California: Paradise Lost

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
p02m3ygc.jpg

Historian Adam Smith discovers how the Golden State has long been shaped by conflicting visions of paradise - and what this can tell us about America.

AUDIO
BBC Radio 4 - California Paradise Lost

How in the hell can a Brit determine the situation in the Golden State without actually living there?

California was NEVER a "paradise lost." I was an ideal place for Stone Age natives to live but was never meant to be a modern, industrial area.

Was born, raised, an ejookated (hehe) in California. SF bay area the whole time. It was far from paradise, but paradise was a short BART and bus ride away. :)

Was born, raised, an ejookated (hehe) in California. SF bay area the whole time. It was far from paradise, but paradise was a short BART and bus ride away. :)
SF is a dirty, nasty, yet sometimes beautiful place.

Coldest winter I ever spent in California was Spring next to the bay.

It's very beautiful if you're far away. Up close it's just a dirty city like every other. :)

I lived there throughout the 90's. What their government has done to the state makes me ill

Now they call it, COMMIEfornia which is fitting

California is on course to become a banana republic with a growing majority population that is impoverished and uneducated and a minority 1% with all the wealth who control the state affairs. The middle class is being squeezed out of that state at a rapid pace. That's one of the factors driving population growth in other western states.

The progressives love this because that's what their true agenda is. They are shills for the rich and powerful while preaching social justice to the idiots who lap it up.

California is on course to become a banana republic with a growing majority population that is impoverished and uneducated and a minority 1% with all the wealth who control the state affairs. The middle class is being squeezed out of that state at a rapid pace. That's one of the factors driving population growth in other western states.

The progressives love this because that's what their true agenda is. They are shills for the rich and powerful while preaching social justice to the idiots who lap it up.

good post
that is the cold hard facts. it's sickening to hear and witness

I lived there throughout the 90's. What their government has done to the state makes me ill

Now they call it, COMMIEfornia which is fitting

Who is "they"? I lived there, too. I loved it. From the Mojave to the red woods, visited every spot.
If it's so bad why isn't there a mass exodus? Exxon is moving their HQ to Houston and I bet all those being transferred are absolutely "ill" about it.

California's biggest problem is not what you state, its not progressive shills for "rich and powerful" who, in California are actually Republicans, but rather climate change which has created record drought. If people actually start to leave it's because there's no water.

California staves off water crisis with $1bn emergency drought relief
California staves off water crisis with 1bn emergency drought relief RT USA

Folsom Lake, just north of Sacramento, California (#13 on map below).
CaliforniaDroughtFolsom.jpg

I've visited every part of California south of the Sonoma valley - never got north of Fort Ross and don't know why,

It used to be one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I've visited every part of California south of the Sonoma valley - never got north of Fort Ross and don't know why,

It used to be one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I haven't seen any images lately of the redwoods in the far north, but looks like as of summer 2014 they have been gravely affected. They require very high levels of humidity to exist.

230832_1280x720.jpg

Forum List

Back