Confidential Informants insanity

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2004
52.5 N 1.5 W
Dunno if this story has had much coverage in the US, but here you go:

Take the case of 46-year-old John Horner, a fast-food restaurant worker who was prescribed painkillers after he lost an eye in an accident in 2000.

Three years ago he was befriended by a man called Matt (not his real name).

"We kind of clicked right off the bat. One day he came to where I worked. We were standing there talking, and I realised he was in pain," says Horner.

"He laid it out on me, 'Look dude, I can either pay my rent or go buy my prescriptions. I can't do both.' I decided Matt was a friend. I said, 'I'll help you out.'"

What Horner didn't know was that Matt was an informant working for the Osceola County Sheriff's Office in central Florida.

Over a period of several weeks, Horner provided Matt with four bottles of prescription pain pills - morphine and hydrocodone. He says he also lent him money. On the last occasion Horner handed over pills, he was arrested.

"The next thing I know I got a guy's knee in the back of my neck grinding my face into the concrete. I'm told, 'You're under arrest for trafficking.'"

For the exiting conclusion of this :cuckoo: see here.

Moron. He should have just offered to pay the guys rent.

Sometimes the only way stupidity can be fixed is with a knee in the back of the neck and a face grinding.

btw, the BBC is not telling the whole story. If the guy was being offered a plea bargain where he was to testify against five other people, it was an organized illegal drug sales ring, not the portrayed "I just wanted to help a guy out" situation.

Typical BBC reporting.

He just wanted to help the guy out, by selling him pain pills that had been stolen from someone else. It makes perfect sense.

btw, the BBC is not telling the whole story. If the guy was being offered a plea bargain where he was to testify against five other people, it was an organized illegal drug sales ring, not the portrayed "I just wanted to help a guy out" situation.

Typical BBC reporting.

I'm surprised then, that if it was a drugs ring, he couldn't find anyone to snitch on. Isn't that the point of the story: complete over the top drug enforcement, cos at the end it says the Matt guy who got him arrested, and had a string of drugs convictions got his 5 snitches and is currently free. To me that makes the 25 years in jail for giving someone prescription drugs seems a tad excessive. (I agree his motivations might not be as altruistic as presented in the story - it's a bit vague on whether or not he was trying to make money by selling drugs - not that that matters as far as the law is concerned).

What also annoys me about these long sentences is the cost of (I'm guestimating) $500,000 to keep him locked up for all that time! I don't know much about Florida law; would it be likely he would serve the whole sentence?

it seems the laws perfer this man in pain drink himslef to death to ease his pain

Forum List

Back