Dead Man

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Just saw this recently and still not sure what to make of it. It was definitely interesting but strangely put together. It's done in black and white, has a cast of well known names and faces and all I can say about it is weird, but in a somewhat fascinating way.
The cast, just to name a few:
Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer, Billy Bob Thornton, Iggy Pop, Mili Avital, Crispin Glover, John Hurt, Michael Wincott, Lance Henriksen, and Robert Mitchum.

Dead Man is the story of a young man's journey, both physically and spiritually, into very unfamiliar terrain. William Blake travels to the extreme western frontiers of America sometime in the 2nd half of the 19th century. Lost and badly wounded, he encounters a very odd, outcast Native American, named "Nobody," who believes Blake is actually the dead English poet of the same name. The story, with Nobody's help, leads William Blake through situations that are in turn comical and violent. Contrary to his nature, circumstances transform Blake into a hunted outlaw, a killer, and a man whose physical existence is slowly slipping away. Thrown into a world that is cruel and chaotic, his eyes are opened to the fragility that defines the realm of the living. It is as though he passes through the surface of a mirror, and emerges into a previously-unknown world that exists on the other side.

Dead Man (1995) - IMDb

I really liked that movie.

Weird in a fascinating way describes it pretty well.

It sort of reminded me of Camus' "The Stranger".

I have a sneaking suspicion that the authors of that movie were going for that existentialist feel when they were crafting this film, too

Last edited:
I really liked that movie.

Weird in a fascinating way describes it pretty well.

It sort of reminded me of Camus' "The Stranger".

I have a sneaking suspicion that the authors of that movie were going for that existentialist feel when they were crafting this film, too

When I first started watching it with the flipping back and forth between Depp and the train I was a little sceptical but as it moved on I was drawn in occasionally out of shear morbid curiosity. I guess I can say I did like it.

i will look next time i am at walmart...netflix is too much trouble....its old enough to be on one of the movie channels but i have never seen it

Forum List

Back