De Blasio Announces Addition Of Muslim Holidays To NYC Public Schools Calendar

It's not an issue here. Because some want to call winter break "Christmas vacation" is their choice. There really are no christian holidays that the schools take off.

Next

You mean schools (and govt offices) no longer get xmas off?

Why would conservatives freak out? They actually believe in the Bill of rights, you know, not just the first amendment, but the second as well. . . .

What does the topic of this thread have to do with either?

Conservatives, in general, support the constitution and the Bill of Rights. You will see multiple threads posted by folks on the left that wish to rearrange the constitution to get rid of the peoples right to bear arms. REAL conservatives do not wish to mess with the bill of rights, which guarantees the right to bear arms. Do we not see that in multiple threads?

As a parallel, most conservatives support the freedom of religion, and the establishment clause in the first amendment. When a city or locality decides to make allowances to reflect the preferences of the local population, this is the right of the people. The state is not establishing a religion, but is making an allowance for those who practice a particular religion in that particular locality. This is what the first amendment has been passed for, to allow for the free practice of religion. Most conservatives are FOR the free practice of religion and against the establishment of a state sanctioned religion.

Oh, I understand what you're saying now and I happen to agree with you, however, when it comes to Islam the conservative belief in religious freedom generally goes right out the window.

Like I said in the last part of my post, when it comes to anything partisans on the other side of the aisle are doing, political philosophy usually goes right out the window. People's ego's are too attached to their political dogma to think.

Democrats are generally against war. Generally. Not one word when the POTUS decided to bomb the shit out of and destroy the most prosperous nation in Africa, all because it wanted to start selling it's oil, and create a competing currency based on gold. Now it's a hellish backwater descending into civil war.

Likewise, since this party started bombing the middle east and funneling funds to fighters out there, the ISIS has only gotten bigger. If the Democrats had kept to their "peace" mantra and ignored all of it, there WOULD be more peace. Where do Americans think these thugs get all these weapons of war? China? Russia? Europe? Seriously?

Nobody ever questions CFR run propaganda.

Mayor De Blasio NYC Public Schools Add Muslim Holidays To Calendar CBS New York

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York City public schools have added two Muslim holidays to the school calendar, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina announced Wednesday.

Schools will now close for Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, making New York City the largest school district in the nation to recognize the two holidays on the official school calendar.

“We are committed to having a school calendar that reflects and honors the extraordinary diversity of our students,” said Farina.

De Blasio said the change means that Muslim families won’t be forced to choose between observing the holidays and sending their kids to school.

“They want to celebrate their holiday but they also want to go to school, they love school. So now they don’t have to make that choice and this is why this is so amazing,” mother of three Linda Sarsour told WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell.

The announcement was made at PS/IS 30 in Brooklyn, where officials said 36 percent of students were absent the last time Eid al-Adha fell on a school day.

“We’re here today to make good on a promise to our Muslim brothers and sisters that a holiday of supreme importance to the Muslim community will be recognized in our school calendar so that children can honor the holiday without missing school,” the mayor said.

“I want to thank Mayor de Blasio for adding Eid-al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr to the public school holiday calendar,” said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. “Islam is one of the largest religions in the world, and the Muslim community is thriving not just in The Bronx but throughout the city of New York. This decision allows our city’s Muslim community to fully practice their faith without it interfering with their school attendance and education. As I have said in the past, by recognizing these two important holidays, we show that not only are we welcoming to everyone’s religious beliefs but that we respect everyone’s Constitutional right to freedom of religion.”

Eid al-Adha will be observed for the first time on Sept. 24. Eid-al-Fitr, which falls over the summer, will be designated a holiday for those attending summer school.

AAnnnnnnnd Go!

Yo, that is fine? I just hope when the Mayor passes a law that everyone has to live under Sharia Law, that they show those commies in N.Y. getting their heads :dig: cutoff on National T.V.!!!

"GTP"

"OBAMA HATES AMERICA"

NYC is an educated multi ethnic multi cultural city, it is not slackjaw hick texas flyover country

What part of "unconstitutional" don't you understand?

Is recognizing Christmas as an official school holiday also unconstitutional?

No school recognizes Christmas as an official holiday. Now they call it "winter break."

Which is as it should be.

and 'good friday' that they give the kids off

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York City public schools have added two Muslim holidays to the school calendar, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina announced Wednesday.

Schools will now close for Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, making New York City the largest school district in the nation to recognize the two holidays on the official school calendar.

“We are committed to having a school calendar that reflects and honors the extraordinary diversity of our students,” said Farina.

De Blasio said the change means that Muslim families won’t be forced to choose between observing the holidays and sending their kids to school.

“They want to celebrate their holiday but they also want to go to school, they love school. So now they don’t have to make that choice and this is why this is so amazing,” mother of three Linda Sarsour told WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell.

The announcement was made at PS/IS 30 in Brooklyn, where officials said 36 percent of students were absent the last time Eid al-Adha fell on a school day.

“We’re here today to make good on a promise to our Muslim brothers and sisters that a holiday of supreme importance to the Muslim community will be recognized in our school calendar so that children can honor the holiday without missing school,” the mayor said.

“I want to thank Mayor de Blasio for adding Eid-al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr to the public school holiday calendar,” said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. “Islam is one of the largest religions in the world, and the Muslim community is thriving not just in The Bronx but throughout the city of New York. This decision allows our city’s Muslim community to fully practice their faith without it interfering with their school attendance and education. As I have said in the past, by recognizing these two important holidays, we show that not only are we welcoming to everyone’s religious beliefs but that we respect everyone’s Constitutional right to freedom of religion.”

Eid al-Adha will be observed for the first time on Sept. 24. Eid-al-Fitr, which falls over the summer, will be designated a holiday for those attending summer school.

AAnnnnnnnd Go!

Yo, that is fine? I just hope when the Mayor passes a law that everyone has to live under Sharia Law, that they show those commies in N.Y. getting their heads :dig: cutoff on National T.V.!!!

"GTP"

"OBAMA HATES AMERICA"

i bet you live in whitey christianville in flyover country

NYC is an educated multi ethnic multi cultural city, it is not slackjaw hick texas flyover country

No school recognizes Christmas as an official holiday. Now they call it "winter break."

No they don't.

AAnnnnnnnd Go!

"GTP"

"OBAMA HATES AMERICA"

i bet you live in whitey christianville in flyover country

Yo, bend over and I`ll shove the truth up your azz!!!

"GTP"

"OBAMA HATES AMERICA"

AAnnnnnnnd Go!

in nyc the schools are closed for yom kipper and Rosh Hashanah

No they don't.
bs i am from ny and have a home there, some of my grandkids live there an they do get off for good friday, ignorant dolt

Schools and businesses should no longer have special days taken off...especially religious reasons. Take a week for a winter break and a week for a spring break and summers off for the traditional school calendar. For schools that want year round school, they can alter days and months, but no more special days off.

Schools and businesses should no longer have special days taken off...especially religious reasons. Take a week for a winter break and a week for a spring break and summers off for the traditional school calendar. For schools that want year round school, they can alter days and months, but no more special days off.

Why?

What is the reasoning behind this particular opinion? I'm genuinely curious.

Why?

Our schools are getting so they seldom have a full week of school. If it isn't Presidents day, it's MLK, then teacher's supply day and snow days. Fill in the teacher conference days and basketball games during school hours and those who don't go to the basket ball game at noon can go home! Naturally there's holidays and Friday is movie day. Don't forget the teacher inservice days negotiated by unions and there goes the year!/ And we wonder why our schools are doing so well!

Did I mention the time in the school day for Healthy Bear teaching children how to Brush their teeth ( 2 hours!) Patrolman Pete on crossing the street and looking both ways, Fireman Freddie on drop, roll and something during a fire, and Safety Touch by Miss Eldrich. We won't even bring up the cookie sale launches and sales programs or the candy sale later in the year with their two programs. Add to those and we have bands coming in to entertain the children from the high schools; puppetry, acting and poetry from The Arts and of course a play with ballerinas.

Now if you are a senior here on the board, you can probably think you did not have most of that when you were in school. That when school was about education.

Why?

Our schools are getting so they seldom have a full week of school. If it isn't Presidents day, it's MLK, then teacher's supply day and snow days. Fill in the teacher conference days and basketball games during school hours and those who don't go to the basket ball game at noon can go home! Naturally there's holidays and Friday is movie day. Don't forget the teacher inservice days negotiated by unions and there goes the year!/ And we wonder why our schools are doing so well!

Did I mention the time in the school day for Healthy Bear teaching children how to Brush their teeth ( 2 hours!) Patrolman Pete on crossing the street and looking both ways, Fireman Freddie on drop, roll and something during a fire, and Safety Touch by Miss Eldrich. We won't even bring up the cookie sale launches and sales programs or the candy sale later in the year with their two programs. Add to those and we have bands coming in to entertain the children from the high schools; puppetry, acting and poetry from The Arts and of course a play with ballerinas.

Now if you are a senior here on the board, you can probably think you did not have most of that when you were in school. That when school was about education.

Where are you getting this impression of what goes on in public schools now?

Why?

Where are you getting this impression of what goes on in public schools now?
I am a retired teacher and presently have three grandchildren in school. Elementary, Middle and High School. So what is your impression of my last post?

So you oppose Di Bigmouth's plan to create Muslim school holidays?

I sure do.

Do you?

Do you?

Yes, obviously.

Forum List

Back