Congressional republicans continue to slide!

maineman

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2006
guess
How will republicans spin this latest blow to their fake aura of invincibility?

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. July 18-21, 2007. N=1,125 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the REPUBLICANS in Congress are doing their job?"
7/18-21/07
Approve 34
Disapprove 64
Unsure 2

5/29 - 6/1/07
Approve 36
Disapprove 58
Unsure 6

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. July 18-21, 2007. N=1,125 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the DEMOCRATS in Congess are doing their job?"

7/18-21/07
Approve 46
Disapprove 51
Unsure 2

5/29 - 6/1/07
Approve 44
Disapprove 49
Unsure 6

Are we really gonna re-hash this crap again? This asanine who is disliked more debate? Give me a break. "Oh yeah, well they dislike you more than they dislike me." What exactley is your point MM? Look at the big picutre would ya. The majority of American's do not approve of congresses performance. That's what that poll says. This who is disliked more crap is meaningless.

• Banned
Are we really gonna re-hash this crap again? This asanine who is disliked more debate? Give me a break. "Oh yeah, well they dislike you more than they dislike me." What exactley is your point MM? Look at the big picutre would ya. The majority of American's do not approve of congresses performance. That's what that poll says. This who is disliked more crap is meaningless.

meaningless? (I guess that answered my opening question)

I would suggest that the trends are instructive. I would suggest that the relative position of the parties might very well translate into the voting booth where people oftentimes are asked to chose the lesser of two evils.

and finally. Does your computer work differently than mine? When I come to this site, I actually get to chose which threads I read and which ones I don't read. And then after I read one, I get to chose whether or not I respond to it.

Don't like the thread? go fuck yourself and read something else.

you ain't my mommy.

I find this thread uplifting.

Especially after seeing the very same thread against Dems, posted every other day by RSR. (talk about re-hashing)

Who also, conveniently refuses to acknowledge the Republican approval ratings.

Up 2 percent !! :thup: Goo Dems!

LOL...I have a prediction about this thread...

This is going to turn into a pissing contest between RSR and maineman.

These threads about polls always do :)

• Banned
LOL...I have a prediction about this thread...

This is going to turn into a pissing contest between RSR and maineman.

These threads about polls always do :)

lol

I predict that, if rsr even shows his pimply face on this thread, that he will only do so to post yet another poll talking about public opinion of congress and attempt to sell it - yet again - as if it is a public opinion poll about democrats.

meaningless? (I guess that answered my opening question)

I would suggest that the trends are instructive. I would suggest that the relative position of the parties might very well translate into the voting booth where people oftentimes are asked to chose the lesser of two evils.

and finally. Does your computer work differently than mine? When I come to this site, I actually get to chose which threads I read and which ones I don't read. And then after I read one, I get to chose whether or not I respond to it.

Don't like the thread? go fuck yourself and read something else.

you ain't my mommy.

And I get to look at threads and respond to what I think is stupid, so you can jump off that particualr pedestal. So you go fuck yourself, preacher boy.

this back and forth 5th grade playground we're better than you crap when both sides are basically aweful is stupid.

And lastly it's a fuckin' poll. As in an opinion. Just because people may think something doesn't mean it's accurate or has any real truth to it. the continuation of our instant gratification society is makeing us dumber every day.

• Banned
And I get to look at threads and respond to what I think is stupid, so you can jump off that particualr pedestal. So you go fuck yourself, preacher boy.

this back and forth 5th grade playground we're better than you crap when both sides are basically aweful is stupid.

And lastly it's a fuckin' poll. As in an opinion. Just because people may think something doesn't mean it's accurate or has any real truth to it. the continuation of our instant gratification society is makeing us dumber every day.

and I get to respond. no pedestal here.

if you look at the trend, democrat's in congress are quickly nearing a point where the majority of americans will approve of THEIR performance. then one will have to ask oneself, if the public opinion of congress is still in the toilet, what might be the source of that negative attitude.

public opinion polls have always been instructive for politicians to help them fine tune their agenda and their message. I would suggest that being able to make such minor adjustments in tone and measuring their results helps political parties better meet the needs of people.

and I get to respond. no pedestal here.

if you look at the trend, democrat's in congress are quickly nearing a point where the majority of americans will approve of THEIR performance. then one will have to ask oneself, if the public opinion of congress is still in the toilet, what might be the source of that negative attitude.

public opinion polls have always been instructive for politicians to help them fine tune their agenda and their message. I would suggest that being able to make such minor adjustments in tone and measuring their results helps political parties better meet the needs of people.

But this poll doesn't jive with with last weeks that congressional approval (with no specifics as to right or left) was in the teens. this changed in a week. You want to convince me that essentially an 80% disapproval rating (at least) of congress was mainly do to republicans when they aren't even in power? I think not.

As far as being instructive yeah, sure, they let politicians know what people want to hear, so they say it. That's real leadership there. Politcal parties meet the needs of the people. Bullshit. They do what ever they need to do to meet their political needs with no moral conviction behind it.

It's not like it's a major difference. We are talking a matter of a few points and the Democraps arn't doing much better.

But this poll doesn't jive with with last weeks that congressional approval (with no specifics as to right or left) was in the teens. this changed in a week. You want to convince me that essentially an 80% disapproval rating (at least) of congress was mainly do to republicans when they aren't even in power? I think not.

As far as being instructive yeah, sure, they let politicians know what people want to hear, so they say it. That's real leadership there. Politcal parties meet the needs of the people. Bullshit. They do what ever they need to do to meet their political needs with no moral conviction behind it.

This poll asks a specific question...and different pollsters get different results. Polls are really only valuable when you examine the trends in any one poll...comparing Harris to Gallup makes no sense.

And I disagree with your jaded conclusion. The political needs of a political party begin and end with one thing: votes. And why do they WANT those votes? So that they can get done the things that they believe in. If you do not meet people's needs, or at least be perceived to do a better job meeting people's needs than the other guy, you won't get elected. And knowing and having known politicians and being the son of a politician, I can tell you that the vast majority of the ones I know, have known, or known of had an abundance of moral conviction.

What works better for a particular business? Advertise a "50% off sale", or advertise "buy one, get one FREE"? Don't know? Ask a focus group. take a poll. find out. fine tune your message. There is nothing immoral or in any way less than ethical about that. it only makes sense.

It's not like it's a major difference. We are talking a matter of a few points and the Democraps arn't doing much better.

it's 12 points. but nice spin.

and if the "democraps" are so "crappy", what does that 12% tell you of how shitty america thinks of republicans???? :rofl:

This poll asks a specific question...and different pollsters get different results. Polls are really only valuable when you examine the trends in any one poll...comparing Harris to Gallup makes no sense.

It isn't that it doesn't make sense. It's that it's inconvenient for your argument. The poll showing congress approval in the teens I beleive was done by Zogby. That being the case what makes ABC's poll more valid than Zogbys? They certainly both can't be accurate. 46% and 34% approval rating for dems and reps respectively, yet last week only 14% approval by congress overall? That's what makes no sense. For ABC that should translate into and approval rating for congress of 40%. That's a pretty big difference.

It isn't that it doesn't make sense. It's that it's inconvenient for your argument. The poll showing congress approval in the teens I beleive was done by Zogby. That being the case what makes ABC's poll more valid than Zogbys? They certainly both can't be accurate. 46% and 34% approval rating for dems and reps respectively, yet last week only 14% approval by congress overall? That's what makes no sense. For ABC that should translate into and approval rating for congress of 40%. That's a pretty big difference.

again: it is apples and oranges, not big apples and little apples. the opinion of congress has a lot to do with how the people preceive the two parties getting along and getting things done - together. the polls about individual parties do not contain that component and have a lot more to do with agenda. pretty basic.

Why shouldn't they? Opinion polls are worthless as indicators of anything.
oh come on...

you may not want to bet the farm on them, but they are hardly "worthless"....that is just plain rhetorical hyperbole. They all have a margin of error, but they all do, in fact, measure how the public perceives people and events. And in politics, perception is reality because it will more often than not translate to a vote.

oh come on...

you may not want to bet the farm on them, but they are hardly "worthless"....that is just plain rhetorical hyperbole. They all have a margin of error, but they all do, in fact, measure how the public perceives people and events. And in politics, perception is reality because it will more often than not translate to a vote.

Actually I'm waiting for several questions that have not been asked, to be asked. Here's 2:

1. Should the US withdraw from Iraq regardless of the recommendations of the generals on the ground?

2. If the Surge is succeeding, but may result in US troops remaining in Iraq for the forseeable future, should it continue?

Actually I'm waiting for several questions that have not been asked, to be asked. Here's 2:

1. Should the US withdraw from Iraq regardless of the recommendations of the generals on the ground?

2. If the Surge is succeeding, but may result in US troops remaining in Iraq for the forseeable future, should it continue?

1. If the national command authority decides that our presence there is an integral part of our foreign policy, we should stay, regardless of what the generals say. If we decide the other way, we should leave with the same disregard for the opinions of the uniformed policy implementers. The day the uniformed services think they have any special role in foreign policy determination in this country is the day that the scenario in Seven Days in May becomes a very real possibility. Uniforms go where they are told and do what they are told with the greatest professionalism they can muster. period.

2. Only if the conditions of point #1 are met. If the surge "succeeds" but the "success" is part of an endeavor that we determine is not in our national interest. we should leave regardless of the level of "success".

1. If the national command authority decides that our presence there is an integral part of our foreign policy, we should stay, regardless of what the generals say. If we decide the other way, we should leave with the same disregard for the opinions of the uniformed policy implementers. The day the uniformed services think they have any special role in foreign policy determination in this country is the day that the scenario in Seven Days in May becomes a very real possibility. Uniforms go where they are told and do what they are told with the greatest professionalism they can muster. period.

2. Only if the conditions of point #1 are met. If the surge "succeeds" but the "success" is part of an endeavor that we determine is not in our national interest. we should leave regardless of the level of "success".

If I'm misunderstanding your take, please fix. From what I'm reading, you agree that Congress should be deciding our war decisions, beyond their ability to withdraw funding. i.e. ignoring or changing the Constitution?

Forum List

Back