Custom 7mm Hunting Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I came across this custom built 7mm Mauser today and picked it up. It sorta has a Art Deco look to it.

a 002 (2).JPG

It was built from a 7mm Mauser Brazilian M1908 military rifle made by Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken-Berlin (DWM of Luger fame) using the '98 action. They were made between 1908 and 1914.....Judging by the serial block I'd say it was made around 1910.

The barrel was cut/crowned to 19" and it was fitted with a adjustable trigger, bent/jeweled bolt with low-throw safety, and topped with a Lyman All American 4 X 32 scope.

Full stocked in walnut with curly maple inlays and end/pistol grip caps. The action is glass bedded. It comes in at 6.8# as pictured.

I would have preferred ebony caps and no inlay but whoever did the stock knew what he was about. Excellent fit and finish w/nicely done checkering.

It's a scope only affair as there are no iron sights.

Wow, that is one sharp looking rifle. I'm not up to snuff on gun history and collecting but I would imagine you paid a pretty penny. How much?

I came across this custom built 7mm Mauser today and picked it up. It sorta has a Art Deco look to it.
Beautiful weapon but I'd prefer a 1903 Springfield. I just don't prefer to be out 1500 bucks for one.

Beautiful weapon but I'd prefer a 1903 Springfield. I just don't prefer to be out 1500 bucks for one.

M1903/M1903A3s are OK but yeah, they are getting pricey....My LGS had a M1903 the other day for $895.00 but overall I'd rate it as shooter grade. It only lasted a couple days.

Better examples can be had for around $1200.00 on average in my AO.

View attachment 670288

It was built from a 7mm Mauser Brazilian M1908 military rifle made by Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken-Berlin (DWM of Luger fame) using the '98 action. They were made between 1908 and 1914.....Judging by the serial block I'd say it was made around 1910.

The barrel was cut/crowned to 19" and it was fitted with a adjustable trigger, bent/jeweled bolt with low-throw safety, and topped with a Lyman All American 4 X 32 scope.

Full stocked in walnut with curly maple inlays and end/pistol grip caps. The action is glass bedded. It comes in at 6.8# as pictured.

I would have preferred ebony caps and no inlay but whoever did the stock knew what he was about. Excellent fit and finish w/nicely done checkering.

It's a scope only affair as there are no iron sights.
I like the craftsmanship of the old Mausers

Imagine a German master machinist being able to make a weapon in 1895 with crude tools that is as good as modern technology can make today

I like the craftsmanship of the old Mausers

Imagine a German master machinist being able to make a weapon in 1895 with crude tools that is as good as modern technology can make today
The M1909 Argentine Mauser is regarded as the Cadillac of .mil Mausers and if there were the craftsmen available to make one today it is estimated it would be a 10K+ rifle and that is just for a bare bones M1909.

The M1909 Argentine Mauser is regarded as the Cadillac of .mil Mausers and if there were the craftsmen available to make one today it is estimated it would be a 10K+ rifle and that is just for a bare bones M1909.
And the modern rifle would still be only as good as but not better than the original

Forum List

Back