Chicago’s South Side Left With Few Food Options After Weekend Violence

I can think of six grocery stores off the top of my head within three miles or less from my home.
And it's a wealthy area.
Is your bros house in a new development and things just havent caught up yet?
Maybe 20 years ago, I went to visit a Navy buddy in Plano Texas. As you go south on I-35, it's pretty flat but Plano still sits a little lower than the land to the north so sort of all at once, the rooftops of the housing developments come into view. It's changed now but then all you could see for a very great distance were endless rooftops. It took almost 15 minutes driving into that sea of rooftops to get to his house. Going out to dinner was 20+ minutes out of the subdivision the other way and another 20 to 25 minutes down some back country 2-lane road to get to the closest restaurant..

The last time I was down there, it had changed quite a bit. Now there are gas stations and strip malls, restaurants and grocery stores, around what was the outskirts then of the massive sea of houses and more houses around those.

Retail opportunities follow success; they don't lead it and they don't follow collapse - or rioting and looting.

Who would want to put or rebuild a Small Business or Large Retail Business in these cities?

The tremendous Family Dollar chain has been establishing 1000's of hood locations across the fruited plain.

If you go into their store, the PA system has a message on a loop, advising shoppers in the hood that shoplifting is against Ohio State Law
against the law unless you are black

They don't mention that in the Family Dollar Store in the hood. I've shopped there many times, always felt like a marshmallow in a cup of hot chocolate

In many cities across the country, the black communities are up in arms and requiring that dollar stores be banned in their areas. I don't understand that because without dollar stores where are the thugs going to get their drug money?

I can think of six grocery stores off the top of my head within three miles or less from my home.
And it's a wealthy area.
Is your bros house in a new development and things just havent caught up yet?
Maybe 20 years ago, I went to visit a Navy buddy in Plano Texas. As you go south on I-35, it's pretty flat but Plano still sits a little lower than the land to the north so sort of all at once, the rooftops of the housing developments come into view. It's changed now but then all you could see for a very great distance were endless rooftops. It took almost 15 minutes driving into that sea of rooftops to get to his house. Going out to dinner was 20+ minutes out of the subdivision the other way and another 20 to 25 minutes down some back country 2-lane road to get to the closest restaurant..

The last time I was down there, it had changed quite a bit. Now there are gas stations and strip malls, restaurants and grocery stores, around what was the outskirts then of the massive sea of houses and more houses around those.

Retail opportunities follow success; they don't lead it and they don't follow collapse - or rioting and looting.

In Houston they have stores going up the minute they finish a new highway.
They know the houses will be coming fast a furious.

That's true. I was headed to a friend's house in West Houston, I-10 and Highway 6 area. East on 6 a few miles and there's a big, beautiful H.E.B. in pasture land.. Half a mile away, though, the houses are going in like crazy. My friend lived in one of those.

That's true. I was headed to a friend's house in West Houston, I-10 and Highway 6 area. East on 6 a few miles and there's a big, beautiful H.E.B. in pasture land.. Half a mile away, though, the houses are going in like crazy. My friend lived in one of those.
A question. Are the houses being built in higher levels? That storm a couple of years ago submerged a lot of them.

You're a little off somewhere.
There hasnt been a clear piece of land off 6 and I-10 in at least two decades.

And if you were on 6 you were heading either north or south.

I moved into the area in 1970. It was nothing but bean, rice fields and woods. Man the hunting!! Goose,duck,deer and hogs.
And the farmers didnt care as long as you asked for permission.
Those were the good old days.

This is true of predominately poor black areas all over the country. Few grocery stores exist in these areas.

It’s an example of the two Americas we live in. We are the wealthiest third world nation in the world, after all.

America has Turd World cities, like San Francisco where people crap right on the sidewalks.

But we aren't a Turd World country

This is true of predominately poor black areas all over the country. Few grocery stores exist in these areas.

It’s an example of the two Americas we live in. We are the wealthiest third world nation in the world, after all.
All they need to do is act civilized and problem solved.

All they need to do is act civilized and problem solved.

The reason they don't act civilized, because they know they can get away with it. And they like the way it is now.

Over in Philadelphia, PA, the rioters have torn down a statue of the city's legendary police commish and mayor, Frank Rizzo. Rizzo was known for being no-nonsense, they didn't like that.

Who would want to put or rebuild a Small Business or Large Retail Business in these cities?

The tremendous Family Dollar chain has been establishing 1000's of hood locations across the fruited plain.

If you go into their store, the PA system has a message on a loop, advising shoppers in the hood that shoplifting is against Ohio State Law
Yep. And I'm constantly hearing on the radio about robberies and assaults in the Family Dollar stores in the black areas. Surprisingly I dont hear the same thing about Dollar General or Dollar Tree. I wonder why it's always Family Dollar

Yep. And I'm constantly hearing on the radio about robberies and assaults in the Family Dollar stores in the black areas. Surprisingly I dont hear the same thing about Dollar General or Dollar Tree. I wonder why it's always Family Dollar

Dollar Tree is a different kind of store, everything is a buck.

But Dollar General is similar to Family Dollar. I think the main diff is the Dollar General is more concentrated in poor rural area, while Family Dollar has more Ghetto locations.

Black migration is happening out of Chicago. They are widening the highway westward. Aggressive black female panhandlers will follow their victims into the food store with disregard of security cams while also violating social distance rules.

Forum List

Back