Company hikes price 5,000% for drug that fights complication of AIDS, cancer

I will say this, the US is the only country in the world that doesn't negotiate with the Big Pharma on the pricing of their products. We pay more than double than the next country. So not is the US paying for R/D but also something that the industry spends that costs more than their R/D and that is advertising.
And America is the healthcare's industry's biggest sucker. We may more than double than the next country for healthcare, period.
And people defend this bullshit, how pathetic, defending being the world's biggest sucker.
As Harvard Business Review puts it, in the US the sky is the limit regarding healthcare pricing, in the rest of the world there are limits for the same exact thing.

Last edited:
I will say this, the US is the only country in the world that doesn't negotiate with the Big Pharma on the pricing of their products. We pay more than double than the next country. So not is the US paying for R/D but also something that the industry spends that costs more than their R/D and that is advertising.
And America is the healthcare's industry's biggest sucker. We may more than double than the next country for healthcare, period.
And people defend this bullshit, how pathetic, defending being the world's biggest sucker.
I have what you want; I have the right to sell it for however much you're willing to pay.
Welcome to freedom.

Are you fucking kidding me? You cannot justify what this company did.
The drug my property.
I have the right to sell it for whatever price I want.
So price gouging is good. Greed is good, is that correct Mr. Gecko? It is until maybe you need to have a couple of these a day ($1500) for 30 days ($45,000).
Good to see you also understand that I am right.
The heartless right wing greed.
You've already proven that you understand I am correct - if you;d like to further do so, please feel free.

Fact is your outrage does not overrule my right to sell my property at whatever price I choose.

Doesn't mean you can sell it, Sparky. And you don't have facts, just half-assed opinions.

And why tell the whole story…….when you can just smear the company….

A Turing spokesman, Craig Rothenberg, said the company is working with hospitals and providers to get every patient covered. This includes free-of-charge options for uninsured patients and co-pay assistance programs.

"
A Turing spokesman, Craig Rothenberg, said the company is working with hospitals and providers to get every patient covered. This includes free-of-charge options for uninsured patients and co-pay assistance programs.""

That's called PR...spin....feel-good bullshit. Not fact.

What this company did was evil. The fucking super rich has destroyed competition and so corporations like this can get away with shit like this.

We need government to kick some ass.

But then who will treat your autism?

Well, there will be more competition and more medical advances as was the case after the break up of standard oil and grand bell. ;) What we need is a market that works more like it did in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

What a lame as excuse!
I bet you can't find one economist that doesn't believe that the cost of healthcare will eventually destroy the US economy. You are a blind dumb fuck.

Loserterians don't give two shits about the US economy or anyone else besides the super rich. The super rich of course can snake off to another country when it occurs.

Disgusting..
A drug treating a common parasite that attacks people with weakened immune systems increased in cost 5,000% to $750 per pill.

At a time of heightened attention to the rising cost of prescription drugs, doctors who treat patients with AIDS and cancer are denouncing the new cost to treat a condition that can be life-threatening.

Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories. Turing has exclusive rights to market Daraprim (pyrimethamine), on the market since 1953.

Daraprim fights toxoplasmosis, the second most common food-borne disease, which can easily infect people whose immune systems have been weakened by AIDS, chemotherapy or even pregnancy, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

“This is a tremendous increase," said Judith Aberg, a spokesperson for the HIV Medicine Association. Even patients with insurance could have trouble affording the medication, she said. That's because insurance companies often put high-price drugs in the "specialty" category, requiring patients to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year. Patients whose insurance plans require them to pay 20% of the cost — a common practice — would shell out $150 a pill.

About 60 million people in the United States may carry the Toxoplasma parasite, according to the CDC. It comes from eating under-cooked meat, cooking with contaminated knives and boards, drinking unclean water and contact with infected cat feces.

Mothers can also pass it to their children during pregnancy and organ transplant patients can get it through an infected donor. Symptoms can feel flu-like, but the parasite attacks the brain and can lead to blindness or brain damage.
Go start a drug company, spend decades researching and developing medicines, then tell us how you will charge $1.00 per pill.

You are just like the stupid fuckers that decrie oil company profits. :slap:
H the drug has been around since 1953.....why the monster hike in price?....the story doesnt say why...

This whole thing is outrageous and just an example of how our most vulnerable are exploited by corporations.

It isn't enough to hide behind the skirts of a free market to justify it; it simply doesn't work.

Our laws are supposed to be set up for the good of the People of the United states, not the corporations of the United States, according to the DoI anyway.

Disgusting..
A drug treating a common parasite that attacks people with weakened immune systems increased in cost 5,000% to $750 per pill.

At a time of heightened attention to the rising cost of prescription drugs, doctors who treat patients with AIDS and cancer are denouncing the new cost to treat a condition that can be life-threatening.

Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories. Turing has exclusive rights to market Daraprim (pyrimethamine), on the market since 1953.

Daraprim fights toxoplasmosis, the second most common food-borne disease, which can easily infect people whose immune systems have been weakened by AIDS, chemotherapy or even pregnancy, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

“This is a tremendous increase," said Judith Aberg, a spokesperson for the HIV Medicine Association. Even patients with insurance could have trouble affording the medication, she said. That's because insurance companies often put high-price drugs in the "specialty" category, requiring patients to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year. Patients whose insurance plans require them to pay 20% of the cost — a common practice — would shell out $150 a pill.

About 60 million people in the United States may carry the Toxoplasma parasite, according to the CDC. It comes from eating under-cooked meat, cooking with contaminated knives and boards, drinking unclean water and contact with infected cat feces.

Mothers can also pass it to their children during pregnancy and organ transplant patients can get it through an infected donor. Symptoms can feel flu-like, but the parasite attacks the brain and can lead to blindness or brain damage.

Yep. The owner of the company is a true scumbag. He tried to get the FDA to not authorize drugs for companies that he was short in to make their stock values drop. He should be in prison for the shit he has done.

This is why such needs to be regulated by the government as corporations are evil.
Name one corporation that has killed millions of people, and forced millions into starvation.

I can't think of one corporation that has done that, but there are plenty of governments who have.

I can't probe your mind, but I'm guessing at some point you were brainwashed.

I. G. Farben.

Next question?

And why tell the whole story…….when you can just smear the company….

A Turing spokesman, Craig Rothenberg, said the company is working with hospitals and providers to get every patient covered. This includes free-of-charge options for uninsured patients and co-pay assistance programs.

"
A Turing spokesman, Craig Rothenberg, said the company is working with hospitals and providers to get every patient covered. This includes free-of-charge options for uninsured patients and co-pay assistance programs.""

That's called PR...spin....feel-good bullshit. Not fact.

And I am working on improving my relationship with my x-wife's mother. She is 83. I expect that the relationship will improve sometime in the next 20 years.

And at what cost? Obviously the previous owner wanted a pretty price to sell it, rendering its prior price unmanageable for its new investors.
From the link:

Rothenberg defended Daraprim's price, saying that the company will use the money it makes from sales to further research treatments for toxoplasmosis. They also plan to invest in marketing and education tools to make people more aware of the disease.

“There has been no innovation in dealing with toxoplasmosis,” Rothenberg said. “That has been a long neglect in the patient community.”

They are making sure the people that can't afford the drug are getting it for free and those that can afford to pay are paying. They are alos using the additional profits to invest in research. What's the problem? Isn't that what you LWNJ's want? Free shit for the poor? But make the rich pay?
LOL. These companies say this shit all the time, but the truth hurts:
""Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories."

And at what cost? Obviously the previous owner wanted a pretty price to sell it, rendering its prior price unmanageable for its new investors.
From the link:

Rothenberg defended Daraprim's price, saying that the company will use the money it makes from sales to further research treatments for toxoplasmosis. They also plan to invest in marketing and education tools to make people more aware of the disease.

“There has been no innovation in dealing with toxoplasmosis,” Rothenberg said. “That has been a long neglect in the patient community.”

They are making sure the people that can't afford the drug are getting it for free and those that can afford to pay are paying. They are alos using the additional profits to invest in research. What's the problem? Isn't that what you LWNJ's want? Free shit for the poor? But make the rich pay?
LOL. These companies say this shit all the time, but the truth hurts:
""Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories."
Seriously? The excuses you loons come up with never ceases to amaze me.

OK, rightwing rednecks....Here's the latest on your newest hero of capitalism. Enjoy, you ignorant tools:

Controversial drug CEO was accused of serious 'harassment'

Drug-gouging debate isn’t CEO’s first controversy
103016310-GettyImages-120822895.530x298.jpg

Martin Shkreli
The pharmaceutical company boss under fire from Hillary Clinton and many others for jacking up the price of the drug Daraprim 5,500 percent overnight allegedly engaged previously in a bizarre campaignof "harassment" of a former employee and his immediate family, according to court documents.

Drug boss Martin Shkreli, 32, also allegedly gained access to social media accounts belonging to that ex-employee, and contacted him and his relatives directly, including his teenage son and wife, as he accused the worker of defrauding Shkreli's then-pharma company, Retrophin.

"Your husband had stolen $1.6 million from me and I will get it back. I will go to any length necessary to get it back," Shkreli allegedly wrote the wife of former Retrophin employee Timothy Pierotti in a January 2013 letter, according to court documents.

"Your pathetic excuse of a husband needs to get a real job that does not depend on fraud to succeed ... I hope to see you and your four children homeless and will do whatever I can to assure this," Shkreli allegedly wrote.

Read MoreRead the affidavit claiming harassment by Martin Shkreli and see the related documents here.

Oh, and breaking news: He's also backed off his $750 a pill price because he's a big pussy and probably needs to be spanked by Donald Trump.

Forum List

Back