Company so Woke Employees can’t Defer Holiday?

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
In the last two years my employer has added June 19th (Juneteenth) as a holiday for both Union and management employees. This year the holiday will be observed on Monday, June 20th (Next Monday).

The company has a general policy of allowing employees to defer a holiday and work that day. In response the worker gets 8 hours of “floating holiday” time which can be used any time from the following week until the end of the year. It can’t be carried over and will not be paid out if unused.

I went into our time management software this Norton defer the upcoming holiday and it refused to accept the code for “defer and work”. After several attempts, a conversation with a coworker having the same issue and two people on out help desk I found out… Juneteenth can NOT be deferred. Apparently neither can MLK Day in February (Management only holiday).

When I asked why I was told the Inclusion & Diversity group determined that it might look bad for the company if employees (especially white males) chose to defer the holiday and work.

Thoughts?

In the last two years my employer has added June 19th (Juneteenth) as a holiday for both Union and management employees. This year the holiday will be observed on Monday, June 20th (Next Monday).

The company has a general policy of allowing employees to defer a holiday and work that day. In response the worker gets 8 hours of “floating holiday” time which can be used any time from the following week until the end of the year. It can’t be carried over and will not be paid out if unused.

I went into our time management software this Norton defer the upcoming holiday and it refused to accept the code for “defer and work”. After several attempts, a conversation with a coworker having the same issue and two people on out help desk I found out… Juneteenth can NOT be deferred. Apparently neither can MLK Day in February (Management only holiday).

When I asked why I was told the Inclusion & Diversity group determined that it might look bad for the company if employees (especially white males) chose to defer the holiday and work.

Thoughts?
That's an odd thing but it's a company that is making that decision.

That's an odd thing but it's a company that is making that decision
Yeah. The same company that is renovating a quarter of buildings for a hybrid. Ideal they claim they want to do away with in favor of full-time return to work.

Yeah. The same company that is renovating a quarter of buildings for a hybrid. Ideal they claim they want to do away with in favor of full-time return to work.
That sounds like confusion.

There are some occupations such as policeman and fireman and others that require 24/7/365 duty.
Those people can't always take a calendar holiday off.
Or some people might just want to use that time on another date.
So, a deferred day off is a good solution to that problem.
If someone has a problem with that, they are the problem.

A bad day off is better than a good day at work
It’s even better when YOU get to choose the say to have off rather than the company
Not when you make $28 an hour and you're getting time and a half...
“Defer and work” is paid at normal wage, not OT rate. Then again my regular rate is more than the OT rate on $28 an hour.

Um, I am the company. I own it...
Then we’re comparing apples to star destroyers.

Obviously you can do whatever you want when you own the company. That is not even close to the same as a multi-national electric and gas utility company with 14,000+ Union/management employees in the operational jurisdiction I work in (New England).

Forum List

Back