Now For Something A Bit Different.....Troy Sporting rifle/PAR.....A Pump Action "AR"

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I know.....But why? you may ask.....What can I say, I like the strange and unusual.....A Pump-Action "AR". Troy calls it both a Troy Sporting Rifle and a PAR.

par 002 (2).JPG

par 003 (2).JPG

A guy from NY came into the shop I was at with a rifle I'd never seen before, a pump-action "AR" built by Troy Industries he wanted to trade-in since he moved to Virginia. I traded for it the next day using one of the Mini-14s I ended up with.....Best straight across trade I've made for a while.

It seems Troy made them around 2015 but I'd never heard tell of them. At the time it was said to be legal in all 50 states and Canada since it's a pump-action though I believe the adjustable side-folding stock is a no-no in Hoserland.....That and their mags have to be pinned to five rounds. The US version will take any AR mag but it shipped with a 10-rounder.

The rifle is sub-MOA at 100 yards though I did install a drop-in CMC "match" trigger I had on hand to help that along. The OEM trigger was more than a tad on the heavy side at 6#.....It also came with a set of the excellent Troy Battle Sight BUIS but I removed those and put them over on a CZ Bren.

It is sorta hard to scope properly but I found that a 1/2" riser combined with low rings did the trick. I'm not a huge fan of a riser/ring combo so I ordered a set of stout six-screw extra tall rings. The scope is a 2 X 7 X 32 Nikon I had.

Troy made them in .223, .300 BO, and .308.....I understand they had a issue with the .308 breaking the alum slide release due to the increased hammer mass.....A guy in Hoserland makes a steel replacement but as no issues have been reported with the .223 I doubt I'll mess with it.

The only thing I plan to do with mine is switch the folding mechanism around so the stock folds to the right side. I'll do that when the new rings come in.

I'm "pumped" by this rifle....It's what a Remington 760 wished it could be. ;)

Forum List

Back