Chicken washed in chlorine ?

I understand that it is bleached to wash away the effects of the poor treatment that they suffer.The fear is that it will turn up in nuggets and so on. Nobody is going to buy it as "chicken".

This is the very point that koshergrl accidentally made - People no longer raise and slaughter their own food. The chickens people are eating now come from factories. Chickens really are not "filthy" at all but in a factory setting, they have no choice. After death, they're soaked in feces and the bleach bath does not wash that away.
Over here you can choose to buy free range or "caged" chicken or eggs. Free range costs more so it is a middle class concern. Is it the same over there ?
Yes, to a point.

And keep in mind..if there is bleach in the dipping water, I guarantee it's a federal mandate.

bleach is a disinfectant------it is used in hospitals, too. It's ok-----we just like to call it
"HYPOCHLORITE SOLUTION" <<<< does that make you feel better?

I buy all of my meats from a local butcher who only buys from local farms, posted guarantee. All of the chickens come from a large Amish chicken farm about 70 miles from here...none are genetically modified, no antibiotics, no chlorine bleach or saline solutions.
Chickens are processed on site.
Chances are, you have a butcher store somewhere near you that you can buy from. The meat is 100 times better tasting and none of that weird gelatinous/rubbery texture of the frankenchicken in grocery stores.

I understand that it is bleached to wash away the effects of the poor treatment that they suffer.The fear is that it will turn up in nuggets and so on. Nobody is going to buy it as "chicken".

This is the very point that koshergrl accidentally made - People no longer raise and slaughter their own food. The chickens people are eating now come from factories. Chickens really are not "filthy" at all but in a factory setting, they have no choice. After death, they're soaked in feces and the bleach bath does not wash that away.
Chickens are filthy even the ones you raise in your own yard but Tommy may prefer to have his chicken sprayed with benzalkonium other than have them dipped in a bleach water solution prior to being package while they are still raw meat.

I think the US does something with eggs. Hence the need to keep them in the refrigerator. Whereas in Europe, we can keep them at room temperature.
No, we don't do anything to the eggs. People are just stupid and think they need to be kept in the fridge.

I think the US does something with eggs. Hence the need to keep them in the refrigerator. Whereas in Europe, we can keep them at room temperature.

we wash the protective gunk off of them----it is a law but it makes them more perishable

No, we don't do anything to the eggs. People are just stupid and think they need to be kept in the fridge.

yes----we do wash them------in Europe they do not----the gunk that they have on them when LAID is
protective. Eggs should be fridged----unless your own chicken, matilda----laid them

yes----we do wash them------in Europe they do not----the gunk that they have on them when LAID is
protective. Eggs should be fridged----unless your own chicken, matilda----laid them
Another stupid federal reg. Figures.

salmonella is a bitch The eggs get packed up-----they sit in the grocery store-----they come home and
sit around-----little hands touch them ------etc etc ----too much opportunity for salmonella to GET AROUND

salmonella is a bitch The eggs get packed up-----they sit in the grocery store-----they come home and
sit around-----little hands touch them ------etc etc ----too much opportunity for salmonella to GET AROUND

They're more likely to because the barrier is destroyed.
All the wash does is remove salmonella from the outside of the shell before it goes to the stores.

It doesn't protect it from salmonella once it comes home.

"....not only is there a medium that promotes bacterial growth, but the water also provides an excellent vehicle for pathogens such as salmonella and other critters to pass through via the tens of thousands of pores on the surface of the egg shell.

"It’s in part because of the above risk that the EU has ruled out egg washing, asserting that careless washing procedures can lead to more damage than good."

Why American Eggs Would Be Illegal In A British Supermarket, And Vice Versa

Well...actually, the salmonella most likely comes from the hen who is infected and thus her eggs are also infected.
Just sayin

And to the OP Tommy Tainant
Yes we can buy better chickens in the U.S.
Unfortunately, like everything else, corporatism has virtually taken over the entire food chain.
However you can still buy chicken/pork/beef that are locally grown, and more importantly LOCALLY PROCESSED...that is the real key.

All the wash does is remove salmonella from the outside of the shell before it goes to the stores.

"....not only is there a medium that promotes bacterial growth, but the water also provides an excellent vehicle for pathogens such as salmonella and other critters to pass through via the tens of thousands of pores on the surface of the egg shell.

"It’s in part because of the above risk that the EU has ruled out egg washing, asserting that careless washing procedures can lead to more damage than good."

there would have to be salmonella in your house and on the fingers of your four year old----
who gets to play with your UNFRIDGED eggs. Some of the brit laws are left over for
people who do not have a fridge------lots of people in GREAT limey land live in rooms
that have no fridges and cook on a little coal driven heater-------and get a bath by
appointment only-------------well .... it was that way for some people that even I knew---back
then. The fridge helps keep bacteria down-----salmonella like WARM. It is not good to stick
your raw chickens in the sink and run water on them-------little gram negative bastard rods can
live in a wet sink. My mom used to nevah crack an egg without WASHING it first------clearly
a habit leftover from EARLIER days -----it actually---makes little sense

Normal cooking basically sterilizes any meat/egg.
And for Pete's sake you do NOT need to cook it till 165!!! That is absurd, and only dries the meat out.
At 150, it only takes seconds to kill virtually 100% of any bacteria present.
Americans grossly overcook their food.

Normal cooking basically sterilizes any meat/egg.
And for Pete's sake you do NOT need to cook it till 165!!! That is absurd, and only dries the meat out.
At 150, it only takes seconds to kill virtually 100% of any bacteria present.
Americans grossly overcook their food.

not eggs. -------you put a RAW EGG into your turkey stuffing---------it is likely not to cook at all DEEP in the
turkey's ass ---------egg nog?

there would have to be salmonella in your house and on the fingers of your four year old----
who gets to play with your UNFRIDGED eggs. Some of the brit laws are left over for
people who do not have a fridge------lots of people in GREAT limey land live in rooms
that have no fridges and cook on a little coal driven heater-------and get a bath by
appointment only-------------well .... it was that way for some people that even I knew---back
then. The fridge helps keep bacteria down-----salmonella like WARM. It is not good to stick
your raw chickens in the sink and run water on them-------little gram negative bastard rods can
live in a wet sink. My mom used to nevah crack an egg without WASHING it first------clearly

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

about what, hon? ------limey land or my mom washing every damn egg before she SCRAMBLED?
she is 97 and probably still does it. Some salmonella is VERY SERIOUSLY PATHOGENIC--
can kill a kid

Are you serious?

about what, hon? ------limey land or my mom washing every damn egg before she SCRAMBLED?
she is 97 and probably still does it. Some salmonella is VERY SERIOUSLY PATHOGENIC--
can kill a kid

About England.

Are you serious?

can kill a kid

About England.

what part? I was never there----except for 15 minutes at the airport. ------HOWEVER
hubby was there as a student in his 20s for a few years (in the 1960s) I have distant
relatives there and some other relatives have gone there to visit now and then. Some of
my colleagues lived there for special EXPOSURE to their special teaching hospitals------I WAS
told about the living conditions which usually include NO SHOWER OR BATHTUB------
no fridge for a room renter------just a little heater like trying to cook over a Bunsen burner----
either that or a pint of beer and no food at the local pub. Some of the private homes had no
bathtub or shower-------one goes to the PUBLIC thing ------ugh.-------da toilet is in da hallway----
the PULL THE CHAIN set up

Forum List

Back