Computer technology and this internet.

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
Is it possible for companies like Microsoft and such, to somehow decide to render a product unstable or unusable if they are wanting the customer to either upgrade or change to another computer and/or newer OS system ? Are these companies dependent on their survival or their profitting by doing these sorts of things to us ?

I have a computer that I didn't use much, so it is like new even though it is old or older, but it was a very good running computer (top of the line), and very fast also. Well it was down for a while in storage, and when I placed it back in action it ran great just like it always did, umm well until I hooked it back up to the internet. That is where it all began to act strange in so many ways. Then I see all these upgrade messages, because XP is or will no longer be supported. In the mean time my computer is having more and more problems as it tries to surf and be on the net. I can't help but think that I am being sabotaged somehow, even though I may not be.

This comp has all but quit doing anything right, and I haven't been anywhere but to a few places on the net since I got it back on line, and as well I have Norton anti-virus protection that I pay for also. Every time I run my norton scan, it brings back a result of 15 tracking cookies resolved and fixed. Where does all these tracking cookies come from, and shouldn't these companies be asking before they are putting things into your computer like that with people unaware ? Is the net a set up, otherwise soon you will be paying more and more and more just to stay active, and then up to date just to remain upon it ?

Rendering equipment useless, even when it has enough factory horsepower under the hood still, to me is just sad and not right. How many people out there will not be able to keep pace, so aren't they eventually shooting themselves in their own foot, otherwise if they are doing things that render equipment and software out of date and/or useless like this ?

You would think that the goal would be to keep everyone running, and then to offer products that enhances the experience of the user, and this reagardless of who they are always. To render equipment (the computers themselves) usless as is the case it seems, I think is shooting themselves in their own foot again. The goal should be to keep as many active on the net as possible (regardless of their computer performance), but to work the software upgrades customized for the user and level the user is at instead. These softwares could be tuned to different computer systems in order to keep all system alive for as long as possible, and this way you will keep all levels of classes on line for as long as possible.

To create softwares that are only workable on certain computers or OS systems, is shooting oneself in the foot. Older technologies are still way beyond their time, and still should be workable in the enviroment, but undoubtedly these major corporations don't see it that away. They must think that everyone is doing great these days, even though people can barely stay in their own homes anymore, so go figure that one.

I am also experiencing another problem, where as my provider is saying I need an upgrade to another faster package, and this way I can stream youtube and netflix without buffering so bad, but here's the kicker " I was streaming these sites without any problem until recently", now it's like I'm back to dial up when it comes to streaming these video's. WHAT!!! Now I need a package that cost $5.00 dollars more a month ? How coincidental is that ? I have lap tops that are the latest and greatest with windows 7, but now I can't stream these sites with them either ? These companies are going to keep pushing and pushing and pushing until they break the very people who have kept them in business over the years, then what ?

Anybody else experiencing all these things maybe ?

Microsoft is all about planned obsolescence. What worked yesterday isn't worth crap today.

Microsoft is all about planned obsolescence. What worked yesterday isn't worth crap today.
I wonder why that is though, because it would seem that they would understand that all people can't just fork out thousands of dollars just to keep current like they think they can or want them to in order to reproduce in repetition to the inth degree of a total output. Empowering Americans/People is the best way to go, and the way to do that is making products that last or can be merged in with the newer ones at a decent expense or without to much of a hitch involved. Youtube is the best I have ever seen at empowering Americans with those video's in which they have, and that is simply wonderful by what people do if you ask me. I have fixed so many things myself because of that site, I mean it's amazing really. Empowering Americans is key to a strong America, and a strong nation if war was to again break out. Holding back and killing people's knowledge of things to help themselves or to become self sufficient is truly a bad, bad thing for America. It really is showing these days, as people are so dependent that they wouldn't know how to untie their shoe or put a boot on if war came a knocking at their door, and much less a job. Thanks for stopping by..

There are other things that change such as the size of the data buses. The size of data words. Processor speeds. I am not an expert but it does seem that the computer technology and the Internet is still evolving and may never stop. I would not expect the computer I had 10 years ago to perform any way near what one today performs. It is life, things evolve. But I will say that the interconnection that the internet has provided seems to be causing a lot of problems and it is hard to understand how to fix them.

There are other things that change such as the size of the data buses. The size of data words. Processor speeds. I am not an expert but it does seem that the computer technology and the Internet is still evolving and may never stop. I would not expect the computer I had 10 years ago to perform any way near what one today performs. It is life, things evolve. But I will say that the interconnection that the internet has provided seems to be causing a lot of problems and it is hard to understand how to fix them.
It may be like my grandpa once said, it's all just "windows" dressing, where as to keep us buying and buying, as they've got to keep changing it up you see. Funny how my old computer was very fast when I took it out the box and began using it, but now it is so incompatible that it will barely run ? Seems strange enough to me.

I remember my grandpa saying when working on a high tech tractor in the field one day, when all of a sudden he began to laugh. He said at that moment those college engineers think they are fooling someone, but all they did was dress it up a little bit differently, and he went on to make the repairs...LOL

Last edited:
Check this out.. I purchased a lap top, and my desk top as an HP. The lap top is new, but the desk top is old. I went to HP and put my computer info in, and this so I could replace an audio driver. It didn't work after download. It said that I needed to be signed in to my comp as administrator. I was signed in as administrator, then I did something else, and it said some other mess as to why it wouldn't allow me to install. Then I went to support to send them an e-mail in order to help me resolve the issue. Oh but my warranty is out so no e-mail is allowed ????????????????????????????????????? Well they may have just lost my business if I can't get a little help with a simple driver to reinstall. wow.

Is it possible for companies like Microsoft and such, to somehow decide to render a product unstable or unusable if they are wanting the customer to either upgrade or change to another computer and/or newer OS system ? Are these companies dependent on their survival or their profitting by doing these sorts of things to us ?

I have a computer that I didn't use much, so it is like new even though it is old or older, but it was a very good running computer (top of the line), and very fast also. Well it was down for a while in storage, and when I placed it back in action it ran great just like it always did, umm well until I hooked it back up to the internet. That is where it all began to act strange in so many ways. Then I see all these upgrade messages, because XP is or will no longer be supported. In the mean time my computer is having more and more problems as it tries to surf and be on the net. I can't help but think that I am being sabotaged somehow, even though I may not be.

This comp has all but quit doing anything right, and I haven't been anywhere but to a few places on the net since I got it back on line, and as well I have Norton anti-virus protection that I pay for also. Every time I run my norton scan, it brings back a result of 15 tracking cookies resolved and fixed. Where does all these tracking cookies come from, and shouldn't these companies be asking before they are putting things into your computer like that with people unaware ? Is the net a set up, otherwise soon you will be paying more and more and more just to stay active, and then up to date just to remain upon it ?

Rendering equipment useless, even when it has enough factory horsepower under the hood still, to me is just sad and not right. How many people out there will not be able to keep pace, so aren't they eventually shooting themselves in their own foot, otherwise if they are doing things that render equipment and software out of date and/or useless like this ?

You would think that the goal would be to keep everyone running, and then to offer products that enhances the experience of the user, and this reagardless of who they are always. To render equipment (the computers themselves) usless as is the case it seems, I think is shooting themselves in their own foot again. The goal should be to keep as many active on the net as possible (regardless of their computer performance), but to work the software upgrades customized for the user and level the user is at instead. These softwares could be tuned to different computer systems in order to keep all system alive for as long as possible, and this way you will keep all levels of classes on line for as long as possible.

To create softwares that are only workable on certain computers or OS systems, is shooting oneself in the foot. Older technologies are still way beyond their time, and still should be workable in the enviroment, but undoubtedly these major corporations don't see it that away. They must think that everyone is doing great these days, even though people can barely stay in their own homes anymore, so go figure that one.

I am also experiencing another problem, where as my provider is saying I need an upgrade to another faster package, and this way I can stream youtube and netflix without buffering so bad, but here's the kicker " I was streaming these sites without any problem until recently", now it's like I'm back to dial up when it comes to streaming these video's. WHAT!!! Now I need a package that cost $5.00 dollars more a month ? How coincidental is that ? I have lap tops that are the latest and greatest with windows 7, but now I can't stream these sites with them either ? These companies are going to keep pushing and pushing and pushing until they break the very people who have kept them in business over the years, then what ?

Anybody else experiencing all these things maybe ?

Though not a programmer, I'm sure it is. Can release a new OS that isn't entirely backwards-compatible. Why you'd do it intentionally though since once that's discovered (as it certainly would be) will have you sued.

But the mantra that we have to buy a new computer, or upgrade our OS every few years is utter nonsense. I'm the proof and on a win98se rig right now. May not be able to use newer websites requiring certain OS and later, but I'm not missing that compatibility either.

It seems that everything is getting crazier and crazier these days. The money that they think we have or that we can just go out and get somehow, is well hilarious. It's sort of like cutting off the hand that feeds them finally. Gas is another story that is crazy as well, and yet here we go again in that area of life. Corporate Greed has no end to it these days, and the cavalry has been delayed yet again & again it seems.

Microsoft did that with the DOS system back in the 80's.
They purposefully made there software run slower if the OS was anything but MSDOS.
Also in the late 80's, Microsoft purposefully made Netscape Navigator run slow, Netscape won a lawsuit, but by then the damage was done.
Also, Microsoft, as well as other software companies, purposefully will not allow you to open documents etc. made in a newer version when the software you have is 100% able to do so. The best example is Microsoft Office.

They purposefully made there software run slower if the OS was anything but MSDOS.
Also in the late 80's, Microsoft purposefully made Netscape Navigator run slow, Netscape won a lawsuit, but by then the damage was done.
Also, Microsoft, as well as other software companies, purposefully will not allow you to open documents etc. made in a newer version when the software you have is 100% able to do so. The best example is Microsoft Office.
Yes it's a shame if that is the case, because it renders working products unusable therefore forcing change when what people have still works. I don't see why they don't leave the old stuff working, and then to allow change to take place naturally by the consumers who will eventually get on board as they can afford to. Maybe they know something that I don't, but this latest move that renders thousands of PC's obsolete, and XP dead is a huge disappointment really. I have two desktop PC"s that run great, but they are going to be obsolete now because of this? It just don't make much sense to me at all. Them purposely slowing things down and causing products to fail us in these ways is something that is just plain wrong on so many levels.

and thats why everyone is going to apache and open source LOL

and thats why everyone is going to apache and open source LOL
What is apache and open source ?

I'm the proof and on a win98se rig right now

lol
Whats funny ? As long as his rig does what he wants it to do, then why does Microsoft want to dictate as to him upgrading to a different rig if he isn't in need of all the latest and greatest tech that is out there ? To dictate to people by forcing them onto newer systems, when people may not be in need of all that is offered above and beyond their older system, well (imho) is just wrong in so many ways.

Open source is software where the source code is available for distribution and modification for free. Apache is an open source web server.

The poster you are replying to is full of shit, "everyone" isn't going to open source and very few people have a need for apache.

Open source is software where the source code is available for distribution and modification for free. Apache is an open source web server.

The poster you are replying to is full of shit, "everyone" isn't going to open source and very few people have a need for apache.
Gotcha...Thanks for stopping by, and now I'm just listening and learning from yall..

Whats funny ? As long as his rig does what he wants it to do, then why does Microsoft want to dictate as to him upgrading to a different rig if he isn't in need of all the latest and greatest tech that is out there ?
Because there is no reason to be running win98se in the year 2014, so it is kind of funny.
(Grin), I see it as nostalgic sort of... I like nostalgia. It's cool....What if GM, Ford or the auto industry in general said no more classic cars or classic car parts (turn them all in and dag nabbit upgrade now), I mean how would that go over you think ?

Well a car is something people have a fondness for because of its looks or sounds or they can work on it, it makes more sense for people to dig classic cars.

I can't imagine someone thinking a 16 year OS that limits what one can do would be appealing, not only from a software standpoint but most hardware isn't likely to include Win98 drivers. I'd think he'd have issues with everything from using thumb drives to surfing the web to even viewing some PDF documents. Why suffer that?

He should try installing one of the more user friendly Linux distros out there.

Well a car is something people have a fondness for because of its looks or sounds or they can work on it, it makes more sense for people to dig classic cars.

I can't imagine someone thinking a 16 year OS that limits what one can do would be appealing, not only from a software standpoint but most hardware isn't likely to include Win98 drivers. I'd think he'd have issues with everything from using thumb drives to surfing the web to even viewing some PDF documents. Why suffer that?

He should try installing one of the more user friendly Linux distros out there.
Not sure why he is using that system, but look at me where as I am using one of the latest and greatest systems that was thee top of the line not long ago ((XP)), and it had everything until windows and it's partners decided that they would dress it up a little bit differently as so to make some more money's I guess off of the poor and struggling who are out here today (wait maybe they are against the poor also). They may get surprised to possibly lose big, but then again many children may get surprised when their parents put more and more money into these technologies, instead of into their childrens stomachs and clothing like they should be doing. I didn't say that did I ?

There going big again, by rendering the XP OS system obselete, and then all the XP machines therefore obselete with it. Yep they are being burned in the flames along with the OS system also (must be nice). My friend told me that they (microsoft) is having to return to windows 7, and to work with it a little bit more, because windows 8 or 8.1 is full of problems. Wow, now who would have seen that one coming ? LOL

Is this whopla or mess really worth it all in the end I wonder ? Who knows!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back