Civil War could have been avoided through negotiation

Too many folks were killed needlessly in the Civil War.
By disease, mostly....from what I have found on Ancestry.com and some other similar sites, my own family history and ancestry.... I'd have to research it to be certain....but I do think it was things like Typhoid fever, and other diseases, and also from poor sanitary medical practices causing infection, from what I have found out

By disease, mostly....from what I have found on Ancestry.com and some other similar sites, my own family history and ancestry.... I'd have to research it to be certain....but I do think it was things like Typhoid fever, and other diseases, and also from poor sanitary medical practices causing infection, from what I have found out
typhoid, cholera, tuberculosis etc were big killers in both armies. yellow fever in the deeper south. (ref shelby foote's "civil war")

one result of the civil war was a professional medical corps and great improvements in public health that would be impossible today.

The Constitution is not a marriage contract, dolt.
Thanks for clearing that up; I see you're another Republican who believes people have no right to exit a bad relationship.
No country's constitution is going to give one part of the country a legal means to secede from the rest of said country.
Parts, and the right is inherent.
What constitution is going to give a country an option to destroy itself???
See above.
What a lightweight dumb ass.
I wouldn't say you're a lightweight dumbass as much as an incompetent narcissist.

This country was born from secession. As traitors to England, those same men became America's greatest patriots.

So far as slavery, ''The Unconstitutionality of Slavery,'' by Lysander Spooner (1845) is a valuable resource which deserves a place on the bookshelf of every student of history and philosophy.

Trump is right, we needed more statesmen back then who were willing to negotiate in order to prevent war from breaking out. So many lives lost for nothing. Lincoln should be remembered for that.

---He added Lincoln could have negotiated to avoid the war, but he would not have been as well-known as he is today.---

Trump just wants to be the center of attention 24/7.

in trumps vision of history, the founders were visionaries who took the airports and such
Trump just wants to be the center of attention 24/7.
I know this won't be pleasant, but....

Think about the fact that Trump spits out this absolutely ridiculous, embarrassing, self-serving absurdity, and MILLIONS of Americans (like the OP) just believe it without another thought, even for a moment.

Then they go forward thinking that the Civil War could have been negotiated peacefully, and gosh, if only Donald Trump could have been there to save us all that death and pain. That is "The Truth" now to them.

I'll then submit that this awful, ugly, unreal period should make us take a good, honest, hard look at this country, at ourselves, and try to figure out exactly what the fuck has happened to us.

Last edited:
I'll then submit that this awful, ugly, unreal period should make us take a good, honest, hard look at this country, at ourselves, and try to figure out exactly what the fuck has happened to us.
i'm on a slightly different internal monalogue. i've been wondering why i , we, are not susceptible. perhaps it is subliminal stuff on channels i do not watch?

Thanks for clearing that up; I see you're another Republican who believes people have no right to exit a bad relationship.

Parts, and the right is inherent.

See above.

I wouldn't say you're a lightweight dumbass as much as an incompetent narcissist.
Lightweight dumb ass...all you did was double-down on your previous idiotic stupid shit.

Yes it does, and you might be wise to read it properly.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution,
nor prohibited by it(the constitution) to the States
are reserved to the States respectively,
or to the people

Notice the hierarchy. States rights do not supercede federal rights.
But there is no federal right to prevent states from seceding. If there is, then show me where it says so in the Constitution.
You forget the supremacy clause just like members of the right wing pass over the first amendment to run their mouths about the second.

Article VI, Clause 2

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."
So which law made in pursuance of the Constitution prevents secession of states?

So there was no prior law against it.

Sure, after the Civil War. However, the majority opinion was wrong.
Before 1866, the argument would rest on this: " However, the Preamble to the Constitution states that one of the purposes of the Constitution is to “form a more perfect Union” 1. The idea of an indivisible union of states was also discussed by the Founding Fathers during the drafting of the Constitution. Yale Professor Akhil Amar explains that the founders were interested in creating an “indivisible union” to replace the Articles of Confederation, which had failed to create a strong and unified government 1." from Bing AI

Trump is right, we needed more statesmen back then who were willing to negotiate in order to prevent war from breaking out. So many lives lost for nothing. Lincoln should be remembered for that.

---He added Lincoln could have negotiated to avoid the war, but he would not have been as well-known as he is today.---

Once again Dotard proves to anyone listening that he a first class fucking moron who couldn't pass a 4th grade history exam.

A subhuman ignorant apetard in a suit.

I know this won't be pleasant, but....

Think about the fact that Trump spits out this absolutely ridiculous, embarrassing, self-serving absurdity, and MILLIONS of Americans (like the OP) just believe it without another thought, even for a moment.

Then they go forward thinking that the Civil War could have been negotiated peacefully, and gosh, if only Donald Trump could have been there to save us all that death and pain. That is "The Truth" now to them.

Nothing happened to us. This Country has always been populated by millions of deplorables who have now come out of the woodwork to voice their racist, ignorant, anti minority, anti immigration, anti women & anti anything views against people who don't live like they do or have their beliefs.

The diference now is that they have Trump who is just like them other then the fact that he's lived a priveledged life since the day he was born. Trump's supporters didn't just adopt their worldview in 2015.

They love Trump because he's one of them & vice versa. The Country will NEVER be the same. It's over.

Yep. Diseases were a problem during the Civil War.

---Prostitution flourished in Civil War Nashville for two reasons. First, the war disrupted working-class families sending men into the army or exile, leaving many women without a means of financial support. Second, the city experienced the influx of thousands of Union soldiers, many looking for ways to relieve the boredom of camp life.---

Forum List

Back