Comey faces new questions about Trump, Russia decisions

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
hmmm....interesting no? Why the concern about it being so close to an election with Trump scandels but NOT with Clinton?

...A variety of government agencies have investigated Russia’s role in hacking Democratic emails for the purpose of influencing the outcome of the presidential election, and to date, U.S. officials have agreed that the evidence is overwhelming pointing to Russia’s role. Several members of Congress urged the FBI to help get to the bottom of this, and in testimony last month, Comey said he could not confirm whether or not such an investigation was underway.

CNBC reports today that the FBI did help uncover relevant details, but Comey was reluctant to say so – because the facts emerged too close to Election Day.

FBI Director James Comey argued privately that it was too close to Election Day for the United States government to name Russia as meddling in the U.S. election and ultimately ensured that the FBI’s name was not on the document that the U.S. government put out, a former FBI official tells CNBC.

The official said some government insiders are perplexed as to why Comey would have election timing concerns with the Russian disclosure but not with the Huma Abedin email discovery disclosure he made Friday.

To be sure, a few weeks ago, a joint report from the Department of Homeland Security and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence reached the public, and confirmed widely held fears: Russia appears to have stolen materials in order to interfere with the American political process.

But the FBI was not part of the report’s release, and CNBC’s report sheds light on why. CNBC quoted a former FBI official saying Comey agreed with the findings from the other agencies, but the director “was against putting it out before the election.”

Now, by some measures, that’s a defensible posture. The FBI has traditionally wanted to avoid the appearance of intervening in elections, and that’s an entirely worthwhile principle. In this case, it’s borderline – if Russia committed an election crime in the United States, it’s hardly outrageous that the FBI would both investigate the allegations and comment on the findings – but because there’s evidence Russia’s crimes are directly related to trying to boost Donald Trump, I can appreciate why Comey may want to avoid the controversy so close to an election.

But you probably see where I’m going with this: if Comey is going to honor these principles, he needs to apply them evenly. The FBI director can’t credibly claim Russia’s alleged crimes in the United States must go without mention because of the election season, while at the same time commenting publicly – and even offering vague, substance-free updates – on Hillary Clinton’s email server management.

If Comey has an explanation for the competing standards – one for news related to Trump, another for news related to Clinton – I’ll be eager to hear it.

Postscript: The fact that this story leaked to CNBC today is also a reminder that Comey’s decision has critics within the FBI itself, which is rumored to be divided over the director’s controversial move.

Yeah, those DNC hacks involving the primaries are totally rigging the general election.

hmmm....interesting no? Why the concern about it being so close to an election with Trump scandels but NOT with Clinton?

...A variety of government agencies have investigated Russia’s role in hacking Democratic emails for the purpose of influencing the outcome of the presidential election, and to date, U.S. officials have agreed that the evidence is overwhelming pointing to Russia’s role. Several members of Congress urged the FBI to help get to the bottom of this, and in testimony last month, Comey said he could not confirm whether or not such an investigation was underway.

CNBC reports today that the FBI did help uncover relevant details, but Comey was reluctant to say so – because the facts emerged too close to Election Day.

FBI Director James Comey argued privately that it was too close to Election Day for the United States government to name Russia as meddling in the U.S. election and ultimately ensured that the FBI’s name was not on the document that the U.S. government put out, a former FBI official tells CNBC.

The official said some government insiders are perplexed as to why Comey would have election timing concerns with the Russian disclosure but not with the Huma Abedin email discovery disclosure he made Friday.

To be sure, a few weeks ago, a joint report from the Department of Homeland Security and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence reached the public, and confirmed widely held fears: Russia appears to have stolen materials in order to interfere with the American political process.

But the FBI was not part of the report’s release, and CNBC’s report sheds light on why. CNBC quoted a former FBI official saying Comey agreed with the findings from the other agencies, but the director “was against putting it out before the election.”

Now, by some measures, that’s a defensible posture. The FBI has traditionally wanted to avoid the appearance of intervening in elections, and that’s an entirely worthwhile principle. In this case, it’s borderline – if Russia committed an election crime in the United States, it’s hardly outrageous that the FBI would both investigate the allegations and comment on the findings – but because there’s evidence Russia’s crimes are directly related to trying to boost Donald Trump, I can appreciate why Comey may want to avoid the controversy so close to an election.

But you probably see where I’m going with this: if Comey is going to honor these principles, he needs to apply them evenly. The FBI director can’t credibly claim Russia’s alleged crimes in the United States must go without mention because of the election season, while at the same time commenting publicly – and even offering vague, substance-free updates – on Hillary Clinton’s email server management.

If Comey has an explanation for the competing standards – one for news related to Trump, another for news related to Clinton – I’ll be eager to hear it.

Postscript: The fact that this story leaked to CNBC today is also a reminder that Comey’s decision has critics within the FBI itself, which is rumored to be divided over the director’s controversial move.

Comey screwed up big time.......and he will sorely pay for his late-found partisanship.

Argued privately? Really? How do we know this isn't just made up bs as democrats are so want to do? When I hear it from Comey's own mouth I will believe it.

I gladly watch the popularity of the threads like "Putin owns Trump" is dying. Great to watch people getting smarter. Unfortunately, some still prefer to stay goofy.

Putin: I have to ask myself and ask you too: Does anyone seriously imagine that Russia can somehow influence the American people’s choice? America is not some kind of ‘banana republic’, after all, but is a great power. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club

the epitome of hypocrisy controls the election ..

the Antichrist is with us.

What the left doesn't seem to grasp is that Trump is a civilian. A high profile civilian businessman is subject to a room full of rules and regulations and taxes. On the other hand, politicians like Hillary make the freaking rules and sometimes are above the rules that most of us are subject to. It's no secret that Hillary and her husband solicited donations from foreign governments in exchange for favorable treatment by the U.S. As Al Gore once said when he was caught violating the election law, "there is no controlling legal authority".

OP belongs in the Rubber Room.
cuckoo.gif

I gladly watch the popularity of the threads like "Putin owns Trump" is dying. Great to watch people getting smarter. Unfortunately, some still prefer to stay goofy.

Putin: I have to ask myself and ask you too: Does anyone seriously imagine that Russia can somehow influence the American people’s choice? America is not some kind of ‘banana republic’, after all, but is a great power. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club

No problem, I'll correct him. A-symetricaly hacking and releasing private emails of one candidate's campaign can IN FACT influence an outcome of a close election.

Not really though, he knows it well, since he is one probably doing it and is playing dumb for gullible dummies like you to disseminate.

Well, I for one, never liked Comey even back in July when he "absolved' Clinton.....WHY???
Simple.......He helped Hillary to defeat Sanders (who was my candidate)....In other words, he helped the Dems. nominate the candidate with much more baggage on her shoulders, and then helped to pull the rug from under her feet.

I have NO doubt that Clinton will win next week; nonetheless, she is only my choice when compared to a charlatan, circus barker.

What 'Trump Russia Decision'?

Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia
- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/us/politics/fbi-russia-election-donald-trump.html

NO 'smoking gun'...NO DIRECT CONNECTION'...

FBI Finds No Links Between Trump And Russia
-- FBI Finds No Links Between Trump And Russia, Probing Manafort Instead | Zero Hedge

What do you libs not understand about No Links Between Trump And Russia?

For God's sake STOP with the 'umpteen' number of threads pushing the SAME LIE!

There was nothing for the FBI to release regarding trump and Russia because they deemed THERE IS NO CONNECTION BETWEEN TRUMP AND RUSSIA / PUTIN...unlike what they have found in the multiple FBI investigations into Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundation!

Forum List

Back