Colleges, universities that deny students’ First Amendment rights will no longer receive federal grant money

norwegen

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2013
Ormond Beach, FL
A final rule was just announced by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos that, effective immediately, prohibits colleges and universities that trample on students’ First Amendment rights from receiving federal grant money.
. . .

Up until this point, American colleges and universities have, for the most part, been bastions of far-left dogma – and only far-left dogma. Conservativism, Christianity and other points of view have been disparaged, discouraged and even prohibited, fomenting an environment where only left-wing thinking is allowed on campus.

This is all changing under DeVos, however, as her new ruling encourages students to think outside the box of liberalism. After all, this is what institutions of higher learning claim to be about: the exploration of “new ideas, perspectives, and worldviews,” to quote Gary Cantwell of The Navigators, a Christian college campus ministry.
The federal government by law is prohibited from interfering with the citizens' rights of worship, assembly, and speech, so it only stands to reason that it should not fund or otherwise back organizations that restrict those freedoms.

It's about time something like this happened.

Liberal schools do not allow their students to think outside the box. And since moonbats don't think outside the box, they will not see how tyrannical their impositions are. So of course they'll protest this move.

Liberal schools do not allow their students to think outside the box. And since moonbats don't think outside the box, they will not see how tyrannical their impositions are. So of course they'll protest this move.
Religious colleges do not allow anything but a controlled environment and a strict codification of interaction and discipline. Is that more of what you like?

So, now I can finally practice satanism in a private Christian college as a student...
No, they can still prevent you from doing it.
But the Pollock claims it is wrong to do that.
So? They can still prevent you.
No in fact avery campus and quad I have been on across the nation have religious and non-religious organizations on the campuses..I can bet that Trump University had none.

So, now I can finally practice satanism in a private Christian college as a student...
No in fact avery campus and quad I have been on across the nation have religious and non-religious organizations on the campuses..I can bet that Trump University had none.
I said they CAN. Whether they do or not is up to them. This move would simply prevent such organizations from receiving federal money, and colleges willing to do without federal funding are free to do what they will. Try to start a satan worshiping club at Liberty University and find out.

I said they CAN. Whether they do or not is up to them. This move would simply prevent such organizations from receiving federal money, and colleges willing to do without federal funding are free to do what they will. Try to start a satan worshiping club at Liberty University and find out.
No thanks, I don't believe in any religion.

thought control in colleges is done with PEER PRESSURE as a first line of attack and PROF POWER (the 4 Ps) ---
you don't get the A if you don't parrot the prof
PARROT THE PROF, PEER PRESSURE, PROFPOWER
remember the 6 p..s
I was a college student late 60s early 70s ----I learned from the text book and attended class to learn the
PROPER POV 8 p.s

thought control in colleges is done with PEER PRESSURE as a first line of attack and PROF POWER (the 4 Ps) ---
you don't get the A if you don't parrot the prof
PARROT THE PROF, PEER PRESSURE, PROFPOWER
remember the 6 p..s
I was a college student late 60s early 70s ----I learned from the text book and attended class to learn the
PROPER POV 8 p.s
Moonbats are easily indoctrinated (they don't think outside the box), and naturally they would exert peer pressure.

Not to worry!

When the Biden-Harris administration starts on January 20, (a) the money will be given back to those universities and actually increased if the universities block more conservative speech and (b) gentlemen students will be again at the mercy of any accusation leveled by a lady student.

Good times are here again for the Dems!

No thanks, I don't believe in any religion.
So your statement that started this whole thing was nothing more than trolling.

A final rule was just announced by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos that, effective immediately, prohibits colleges and universities that trample on students’ First Amendment rights from receiving federal grant money.
. . .

Up until this point, American colleges and universities have, for the most part, been bastions of far-left dogma – and only far-left dogma. Conservativism, Christianity and other points of view have been disparaged, discouraged and even prohibited, fomenting an environment where only left-wing thinking is allowed on campus.

This is all changing under DeVos, however, as her new ruling encourages students to think outside the box of liberalism. After all, this is what institutions of higher learning claim to be about: the exploration of “new ideas, perspectives, and worldviews,” to quote Gary Cantwell of The Navigators, a Christian college campus ministry.
The federal government by law is prohibited from interfering with the citizens' rights of worship, assembly, and speech, so it only stands to reason that it should not fund or otherwise back organizations that restrict those freedoms.

It's about time something like this happened.

Nonsense.

Only a court can determine if government has engaged in unlawful prior restraint, or violated the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment, not a rightwing hack like DeVos.

What DeVos might ‘think’ or ‘feel’ is a First Amendment ‘violation’ is in fact not.

The premise in the linked article is a lie.

The unwarranted withholding of funds would be purely partisan, having nothing to do with ‘free speech’ or the First Amendment and everything to do with an authoritarian rightwing Trump administration seeking to compel conformity and silence dissent.

Again, if a university were to engage in unlawful prior restraint of free speech, a court would make that determination and likely enjoin the university from doing so, consistent with First Amendment case law, not the lies of dishonest conservatives.

The unwarranted withholding of funds would be purely partisan, having nothing to do with ‘free speech’ or the First Amendment and everything to do with an authoritarian rightwing Trump administration seeking to compel conformity and silence dissent.

Again, if a university were to engage in unlawful prior restraint of free speech, a court would make that determination and likely enjoin the university from doing so, consistent with First Amendment case law, not the lies of dishonest conservatives.
Have you not seen the efforts to prevent conservatives from even speaking on campus at the request of student groups? That's the sort of thing this is intended to address.

Forum List

Back