Cover songs that in your opinion are better than the original

Good choice! I was going to do "Hurt" in a little while!

I thought about posting that video, but I decided that it was too obvious a choice. It's a hell of a cover, though.

When the original artist has this to say about the cover, you know its taken it over.

I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure.[9]

Young's sounds like a campfire song.

The same guy who did Ooh Baby Baby earlier in the thread did this one.. I could see people hootin' and holleran' and doing a nice two step to this one. And I really like the banjo.

Here is a different twist on this theme, the original is a great instrumental and the cover is an even better vocal.

AC/DC Original: Thunderstruck

Cover by Steve 'n' Seagulls

Hard to top the epic rock original, but this Finnish 'bluegrass' band does something special with it.

the real original (not the Tim Rose Rip off)

The most famous cover-and very good

and the best IMHO

I'll throw this out- not that anyone will get it...

But yeah, it's way better than the original.

ever hear Annie Haslam's cover?

No and I looked but can't find her singing America. Lil' help?

I hear it on satellite radio every once in a while

its off the album Songs from Renaissance days-no you tube I could find

I saw a 40+ minute vid on youtube. It may include America. But yeah doesn't surprise me. She's been working with Steve Howe for 30 some years now. :thup:

I'll throw this out- not that anyone will get it...

But yeah, it's way better than the original.

ever hear Annie Haslam's cover?

No and I looked but can't find her singing America. Lil' help?

I hear it on satellite radio every once in a while

its off the album Songs from Renaissance days-no you tube I could find

I saw a 40+ minute vid on youtube. It may include America. But yeah doesn't surprise me. She's been working with Steve Howe for 30 some years now. :thup:

IMHO the three greatest UK modern lady vocalists are these three

Maddy Prior-Steeleye Span
Annie Haslam-Rennaissnce
Sandy (RIP) Denny-Fairport Convention, and (for one song) LZ

Forum List

Back