Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

Come back hjmick, to the present.

Oh I am very much living in the present. I am of the opinion that the phrase "under GOD" has served it's purpose. I am also of the opinion that it is past time to remove it from the Pledge.

And you moved here from what country?

Sorry, lived my whole life here. Even said the Pledge as a kid. Voted for Reagan, too. I own guns and don't like the healthcare bill.

The risk as I see it is if we stop saying that we are "one nation, under god" that some other nation may make that claim.

We don't want to stop being Gods favorite

If you didn't like the letter E would you not use it. If its American, and you claim to be American, then live like An American.

Well, since we said the pledge for 62 years without "under GOD" and have only been saying it for 56 years with "under GOD," I'd say that, based on those numbers, it's more "American" without "under GOD."

That makes as much sense as anything else...

Our founding fathers did not want "under god" in the pledge..

Where are all of our fundamentalists?

Perhaps they choose not to bother because the Founding Fathers had nothing to do with the Pledge?

Last edited:
Those un-Americans

Really? I was led to believe that it is not manditory to leave those Johnny Come Lately words out. Are you saying we are not real Americans if we leave "under god" out?

If you didn't like the letter E would you not use it. If its American, and you claim to be American, then live like An American.

I AM living like an American. And I certainly would not believe a true American would insist on FORCING others to say Johnny come lately words that are not true or even meaningful.

Oh I am very much living in the present. I am of the opinion that the phrase "under GOD" has served it's purpose. I am also of the opinion that it is past time to remove it from the Pledge.

And you moved here from what country?

Sorry, lived my whole life here. Even said the Pledge as a kid. Voted for Reagan, too. I own guns and don't like the healthcare bill.

Isn't it interesting....?

Don't care either way, frankly its a little petty and IMO a waste of time and resources to fight such a thing. Who cares?

Its about time we get a court with some backbone. Do you think other countries would change their way of life or beliefs just because you move there to live, da no. So why should America.
so no natural born american is athiest or agnostic and doesn't believe in god? that's completely absurd.

Many people who move here don't have a problem with under god, as they are religious themselves

Those un-Americans

Really? I was led to believe that it is not manditory to leave those Johnny Come Lately words out. Are you saying we are not real Americans if we leave "under god" out?

I don't think you have a clue what "America" is about

I'm surprise no one pointed out the fact that this came from the 9th Circuit Court; a court that has been painted as a liberal-leaning court.

This should piss the so-called athiest off.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld the use of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency, rejecting arguments on Thursday that the phrases violate the separation of church and state.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel rejected two legal challenges by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow, who claimed the references to God disrespect his religious beliefs.

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

The Facts

The pledge is a pledge to our nation.....

NOT to a god or religion.

I have no problem with reciting the pledge in schools but it should be the ORIGINAL PLEDGE with NO religous references.

Well, since we said the pledge for 62 years without "under GOD" and have only been saying it for 56 years with "under GOD," I'd say that, based on those numbers, it's more "American" without "under GOD."

Some around here are fond of saying we need to progress. Looks like 56 years ago we did. The courts say we still can. Some of you have God issues. Work them out without stepping on my Constitutional rights. Thanks.

Some around here are fond of saying we need to progress. Looks like 56 years ago we did. The courts say we still can. Some of you have God issues. Work them out without stepping on my Constitutional rights. Thanks.

how are your rights being stepped on?

seems to me that the constitutional rights of Americans who do not believe in god are being stepped on.

millions of atheists would probably LOVE to recite the pledge of allegiance to America in its' original NON-religious form.

the answer is obvious.

remove "under god"
it does NOT belong in a pledge to America.

how are your rights being stepped on?

seems to me that the constitutional rights of Americans who do not believe in god are being stepped on.

millions of atheists would probably LOVE to recite the pledge of allegiance to America in its' original NON-religious form.

the answer is obvious.

remove "under god"
it does NOT belong in a pledge to America.

just the typical dishonest argument being made as usual, speaking of saveliberty's post of course

Now lets get prayer back in school and maybe kids could learn about morals and quit shooting each other.

Forum List

Back