Cookware...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Looking to buy some new cookware; frying pans, specifically.

I'd like them to be non-stick, which is to say that my smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend would like them to be non-stick. We're currently looking at some by All-Clad. They've got a 10" pan for $189 on Amazon, and the reviews are very good.

Whatchoo usin'??

I use cast iron. Seasoned by heating and spreading oil on it and let it sit. When frying, heat first, then quickly put oil in then food. Warm pan, cold oil no stick.

To tell you the truth, those orange colored non stick pans seem to work pretty good. My future mother in law has them in her kitchen, and I've cooked with them and they seem pretty decent. You can make an omlette without destroying the thing, and they seem to heat pretty even as well. You don't need to spend big bucks for decent cookware (unless you're trying to impress the person doing the cooking).

To tell you the truth, those orange colored non stick pans seem to work pretty good. My future mother in law has them in her kitchen, and I've cooked with them and they seem pretty decent. You can make an omlette without destroying the thing, and they seem to heat pretty even as well. You don't need to spend big bucks for decent cookware (unless you're trying to impress the person doing the cooking).
The copper pans are no different than any other Teflon. Overheat them once and you're done. Use them 20 times and the coating is gone (in your food.)

Calphalon is the only nonstick I will use - but really cast iron is the way to go.

I think you should need non-stick only for frying eggs - an 8-inch skillet for 1-4 eggs. I would suggest with that, that you get 12 and 20-inch steel skillets. 1 and 4-quart steel sauce pots. And a 12-quart steel stock pot, if you think you'll be doing some large boiling jobs - save some money now, and just wait until the large cook job, and then get it.

I think you should need non-stick only for frying eggs - an 8-inch skillet for 1-4 eggs. I would suggest 12 and 20-inch steel skillets. 1 and 4-quart steel sauce pots. And a 12-quart steel stock pot.

Eggs slide off my cast iron. Yes, I hit it with a shot of Pam as the egg goes down, but very little oil really.

I'd like them to be non-stick, which is to say that my smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend would like them to be non-stick. We're currently looking at some by All-Clad. They've got a 10" pan for $189 on Amazon, and the reviews are very good.

Whatchoo usin'??
Made in.

I have Green Pans and they are very good. I have seen more than one professional chef using them.
For general cooking you can't beat them. Very sturdy, and after 2 years the surface still looks brand new. And i am pretty rough with pans.
I have the Chatham Hard Anodized which are made for the wear of daily use.
And they are not expensive... and most important the product will not leech harmful chemicals in your food. Thus the name "Green Pan"

Having said this - for pan frying steaks/chops - I use cast iron. Noting beats cast iron when pan frying meat.
But cast iron sucks the big one for everything else... too heavy for flip stirring/shaking when stir frying.

Eggs slide off my cast iron. Yes, I hit it with a shot of Pam as the egg goes down, but very little oil really.
Cast Iron is too much a hassle for some people. I had one, but I did not use it because it was so heavy, and I guess, I did not know how to care for it properly. What is your maintenance routine?

Whatchoo usin'??

If ya have the cash I'd go with Le Creuset.
We have around five pieces of their stuff and you just cant beat it.
We also have some All Clad and it's good stuff as well.

The Le Creuset is enamel coated cast iron.
1663104675813.png

Last edited:
Interesting... looks to be a competitor to Green Pan.
Mine were made in Italy, but I was dismayed to learn that Green Pan built a factory in China.
If mine ever wear out... I will look these over.

Cast Iron is too much a hassle for some people. I had one, but I did not use it because it was so heavy, and I guess, I did not know how to care for it properly. What is your maintenance routine?

Never use soap - ever.

Most of the time I just wipe it with a paper towel after use.

If something sticks, put a half cup of water in the pan, bring it to a boil, and gently scrub it with a wire brush while the water is boiling to clean it - for anything stuck on.

Rinse. With the pan still hot, take a paper towel with a teaspoon of cooking oil and wipe all the interior surfaces. This keeps it seasoned. That's it.

If ya have the cash I'd go with Le Creuset.
We have around five pieces of their stuff and you just cant beat it.
We also have some All Clad and it's good stuff as well.
I have two
The Dutch Oven and the smaller one as well.
Awesome for making soup/stews. Awesome.
But impractical for a frying pan. Like cast iron, too heavy.

Heat pan, fry food, when done, rinse pan right away, I use a dish brush and maybe a pinch of Dawn but only if needed. Put the rinsed/clean pan back on the burner, heat a bit, take a paper towel and a tablespoon of oil and coat the pan. Leave it like that until next use.

Last edited:
And whatever you do... I am sure everyone will agree... don't buy the cheap ceramic coated pans at Target/Walmart etc.
These are notorious for wearing out in months, not years.
For the most part, they have came and went... popular for awhile, but didn't take long before their reputation fell and people stopped buying them. I can't believe they still sell them.

Never use soap - ever.

Most of the time I just wipe it with a paper towel after use.

If something sticks, put a half cup of water in the pan, bring it to a boil, and gently scrub it with a wire brush while the water is boiling to clean it - for anything stuck on.

Rinse. With the pan still hot, take a paper towel with a teaspoon of cooking oil and wipe all the interior surfaces. This keeps it seasoned. That's it.
Sometimes I use a pinch of dish soap but, most of the time it's not needed. I saw a chainmail scrubber. What do you think of that? I've never used one.

1663104952909.png

Once you get them seasoned well you really dont have to do much.
If you have something burnt on just put some water in it bring it to a boil and give it a light scrub with a wooden or plastic spatula.
You can also use salt as an abrasive but you have to be careful to not remove the season on the pan.
If it gets to be to far gone put the pan in the oven on broil and it''ll turn all of the seasoning into ash and you just wipe it out and re season.
I highly recommend the Crisbee Stick or Puck. The idea is to put it on the hot pan and wipe it like you're trying to remove it,the key is a super thin layer.
Do that a half dozen times or so and it's good to go.

1663105217023.png

Forum List

Back