Cookware...

I have two
The Dutch Oven and the smaller one as well.
Awesome for making soup/stews. Awesome.
But impractical for a frying pan. Like cast iron, too heavy.

I dont have a problem with the weight but you're right about what they do best.
They make great Dutch Ovens and stew pots. We do have their large oval fry pan that we use to blacken fish,it's works really well for that application.

Carbon steel pans are another option.
You season them the same way you season cast iron.
We have a whole set of De Buyers and they're great if you take the time to season them.
They start out looking like this.....
3070130D-CB03-4452-A090-0E3CB7CE8572_1_201_a.jpeg

After multiple seasonings they look like this.....
9466D309-8262-4661-A8C3-9ACBD1A29FEE_1_201_a.jpeg

It's cute, but I have boiling water in the pan when I clean it, so I need a long handle.

View attachment 695835
Those brushes look pretty cool. I use something similar but usually only use hot water and a dish brush (no metal bristles) as I swish the brush around while the skillet is still hot. I use a hot-pad to hold the handle.

Those brushes look pretty cool. I use something similar but usually only use hot water and a dish brush (no metal bristles) as I swish the brush around while the skillet is still hot. I use a hot-pad to hold the handle.
You have to be gentle with the brass bristles. I've had the plastic ones melt, so switched to wire.

If ya have the cash I'd go with Le Creuset.

Yeah, the cash isn't really an issue.

They have something which has caught the smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend's eye:

TNSP202428-g1.jpg

That 3-piece set is $300. We have a La Creuset outlet store about five miles up the road. Looks like we're going to take a ride up there tomorrow and check them out.

The cast iron skillet we have is great, although I tend to use it only to sear steaks before putting them in the rotisserie (which I haven't done in a long, long time). Also, since the aforementioned smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend does the lion's share of the cooking, it's more what she wants. The cast iron skillet we have is a bit unwieldy for her.

She says the only time she thinks she'd be able to muster up the strength to handle it is when she gonna' swing it at my head...

Yeah, the cash isn't really an issue.

They have something which has caught the smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend's eye:

TNSP202428-g1.jpg

That 3-piece set is $300. We have a La Creuset outlet store about five miles up the road. Looks like we're going to take a ride up there tomorrow and check them out.

The cast iron skillet we have is great, although I tend to use it only to sear steaks before putting them in the rotisserie (which I haven't done in a long, long time). Also, since the aforementioned smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend does the lion's share of the cooking, it's more what she wants. The cast iron skillet we have is a bit unwieldy for her.

She says the only time she thinks she'd be able to muster up the strength to handle it is when she gonna' swing it at my head...
She's hot blooded, smokin hot and cooks!! Buy her what she wants!!!!

Carbon steel pans are another option.
You season them the same way you season cast iron.
We have a whole set of De Buyers and they're great if you take the time to season them.
They start out looking like this.....
View attachment 695821

After multiple seasonings they look like this.....
View attachment 695824
Good info to know.

Our steel pans are circa 1800's to early 1900's. Lightweight and we have had the carbon steel ones for thirty plus years along with our heavy cast we have had for over forty years. My favorite for eggs we only use for eggs. If I leave one out say for instance set a pan of goods out for the dogs I end up using a little steel wook, oil and heatand presto they are like new again.

Forum List

Back