Compact Nuclear Fusion Reactor Is ‘Very Likely to Work,’ Studies Suggest

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I had a friend who was obsessed with nuclear fusion. For years and years he would tell me that fusion would be arriving any day now. So I don't get too excited when I see stories of fusion being just around the corner.

Nevertheless, this is an interesting development I felt was worth sharing:

Scientists developing a compact version of a nuclear fusion reactor have shown in a series of research papers that it should work, renewing hopes that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achieved and eventually contribute to the fight against climate change.

Construction of a reactor, called Sparc, which is being developed by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a spinoff company, Commonwealth Fusion Systems, is expected to begin next spring and take three or four years, the researchers and company officials said.

Although many significant challenges remain, the company said construction would be followed by testing and, if successful, building of a power plant that could use fusion energy to generate electricity, beginning in the next decade.

More reading material here: https://www.psfc.mit.edu/files/psfc/imce/research/topics/sparc/MITSPARCbrochure.pdf

Last edited:
It's all about heat. The basic schematic for all power-generating plants is the same. A heat source, a primary loop of pressurized water to carry the heat to a steam generator, the water in the secondary loop is at a lower pressure and thus flashes to steam in the steam generator. The steam turns a turbine which then produces electricity. Then a tertiary loop of cool water to condense the hot water from the steam generator back into water for another trip around.

The heat could be from uranium, coal, natural gas, the sun, or...nuclear fusion.

power.jpg

We KNOW nuclear fusion works....the Sun does it trillions of times per second.

So yes, eventually scientists will crack the fusion code here on Earth.
I think it's all about pressure.
They just haven't created enough pressure yet.

We KNOW nuclear fusion works....the Sun does it trillions of times per second.

So yes, eventually scientists will crack the fusion code here on Earth.
I think it's all about pressure.
They just haven't created enough pressure yet.
It's about containment. Preventing the plasma from touching the sides of the container with a magnetic field has proven difficult.

I had a friend who was obsessed with nuclear fusion. For years and years he would tell me that fusion would be arriving any day now. So I don't get too excited when I see stories of fusion being just around the corner.

Scientists developing a compact version of a nuclear fusion reactor have shown in a series of research papers that it should work, renewing hopes that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achieved and eventually contribute to the fight against climate change.

Construction of a reactor, called Sparc, which is being developed by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a spinoff company, Commonwealth Fusion Systems, is expected to begin next spring and take three or four years, the researchers and company officials said.

Although many significant challenges remain, the company said construction would be followed by testing and, if successful, building of a power plant that could use fusion energy to generate electricity, beginning in the next decade.

More reading material here: https://www.psfc.mit.edu/files/psfc/imce/research/topics/sparc/MITSPARCbrochure.pdf
I am guessing maybe 50 -75 .
Fusion would solve every energy need

The problem hasn't been getting fusion to happen.

The problem is getting more energy out of a controlled fusion reaction than what has to be put into making it happen, and keeping it controlled. Fusion only happens under extreme conditions of pressure and heat, and so far, we've not been able to create the only way we've been able to create those conditions, without it costing more energy than what we get back, ends up looking something like this:

1601551870377.png

Like the first fission reaction there are worries the first fusion one may not stop.
I'd guess it would be just the opposite. There should be no 'China Syndrome' with fusion, cut the power to the containment and the whole thing should just stop.

Like the first fission reaction there are worries the first fusion one may not stop.
I'd guess it would be just the opposite. There should be no 'China Syndrome' with fusion, cut the power to the containment and the whole thing should just stop.

It takes extreme conditions of pressure and heat for fusion to occur. Our problem, at this point, is that we cannot create these conditions in a controlled manner without expending more energy to do so than we can get back from the fusion reaction that we're creating these conditions to sustain.

If we ever do get a net-positive controlled fusion reactor, I think it stands to obvious reason that any significant failure will result in the loss of the conditions necessary to sustain the reaction, and the reaction will come to a very quick stop.

Bullshit if someone had a fusion reactor plan the last thing they would do it publish it

Grow up sucker

Are they selling stock to suckers

Bullshit if someone had a fusion reactor plan the last thing they would do it publish it

Grow up sucker

If you had read the link I provided, you would know this project is privately funded.

Grow up sucker

If you had read the link I provided, you would know this project is privately funded.
And why would a privately funded group publish their trillion dollar fusion research

Grow up kid

Grow up sucker

And why would a privately funded group publish their trillion dollar fusion research

Grow up kid
Why wouldn't they?

Take that stick out of your ass.

Grow up sucker

Grow up kid
Why wouldn't they?

Take that stick out of your ass.
Lol so if you invented a trillion dollar unlimited energy source you would publish the method to do this so the chinks could steal your idea. There is a reason that I own apple orchards and you own a used bubble gum collection. Stick that agent asswipe

Nuclear fusion is the future. If a country does not blow themselves up first, then it would seem the only way space travel beyond this galaxy can be achieved. Also the prospect of renewable energy will be the final nail in the coffin for coal. Oil and gas is on the chopping block.

Countries are spending big money on the race to see who can control the processes enough for it to be useful in the daily lives of people.

Yet I can see those complaining about the job losses.

Time waits for no one. Either your going to be in the front pack or in the back pack wondering what is the rush.

Nuclear fusion is the future. If a country does not blow themselves up first, then it would seem the only way space travel beyond this galaxy can be achieved. Also the prospect of renewable energy will be the final nail in the coffin for coal. Oil and gas is on the chopping block.

Countries are spending big money on the race to see who can control the processes enough for it to be useful in the daily lives of people.

Yet I can see those complaining about the job losses.

Time waits for no one. Either your going to be in the front pack or in the back pack wondering what is the rush.
You mean it's required for travel to neighboring solar systems in our galaxy. Only faster-than-light travel could open other galaxies. Here on earth it does have the potential to raise the standards of living for all of us.

Forum List

Back