Cutting Through the Liberal Nonsense About the Logan Act and the GOP Open Letter to Iran's Despots

"Cutting Through the Liberal Nonsense About the Logan Act and the GOP Open Letter to Iran's Despots"

The letter was in fact wrong and a mistake, many on the right have acknowledged that fact.

Consequently the issue has nothing to do with 'liberals,' and admonishment of the authors of the letter is in no way 'nonsense.'

this letter doesn't even come close to what Pelosi did. she should have been charged under the Logan act. People were calling for it

Stating common knowledge is NOT sabotage and they did nothing of the sort. At least they didn't fly to Iran and sit down with their leaders and speak against the sitting President, as Pelosi did, eh?

Sometimes you clowns need a reminder that the power of the Presidency is limited and the world needs to understand, we have three CO-EQUAL branches of government, that they have to deal with when it comes to treaties and international deals.
You need to be reminded that the executive branch is entirely tasked with diplomacy and negotiating international agreements, congress is only involved when treaties need to be ratified.
Did you write a letter to Pelosi about that when she was sitting and sipping with the Syrian President?
Quit deflecting and address the topic at hand or go away, plenty more Obama bashing threads here.
Deflecting? The fact that out of the 8 times in recent history that the Congress has meddled in executive authority with regards to foreign policy, you cry about the GOP's ONE instance yet ignore the 7 instances of the democrats activity. I won't go away, I won't stop pointing out the hypocrisy, nor will I let it slide. Each time a whine is made about the GOP and Obama, I'll be sure to bring to the forefront the fact that the Democrats have been much more active in this sabotage than the GOP....

I'm less than impressed with the whining.
The difference here is that it was a concerted effort by an entire political party to undermine the president on behalf of Israel to preserve the justification for a future war.
On behalf of Israel? Might want to put that one back in your ass.

The letter, unlike the previous seven traitorous attempts by Democrats to undermine a President of the United States, simply states the truth. That this deal is not permanent, and for it to be permanent, it will have to be ratified as a treaty and that involves Congress. Unlike Kennedy who actually consorted with the enemy in trying to subvert the election system of our country by bringing in the Kremlin to undermine a President....

What is it about the truth that you people detest?

You need to be reminded that the executive branch is entirely tasked with diplomacy and negotiating international agreements, congress is only involved when treaties need to be ratified.
Did you write a letter to Pelosi about that when she was sitting and sipping with the Syrian President?
Quit deflecting and address the topic at hand or go away, plenty more Obama bashing threads here.
Deflecting? The fact that out of the 8 times in recent history that the Congress has meddled in executive authority with regards to foreign policy, you cry about the GOP's ONE instance yet ignore the 7 instances of the democrats activity. I won't go away, I won't stop pointing out the hypocrisy, nor will I let it slide. Each time a whine is made about the GOP and Obama, I'll be sure to bring to the forefront the fact that the Democrats have been much more active in this sabotage than the GOP....

I'm less than impressed with the whining.
The difference here is that it was a concerted effort by an entire political party to undermine the president on behalf of Israel to preserve the justification for a future war.
On behalf of Israel? Might want to put that one back in your ass.

The letter, unlike the previous seven traitorous attempts by Democrats to undermine a President of the United States, simply states the truth. That this deal is not permanent, and for it to be permanent, it will have to be ratified as a treaty and that involves Congress. Unlike Kennedy who actually consorted with the enemy in trying to subvert the election system of our country by bringing in the Kremlin to undermine a President....

What is it about the truth that you people detest?

all they have is LIES and they don't care how they mislead the American people as long as it fits their AGENDA

I hope the people have had ENOUGH of their dirty politics.

this letter doesn't even come close to what Pelosi did. she should have been charged under the Logan act. People were calling for it

You have to be the most ignorant fuck in America...there is NO comparison between Pelosi's BIPARTISAN trip and the letter 47 Senators sent to Iran...NONE.

TOP REPUBLICAN HOUSE MEMBERS MET WITH ASSAD IN SYRIA JUST BEFORE AND THE DAY AFTER THE PELOSI DELEGATION

March 31, 2007 – Assad’s Meeting with Republican Reps. Congressmen Wolf, Pitts, and Aderholt:

April 4, 2007 – Assad’s Meeting with Speaker Pelosi and the Bipartisan Delegation

April 5, 2007 – Assad’s Meeting with Rep. Issa:

THE REPUBLICAN MEMBER OF PELOSI’S DELEGATION SAID THE DELEGATION WAS ON MESSAGE WITH THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION

Jerusalem Post Editorial: Gutsy new House Speaker
(4/11/07)

In fact, David Hobson, a Republican from Ohio who accompanied Pelosi, said that the Speaker did not stray very far from Bush administration policy. Hobson said Pelosi ‘did not engage in any Bush bashing she did not…bash Bush policies as they relate to Syria.’ Instead Hobson said Pelosi urged Assad to curb the number of suicide bombers who cross the Syrian border into Iraq to murder our troops and the Iraqi people.

Congressman Hobson, the Republican member of the bipartisan Pelosi delegation, told the Dayton Daily News (5/29/2007)

“I think actually we’ve helped the[Bush] administration’s position by showing there’s not dissension,” Hobson said.

Mr. Hobson (R-OH) also told the Columbus Dispatch that Speaker Pelosi and the congressional delegation urged Assad to curb the number of suicide bombers who cross the Syrian border into Iraq to “murder our troops and the Iraqi people.”

THE PELOSI DELEGATION TRIP WAS PLANNED BY THE BUSH STATE DEPARTMENT AND EXECUTED BY THE BUSH DEFENSE DEPARTMENT

MSNBC’s Steve Benen – Was Cotton’s stunt unprecedented?

So, does this disprove the criticism of Cotton & Co.? Not really. For one thing, Pelosi notified both the White House and the State Department in advance of her trip.

…Pelosi honored U.S. protocols and worked with the executive branch instead of trying to circumvent it. Let’s also not forget that the Bush administration was not actively involved in delicate negotiations with Syria at the time.

What’s more, the Democratic leader met with Assad in the hopes that engagement would be more productive than isolation, but Pelosi did not encourage the Syrian leader – or any other foreign officials – to ignore the Republican White House or distrust American foreign policy.

The Hill: Pelosi: My trip to Syria was nothing like the GOP’s Iran letter

“This visit was organized by the Bush State Department, executed by the Bush Defense Department, and officials from the Bush Administration’s Embassy at the time in Damascus even sat in the meeting with President Assad,” [Pelosi Spokesman Drew] Hammill said. “As Republican Congressman David Hobson said at the time about the delegation’s visit to Syria, ‘I think we actually helped the administration’s position by showing there’s not dissension.’

“The comparison between the Republican Senator letter to Iran and Leader’s Pelosi bipartisan delegation to the Middle East in 2007 does not stand up to any level of scrutiny,” he charged.

Forum List

Back