Defensive Gun Use

Add to the tactics in the link below. “If the hair on the back of your neck stands up — LEAVE THE AREA.

Keep in mind the best way to survive a fight is to avoid getting into one.

That's pretty much common sense. Where I live a knife is worthless. Any injuries or deaths are the results of gunfire around here. Pulling out a knife here will only end up with you getting shot.

Do you understand what quote is? When you quote a person or a document you are using someone else's words.

Maybe you should go back to 5th grade.
No, my little english majorette.
A quote starts and ends with a " or a '
That pile of dung was YOUR interpretation that highlighted "not be infringed"

Meaning NO REGULATION

You're so dumb you don't even understand you.

This thread topic is defensive gun use not personal weapons of choice.
The personal choice of the firearm you carry makes a BIG difference in a self defense situation. Do you want to carry a Glock 19 with a standard 15 round magazine or a five shot .38 snub nosed revolver like I do? There is a big difference betwwen those two choices. Full sized handguns are HEAVY and a pain in the ass to carry so they get left in the safe when you journey to the store for milk. My .38 snub nosed revolver is so light you hardly realize you are carrying it so it is easy to take with you when you walk out the door.

With the Glock your can fill the air with lead. I only get five tries before I have to reload (unless I am carrying a second revolver). But you are responsible for every shot you fire.

It is very difficult if not impossible to carry a full sized pistol or revolver in your pocket. It is almost impossible to conceal a rifle or shotgun of legal length although it can be done. There are agents with the Secret Service who carry submachine guns. Note this picture from the Reagan assignation attempt.

1678574898344.jpeg

If you open carry in a holster on your belt you will have to draw your weapon to use it for self defense. However if you open carry it is wise to use a retention holster. That may slow your draw unless you practice, practice, practice. Plus in a bad situation, putting your hand on your gun would be seen as very aggressive and could start a fight.

Carrying a handgun concealed on your belt means you likely have an item of clothing to cover the weapon which often has to be moved out of the way in order to draw the weapon. A shoulder holster enables you to easily draw your weapon in a vehicle but is not as fast on the draw as other methods of carrying.

My method of pocket carrying offers a person the opportunity to put his hand on his gun in a bad situation without appearing overly aggressive. If you are using a weapon without an external hammer you can draw it very quickly. In the 25 years I have been carrying concealed there were several times I had my hand on my snub nosed revolver in my pocket. Fortunately I did not have to draw the weapon.

Unfortunately the drawback to pocket carry is you have to use a small handgun with less ammo than a mid or full sized weapon. Compact handguns are also harder to shoot accurately at a distance. However the average gun fight involves “three rounds shot at three yards in three seconds or less.”

Another reason your choice of weapons makes a difference in defensive shooting is if for some reason I have to shove my snub nosed revolver into someone’s stomach it will still fire. A pistol will be pushed out of battery and will not fiire. That’s only reason my S&W .38 is called a belly gun.

That's pretty much common sense. Where I live a knife is worthless. Any injuries or deaths are the results of gunfire around here. Pulling out a knife here will only end up with you getting shot.
As I said in another post I carry a knife as a tool, not for self defense.

Just being alert to your surroundings often is enough to stop some street mugger from robbing you. He may decide to wait for the fool with a cell phone glued to his ear.

OK I just don't like to pocket carry
If I lived up north where it is not unusual to see people with a jacket on for most of the year, I would likely belt carry concealed a medium sized pistol or revolver in a cross draw holster. I am not all that fond of open carry as it might entice some fool to attempt to take my gun away from me.

However I live in the panhandle of Florida and even here a jacket is only necessary a few days each year. Right now at 5:30 PM it is 68° outside.

If I lived up north where it is not unusual to see people with a jacket on for most of the year, I would likely belt carry concealed a medium sized pistol or revolver in a cross draw holster. I am not all that fond of open carry as it might entice some fool to attempt to take my gun away from me.

However I live in the panhandle of Florida and even here a jacket is only necessary a few days each year. Right now at 5:30 PM it is 68° outside.

Correct. When I go out I mostly use my shoulder holster because nobody can see it. It's much more comfortable than a back holster and I can get the gun out quicker if need be. Other nights I did what you say you do, and that is empty out my right pocket, stick the holster in my pants pocket, and it's almost like open carry like the police do. I only wear pocket t-shirts and order them xx long for that reason. You just have to remember to make sure your belt is extra tight.
:badgrin:

Just being alert to your surroundings often is enough to stop some street mugger from robbing you. He may decide to wait for the fool with a cell phone glued to his ear.

I think most of us avoid such situations, but there are times you can't. Years ago my father was trying to get my sisters car back home. She works downtown. It was overheating and he wanted to follow her while she drove for a bit, stop, and let the car cool off. They were going through the real ghetto here. It was night and I knew it was dangerous, so I was going to go down there with my gun and make sure they were okay. Finally my stubborn father took my advice and got the damn thing towed.

My neighborhood is tough and when I go to a family doing, I have no choice but to come home after dark. During Christmas it starts getting dark at 5:00pm.

My method of pocket carrying offers a person the opportunity to put his hand on his gun in a bad situation without appearing overly aggressive. If you are using a weapon without an external hammer you can draw it very quickly. In the 25 years I have been carrying concealed there were several times I had my hand on my snub nosed revolver in my pocket. Fortunately I did not have to draw the weapon.

Unfortunately the drawback to pocket carry is you have to use a small handgun with less ammo than a mid or full sized weapon. Compact handguns are also harder to shoot accurately at a distance. However the average gun fight involves “three rounds shot at three yards in three seconds or less.”

I would disagree there. For the street I take my S&W 9mm. It's mostly plastic so it's light and I have a 17 round clip in it at all times. Not too heavy at all.

I would disagree there. For the street I take my S&W 9mm. It's mostly plastic so it's light and I have a 17 round clip in it at all times. Not too heavy at all.
I’ll bet you do not pocket carry.

Also I grew up near Cleveland. It is cold much of the year which makes concealing a large or medium pistol easier as you often wear a jacket.

I live in Florida. There are only a few days in Florida where you wear a jacket. It gets hot down here. I live in the panhandle but my AC has bee running today to cool my home. Not my heater, but my AC.

I know a businessman who carries an Glock under his suit jacket and a man who is not in the medical field who carries a Glock under some medical scrubs. I don’t feel like wearing a suit or looking like a nurse or doctor.just so I can carry a a Glock with a 17 round magazine. Wear a Hawaiian shirt or a photographers jacket in Florida and everybody knows you are packing heat.

I’ll bet you do not pocket carry.

Also I grew up near Cleveland. It is cold much of the year which makes concealing a large or medium pistol easier as you often wear a jacket.

I live in Florida. There are only a few days in Florida where you wear a jacket. It gets hot down here. I live in the panhandle but my AC has bee running today to cool my home. Not my heater, but my AC.

I know a businessman who carries an Glock under his suit jacket and a man who is not in the medical field who carries a Glock under some medical scrubs. I don’t feel like wearing a suit or looking like a nurse or doctor.just so I can carry a a Glock with a 17 round magazine. Wear a Hawaiian shirt or a photographers jacket in Florida and everybody knows you are packing heat.

I mentioned I do pocket carry from time to time, mostly when I don't have a jacket on. It's not a problem at all but again, you have to make sure your pants belt is tight. In colder months I always wear my shoulder holster. A pain in the ass to put it on but you can just about carry anything with a shoulder holster without being a problem.

I think most of us avoid such situations, but there are times you can't. Years ago my father was trying to get my sisters car back home. She works downtown. It was overheating and he wanted to follow her while she drove for a bit, stop, and let the car cool off. They were going through the real ghetto here. It was night and I knew it was dangerous, so I was going to go down there with my gun and make sure they were okay. Finally my stubborn father took my advice and got the damn thing towed.

My neighborhood is tough and when I go to a family doing, I have no choice but to come home after dark. During Christmas it starts getting dark at 5:00pm.
I lived in Tampa for 37 years. I bought a home in a nice neighborhood which deteriorated over the years and turned in an area with gangs and a lot of crime. I paid the house off and stayed in that home until I retired. Since then I have lived in more rural areas with a low crime rate.

Still in today’s world even low crime areas can be dangerous. I know a guy who recently was driving and an individual got pissed at him and shot into his car. Fortunately he was not injured. So I still carry. One never knows when having a handgun with you might be a good idea.

I mentioned I do pocket carry from time to time, mostly when I don't have a jacket on. It's not a problem at all but again, you have to make sure your pants belt is tight. In colder months I always wear my shoulder holster. A pain in the ass to put it on but you can just about carry anything with a shoulder holster without being a problem.
When I travel in my car I sometimes wear a shoulder holster with a 1911 .45 auto in it. Putting a shoulder holster on to go to the store for beer seems to be a lot of effort.

I agree

It all comes down to threat and personal safety
A person trespassing or taking your “stuff” is not a personal threat.
According to your thinking. But what about the various laws of the States?

If an intruder into your home happens to be intent on only stealing your property, you maintain that the homeowner has or should have no right to use his gun? Why not.

In NY State, the law recognizes that a felony burglary in one’s home is a violent crime, by legal definition. Accordingly, at that moment, the homeowner is a victim of a violent crime in his own residence.

Maybe you (if you had your own legal gun in your own home and in your hand) wouldn’t shoot the burglar. But others might feel justifiably threatened. And they might pull their triggers.

Why shouldn’t they?

Forum List

Back