CO Highway Patrol declares war on text-drivers: "Get your head out of your app"

License plate scanners by this logic should only be used in parked mode
Maybe, but we know nothing about that sort of thing unless you fill us in on it.. Were you a cop at one time ?
what good is the scanner if it doesnt post an alert which takes cops eyes off the road
We are talking different degrees in skill levels out there, and the problems are actually falling between certain categories in which the most problems are coming from or are occurring in, so your posting in the way that you are posting is actually a distraction from the solutions sought after in these things, now wouldn't you agree ?

People need to upgrade their phones.
Talk to text is the shit!

That's what I use and even then I only do it if I'm stopped at a red light.

Do you talk to people in your vehicle while driving? Because I dont see the difference between talking to your phone or talking to a person.

I use to have that exact same point of view. Then I thought about it a bit and noticed that the people in the vehicle I was piloting were aware of the driving conditions I was facing. If I was merging into traffic on a freeway, they would halt conversation so I could concentrate. When things got back to routine, they would start talking again. The physical interaction and cognitive awareness is lost with someone on the other end of a phone conversation.

We're talking about texting. I rarely talk on the phone while driving anyway,if I do I dont do it in heavy traffic.
Texting while driving is a fools game... We are even bigger fools if we all don't do something about it. Don't wait for your family or family member to become a fatal statistic in the war on texting and driving.

Do you talk to people in your vehicle while driving? Because I dont see the difference between talking to your phone or talking to a person.
Big difference as has been proven as such..

If I never touch my phone there is no difference.
Meaning ? What are you saying that either one way or the other the device is still a distraction in the vehicle or it is not ?

I guess if you want to call talking to your passenger a distraction than talking to your phone would be as well.
I learned my lesson as a youngster when I totaled my brand new car looking for a CD.
We are talking different degrees in skill levels out there, and the problems are actually falling between certain categories in which the most problems are coming from or are occurring in, so your posting in the way that you are posting is actually a distraction from the solutions sought after in these things, now wouldn't you agree ?

I would be agreeable to a ban on texting or talking on a phone that isnt totally hands free.
The phones are already out there so it's not like it's an imposition.
You'll never stop people from talking or listening to the radio while driving,all you can do is make it safer.

I use to have that exact same point of view. Then I thought about it a bit and noticed that the people in the vehicle I was piloting were aware of the driving conditions I was facing. If I was merging into traffic on a freeway, they would halt conversation so I could concentrate. When things got back to routine, they would start talking again. The physical interaction and cognitive awareness is lost with someone on the other end of a phone conversation.

We're talking about texting. I rarely talk on the phone while driving anyway,if I do I dont do it in heavy traffic.

Texting is one more step removed from personal face to face communication. There is no voice intonation available to the receiver of a text message. The same principles apply to any situation where the sender of the message is not in the same physical environment as the receiver of the message.

License plate scanners by this logic should only be used in parked mode
Maybe, but we know nothing about that sort of thing unless you fill us in on it.. Were you a cop at one time ?
what good is the scanner if it doesnt post an alert which takes cops eyes off the road
Different skill levels.....you really claiming the avg citizen cant be as good or better driver in non-emergency situations as cops

Texting while driving is a fools game... We are even bigger fools if we all don't do something about it. Don't wait for your family or family member to become a fatal statistic in the war on texting and driving.

Did you read the whole thread?
I can text on my phone and never touch it. It's all done with voice commands.

Big difference as has been proven as such..

If I never touch my phone there is no difference.
Meaning ? What are you saying that either one way or the other the device is still a distraction in the vehicle or it is not ?

I guess if you want to call talking to your passenger a distraction than talking to your phone would be as well.
I learned my lesson as a youngster when I totaled my brand new car looking for a CD.

I would be agreeable to a ban on texting or talking on a phone that isnt totally hands free.
The phones are already out there so it's not like it's an imposition.
You'll never stop people from talking or listening to the radio while driving,all you can do is make it safer.
I agree with working on making this stuff safer, and that's what we should be doing instead of fighting against that point like I have seen in the past.

Did you read the whole thread?
I can text on my phone and never touch it. It's all done with voice commands.
Yes I was referring to manually texting..

Talking does not take your eyes off the road.

Drove 700 miles yesterday, saw HUNDREDS of people with devices actively paying attention to something other than the road.

How do you legislate against people talking to a phone?
I can text without touching my phone so whats the difference?

All electronic toys should be banned from vehicle interiors. That includes radios. THINK

I'm sure you never use the radio in your vehicle....:doubt:
I bet tuning radio's has caused wrecks as well, but the stats are so low that they don't even register on the scales. The stats that are showing tragic results should be attacked and fixed PERIOD!
I am sure it has, as has changing CDs, etc

Talking does not take your eyes off the road.

Drove 700 miles yesterday, saw HUNDREDS of people with devices actively paying attention to something other than the road.

Yep..hands free devices are the way to go.

That's a good point. I never thought of that cause i don't use cell phones. In the future i will use that argument against the psychopath text-drivers.

They are not going to pay any attention until:

1. A law is passed classifying doing any injury to a person ATTEMPTED MURDER if the injury happens while the driver is texting.

2. At least a dozen are locked away for 20-years and forbidden contact with any texting device for life (upon conviction).

Fewer than a dozen will not get their attention.

Solve the problem of the nation??? This is purley policing for profit along with seat bellts...it solves no crime, the fines are astronomical, which is why cops concentrate on them so much..... ......

Solves no crime?? Text-drivers kill americans every day and this will prevent many of those killings. THINK

All electronic toys should be banned from vehicle interiors. That includes radios. THINK

You're a fucking idiot. I would tell you to think, but you have demonstrated your inability to do so thousands of times already.

HAHAHA. The board notes all you have is namecalling. So tell us why people should be allowed to play with a radio while driving 70 malprow on a busy freeway? THINK

They are not going to pay any attention until:

1. A law is passed classifying doing any injury to a person ATTEMPTED MURDER if the injury happens while the driver is texting.

I've considered the same thing but i think jury nullification would step in and there would always be the one psycho juror who loves to text drive and refuses to convict. In most areas jury verdicts must be unanimous and we'd have a ton of hung juries and so prosecutors would refuse to prosecute. We need to first convince the public that text-driving is comparable to drunk driving and this is an area where obozo could actually do some good. He should declare a war on text-drivers and say these people are killers and worse than terrorists.

To me there shouldn't be any phone usage behind the wheel at all period no matter how old or how young the driver is! None!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back