Creationism is fine ‘as long as you don’t confuse it with actual science’

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Wednesday on his radio show “Star Talk,” astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson addressed a reader’s query about the Creation Museum and the theory of a “Young Earth,” which is part of the Christian Creationist myth, the idea that the Earth is only a few thousand years old.

“I visited the Creation Museum,” wrote the listener, “purely out of a sense of mystified curiosity. The recorded narration in their planetarium said that contemporary astrophysics predicted [sic] that certain stars were older than the known age of the universe and cited this problem as evidence against science and for Young Earth creationism.”

“I was hoping Neil might tell me a little bit more about the problem and its solution,” the note concluded.

“Which problem?” asked Tyson. “That the Creation Museum exists at all?”

He went on to say that while he has nothing against Creationism museums, per se, “just keep it out of the science classroom.”

“We live in a free country,” he continued, “and you can say whatever you want about whatever. That’s what it means to be free. Just don’t confuse it with actual science.”

Tyson explained that there was a time in the 1990s when astronomers had found evidence of stars that were older than the universe’s estimated 15 billion years. The stars appeared to be in the neighborhood of 18 billion years old.

“And you can’t be older than your mother,” he said.

The Hubble telescope has settled these arguments, said Tyson, insofar as 3 billion years constitutes an actual error in cosmology. That number, he said, is well within the margin of error when estimating objects’ ages in the billions of years.

However, now that we’ve had a better look at the furthest reaches of what we know, scientists concluded that the universe is around 18 billion years old.

The Great Neil Tyson has spoken. Creationism is not science save that shit for the camp fires and snake handling folks

I believe the young earth theory has about went away.. religions seem to be evolving. after all, those corporations gotta keep the money comin in..
crazy how people still worship the bible and what not

Creationism has no supporting evidence and just makes republicans look dumb.

fuck.you, progressive scum

He's right though. Creationism is just someone's mythology and demanding it be put in classrooms is not science and never will be. Slavishly putting it forward makes Republicans look stupid to people who know better, and I'm a Republican.

Barry Goldwater was right. Getting in bed with the Religious Right was horrible for the GOP.

Creationism has no supporting evidence and just makes republicans look dumb.

fuck.you, progressive scum

He's right though. Creationism is just someone's mythology and demanding it be put in classrooms is not science and never will be. Slavishly putting it forward makes Republicans look stupid to people who know better, and I'm a Republican.

Barry Goldwater was right. Getting in bed with the Religious Right was horrible for the GOP.

oh I didnt say he wasnt. he just fuckin disgusts me

Wednesday on his radio show “Star Talk,” astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson addressed a reader’s query about the Creation Museum and the theory of a “Young Earth,” which is part of the Christian Creationist myth, the idea that the Earth is only a few thousand years old.

“I visited the Creation Museum,” wrote the listener, “purely out of a sense of mystified curiosity. The recorded narration in their planetarium said that contemporary astrophysics predicted [sic] that certain stars were older than the known age of the universe and cited this problem as evidence against science and for Young Earth creationism.”

“I was hoping Neil might tell me a little bit more about the problem and its solution,” the note concluded.

He went on to say that while he has nothing against Creationism museums, per se, “just keep it out of the science classroom.”

“We live in a free country,” he continued, “and you can say whatever you want about whatever. That’s what it means to be free. Just don’t confuse it with actual science.”

Tyson explained that there was a time in the 1990s when astronomers had found evidence of stars that were older than the universe’s estimated 15 billion years. The stars appeared to be in the neighborhood of 18 billion years old.

The Hubble telescope has settled these arguments, said Tyson, insofar as 3 billion years constitutes an actual error in cosmology. That number, he said, is well within the margin of error when estimating objects’ ages in the billions of years.

However, now that we’ve had a better look at the furthest reaches of what we know, scientists concluded that the universe is around 18 billion years old.

The Great Neil Tyson has spoken. Creationism is not science save that shit for the camp fires and snake handling folks

GEEZ! YOU snobby, intellectually challenged people while POKING FUN at people who believe i.e. have faith... because they are not using science, practical provable systems..
YOU IDIOTS ALSO believe there are 46 million truly uninsured! AND THIS total ignorance by idiots like you poking fun at creationism are so duplicitous!

YOU believe there are 46 million don't YOU?
Even though 18 million under 34 make over $50k DON"T WANT AND NEED to buy insurance!
PROOF! 'I don't need health care': Millennials threaten success of reform | Al Jazeera America

That leaves 28 million!

Then YOU idiots still stupidly believing there are 46 million even though now the above proves there are 28 million YOU obviously don't comprehend the simple fact that
14 million people answered Census "i don't have insurance.." obviously the Census didn't match and tell these 14 million hey you are at poverty level YOU are covered by Medicaid!
That leaves 14 million supposedly uninsured!
The Actuarial Research Corporation (ARC), estimates that almost 14 million of the uninsured estimated by the CPS in 2004 were reachable through public programs – 9 million through Medicaid and 5 million through SCHIP and other programs.
http://coverageforall.org/pdf/BC-BS_Uninsured-America.pdf

Did you know the CENSUS AGREES!! 10 million people called "uninsured" are NOT CITIZENS!!!
Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2009 - Income & Wealth - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

THAT leaves 4 million that want and need NOT 46 million that passed ACA!

YET YOU and idiots like you snarky comments about snake handling... YOU are worse!
At least snake handlers can add and subtract... idiots like you and Obama can't do that!

Matthew is 100% correct and healthmyths is attempting to derail the topic.

Last edited:

GEEZ! YOU snobby, intellectually challenged people while POKING FUN at people who believe i.e. have faith... because they are not using science, practical provable systems..
YOU IDIOTS ALSO believe there are 46 million truly uninsured! AND THIS total ignorance by idiots like you poking fun at creationism are so duplicitous!

YOU believe there are 46 million don't YOU?
Even though 18 million under 34 make over $50k DON"T WANT AND NEED to buy insurance!
PROOF! 'I don't need health care': Millennials threaten success of reform | Al Jazeera America

That leaves 28 million!

Then YOU idiots still stupidly believing there are 46 million even though now the above proves there are 28 million YOU obviously don't comprehend the simple fact that
14 million people answered Census "i don't have insurance.." obviously the Census didn't match and tell these 14 million hey you are at poverty level YOU are covered by Medicaid!
That leaves 14 million supposedly uninsured!
The Actuarial Research Corporation (ARC), estimates that almost 14 million of the uninsured estimated by the CPS in 2004 were reachable through public programs – 9 million through Medicaid and 5 million through SCHIP and other programs.
http://coverageforall.org/pdf/BC-BS_Uninsured-America.pdf

Did you know the CENSUS AGREES!! 10 million people called "uninsured" are NOT CITIZENS!!!
Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2009 - Income & Wealth - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

THAT leaves 4 million that want and need NOT 46 million that passed ACA!

YET YOU and idiots like you snarky comments about snake handling... YOU are worse!
At least snake handlers can add and subtract... idiots like you and Obama can't do that!

Here is what I see:

ransom_note.jpg

Jake and you other idiots that can't add and subtract why in the hell would I consider your validity regarding creationism... when YOU can't even admit
simple math!

NOW prove me wrong! There never were 46 million "uninsured"!
Yet you poke fun at creationism and you are believing a total myth!
MY scientific SOURCED material shows how dumb you guys poking fun at people who at LEAST can add and subtract... YOU can't obviously!

Seriously what a pompous bunch of total idiots making fun of people while YOU believe the phony proven bogus number of 46 million uninsured!

Dear Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson,

Essentially all you said was:

"Reality is fine, as long as you don't confuse it with my worldview."

What part of reality is the real movie 2012 like flood occurring a few thousand years ago and earth being only 6k years old???? Seems nuts.

That's because it is nuts.

However, those who believe the Earth is only 6,000 are a tiny minority of the religious community.

YOU IDIOTS ALSO believe there are 46 million truly uninsured!

Good afternoon, boys and girls and welcome to Name That Logical Fallacy. Let's begin:

Science once said the Earth was flat! They were wrong! Therefore, this proves our government leaders are alien lizards and they created the Earth 6,000 years ago. QED.

Last edited:

Jake and you other idiots that can't add and subtract why in the hell would I consider your validity regarding creationism... when YOU can't even admit
simple math!

NOW prove me wrong! There never were 46 million "uninsured"!
Yet you poke fun at creationism and you are believing a total myth!
MY scientific SOURCED material shows how dumb you guys poking fun at people who at LEAST can add and subtract... YOU can't obviously!

Seriously what a pompous bunch of total idiots making fun of people while YOU believe the phony proven bogus number of 46 million uninsured!

Stop trolling with your irrelevant information and go argue in an obamacare thread or something; I'm sure there are plenty of them.

---

I used to be religious (Jewish, actually) when I was younger, and despite being taught that the earth was that young, I never really believed it.

healthmyths and TK are chanting about themselves, ""Reality is fine, as long as you don't confuse it with my worldview."

"My worldview is fine, as long as you don't confuse it with reality."

FTFY

Good afternoon, boys and girls and welcome to Name That Logical Fallacy. Let's begin:

Science once said the Earth was flat! They were wrong! Therefore, this proves our government leaders are alien lizards and they created the Earth 6,000 years ago. QED.

OOH OOH OOH

Is it argumentum ad ignorantiam?

"Your worldview is fine, as long as you don't confuse it with reality."

FTFY

OOH OOH OOH

Is it argumentum ad ignorantiam?

Mmmm, not quite. An example of Argumentum ad Ignorantiam would be, "I have put a bag of potato chips on Pluto. You can't prove I didn't, so that means I did."

The earth is over 4 billion years old
humans evolved from chimps ;)
There isn't enough water on earth to flood all of the mountains
dino's are tens of millions of years old and people never played with them.
There isn't super powers outside of science that helps people!

I think where many religious people go wrong is when they make falsifiable claims.

Believing in God is one thing and can't really be proven or disproven. However, claiming God built the Earth six thousand years ago is something that can be tested and proven or disproven.

The problem with some people is they have invested their faith in God in the falsifiable claim. So they defend the indefensible ( a 6,000 year old Earth) because they are defending their faith in God at the same time.

That's ego, not God.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back