Zone1 Christianity and our founding fathers

Rational theists and allies mostly designed a secular governance for a nation composed generally of Christians.

The only committed forerunners of the traditional liturgy and neo-evangelicalism were John Jay and Patrick Henry, two of more than fifty.

The separation of church and state is one of our core values. That's one of the reasons that make this country great.

Just look around the world at all the fucked up theocracy's; Iran, Israel, etc. Once you mix religion and government, your country is fucked!
Too late!

(now.. far "".. probably)

Doesn't matter. Embrace the struggle. Love is our only purpose and redemption.

Ding, Tocqueville is talking about a nation generally of Christians, not a Christian nation.

Our Constitution is overwhelmingly secular.

If the Fathers had realized how many Catholics would emigrate to the US, they would have banned their entry.

The Fathers thought the Baptists and proto-evangelicals to be weird.

They went crazy with the Mormons when it appeated in 1830.

We are secular government that protects the right to believe but not force religion on its citizens.
"...At times the Founding Fathers spoke of natural rights as being the gift of nature, but in practically every instance it was meant the gift of God which clothed us with a distinctive nature, as afore said. For instance, James Madison, who clearly acknowledged the Deistic source of right, wrote: "The equal right of every citizen to the free exercise of his religion according to the dictates of conscience is held by the same tenure with all our other rights. If we recur to its origin, it is equally the gift of nature .... -42 "The laws of nature are the laws of God; whose authority can be superseded by no power on earth, "wrote George Mason.4 3 And George Washington admonished us that as a nation we should forever respect "the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."44 Carl Becker, outstanding scholar on Jefferson and the American Revolution, has concluded that to the Founding Fathers "the natural rights philosophy was essentially at one with the Christian faith."45..."

Last edited:
Chester James Antieau is an interesting figure whose arguments on natural rights and the Constitution are flawed.

Since I am in rebuttal, you need to present a case, Ding, not post an article.

Chester James Antieau is an interesting figure whose arguments on natural rights and the Constitution are flawed.

Since I am in rebuttal, you need to present a case, Ding, not post an article.
My obligation has already been satisfied, and the point being cited was Carl Becker's.

"Argument in Robin v. Hardaway, 2 Va. (Jefferson) 109 (1772)."

Last edited:
God's name is clearly mentioned in our founding documents. We were founded on the basis of religious freedom. You don't have to like it...but most people would appreciate y'all not running yo moufs on what you know NOTHING about. or you clearly want to misinform.

Wallbuilders! Are you kidding? 😂😂😂😂

His theory of natural rights is flawed imo, but that does not matter. His work in Loving should be noted, though..
Do you have any links that support that belief? Has anyone actually argued the Founding Fathers didn’t believe in natural rights? Or the source of those natural rights?

One of the items that I've disagreed with over the years on this board has been the issue relating to our founding fathers and Christianity. For a while now I've not bought into the idea that America was founded as a Christian nation. Besides a select few sermons I catch each week, I also enjoy listening to the weekly podcast, 5 Minutes in Church History. Got around to yesterday's edition and in it I believe is reliable picture of Christianity during the establishment of country, especially in the period during the writing of the Constitution.

The Second Great Awakening Overlook

An excerpt:

Well, if we look at the 1790s, we see that it was an age of reason, as the book title has it, by Thomas Payne. And at the very beginnings of this young American republic, there was a strong sense of secularism. Historians have documented that church attendance in the decade of the 1790s in America was in the single digits, percentage-wise.

It was not only an age of secularism, it was also an age of deism. These old congregational churches in New England were quickly careening into what was called unitarian universalism, and neither one of those are good doctrines, and put them together, it’s really bad.
I understand, after the first thanksgiving( 1600,s) the white men started to murder the indians for the land and gold--Thus far removed from being Christian in any sense. None of the religions back then were actually christian. They were branches off the great apostasy( 2 Thess 2:3=the son of destruction( peredition)= Catholicism, who at their councils twisted it into oblivion. Added pagan practices off the table of demons to both holidays they invented and try to hand them to Jesus. They even named easter after the false god worshipped in the Chaldean rites of spring festival=Astarte=Ishtar( pronounced-eastar)The protestants fixed little. Information was not so easily accessible back then.
Satan beat billions living now centuries ago.

You put up an article that you discussed not all.
I emphasized the point by bolding the text.

Carl Becker, outstanding scholar on Jefferson and the American Revolution, has concluded that to the Founding Fathers "the natural rights philosophy was essentially at one with the Christian faith."45...

Do you have source that refutes Carl Becker?

I have never seen any historian or legal scholar argue that the Founding Fathers did not believe in natural law, that they believed natural law wasn’t from God, that they believed we don’t have a duty to God or that these beliefs were not consistent with Christian beliefs.

I have never seen any historian or legal scholar argue that the Founding Fathers did not believe in natural law, that they believed natural law wasn’t from God, that they believed we don’t have a duty to God or that these beliefs were not consistent with Christian beliefs.
Now you have.

From an opinion piece published on a Freedom from Religion website:
We know which one of these Thomas Jefferson was talking about because he wrote about natural law in several other places. A great quote from his opinion of the French treaties: “Questions of the natural right are triable by their conformity with the moral sense and reason of man. Those who write treatises on natural law can only declare what their own moral sense and reason dictate.”

From a Scholarly Paper published in the Washington and Lee Law Review:
Speaking of the natural right of expatriation, Jefferson said in the Summary View: "The evidence of this natural right, like that of our right to life, liberty, the use of our faculties, the pursuit of happiness, is not left to the feeble and sophistical investigations of reason, but is impressed on the sense of every man. We do not claim these under the charters of kings or legislators, but under the King of kings."' 7 In his Notes on Virginia, Jefferson wrote: "And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?"18 Speaking thereof our natural rights, he concluded: "We are answerable for them to our God."' 9 It was in the Summary View in which Jefferson asserted that Parliament had no power to encroach "upon those rights which God and the laws have given equally and independently to all."20

"...Later in life Jefferson wrote that we must follow "those moral rules which the Author of our being has implanted in man as the law of his nature to govern him in his associated, as well as individual character."21 That the natural rights of man came from God, in Jefferson's belief, was beyond doubt..."

I emphasized the point by bolding the text.

Carl Becker, outstanding scholar on Jefferson and the American Revolution, has concluded that to the Founding Fathers "the natural rights philosophy was essentially at one with the Christian faith."45...

Do you have source that refutes Carl Becker?
that's his opinison but so what

Belief in natural law did not make Christians all like Patrick Henry and John Jay. Many were weak Christians or deists or believe in plural gods. At least one, Ethan Allan, was an atheists.

Two out of plus fifty does not strain the soup for you.

Forum List

Back