100 Year Old Mosin-Nagant Still Going Strong

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked up this odd-duck today.....It was so homely in a battle worn kind of way I had to take it home.

It's a 1922 Tula-made M91 Dragoon that was converted (roughly) into a 91/30.....The front and rear sights were crudly welded on.

The good thing is that it never saw a post-war refurb. It still has a good bore.

m 009 (3).JPG

m 010 (2).JPG

m 011 (2).JPG

m 006 (2).JPG

Shoot it!

You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't. :laughing0301:
Already have, I was concerned about the crown being beat up but my concern was unfounded. It shot great and since it did not get redone post-war it was very smooth with a 3# trigger after the .mil take-up. The bolt was a mismatch but it too is very smooth.

They really must have wanted to get them out the door to re-sight them so crudely. It was dead-on though.

It was a former M91 Dragoon.

I picked up this odd-duck today.....It was so homely in a battle worn kind of way I had to take it home.

It's a 1922 Tula-made M91 Dragoon that was converted (roughly) into a 91/30.....The front and rear sights were crudly welded on.

The good thing is that it never saw a post-war refurb. It still has a good bore.

View attachment 669504

View attachment 669506

View attachment 669508
View attachment 669509
In order to shoot it I'd sandbag it, string the trigger and fire it from behind a safety barrier........ I don't trust it when something's been welded onto the barrel, if they didn't know what they were doing they could have really screwed it up.

Already have, I was concerned about the crown being beat up but my concern was unfounded. It shot great and since it did not get redone post-war it was very smooth with a 3# trigger after the .mil take-up. The bolt was a mismatch but it too is very smooth.

They really must have wanted to get them out the door to re-sight them so crudely. It was dead-on though.

The only good thing I'll say about Russians is that those Mosins were pretty strong rifles. Jap Arisakas too. I had a beaten to crap Type 38 a couple years ago. When I dug through my ammo stash I found a bunch of what I thought was 6.5 Jap. After running 10 rounds through it, I researched the headstamp and found out it was 6.5 Carcano. The spent cased only had a couple little bulges in them

Last edited:
In order to shoot it I'd sandbag it, string the trigger and fire it from behind a safety barrier........ I don't trust it when something's been welded onto the barrel, if they didn't know what they were doing they could have really screwed it up.
Meh, it shot fine......I suspect only the best vodka-soaked Soviet peasants did the work. ;)

Ignore my other post then. It's also highly probable it was done pre-WWII and reissued.

Ignore my other post then. It's also highly probable it was done pre-WWII and reissued.
Hard to say about the timeline but I've never seen a ex-Dragoon done in such a fashion.

LOL.....That said if you mess with Mosins long enough you see all kinds of odd stuff.....I had a Bannerman carbine conversion of a Westinghouse M91 in .30-06 that used US Krag sights!

Meh, it shot fine......I suspect only the best vodka-soaked Soviet peasants did the work. ;)
I put about 20 rounds through mine before I added one of those gel-type recoil sleeves onto the butt. When I think about those Russian women who killed dozens, even hundreds of Fascists from LONG off, it impresses the hell out of me to this day. Are you going to mount a scope?

That's Roza Shanina and she "blew-away" 59 Nazis, twelve in a single day, before she was killed at age 20.

There were a lot of Nazis. That's what you call a "target rich environment."

I came on a decent deal on M1 Carbine ammo where I bought the Mosin....Four 50 round boxes of M1 Carbine ammo for $25.00 a box. He had six boxes and I was going to buy it all but a friend that was there asked if he could have the other two......Grumble-grumble. ;)

110 gr. Hornady #3017, 14.5 gr. Hodgdon H110, CCI #400 primers, COAL 1.675", avg. velocity 1976 fps.

You have to trim the case length to 1.290". Too short, you get light primer strikes. Too long, they can fire out of battery. Wish I'd kept the last carbine I had. But good luck finding 110 gr. RN bullets back then.

Forum List

Back