Challenging Call Out/Cancel Culture

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Call-out culture...Cancel-culture, seeing who can out social justice the other...it’s become a culture gone crazy with perpetual outrage alongside it’s opposite, the “just because I can, I will” culture bent on outraging.

I like what this woman has to say....

It is really past time to step down.

I am challenging the call-out culture,” Professor Ross said from her home in Atlanta, where she was lecturing on Zoom to students on a recent evening, in a blue muumuu from Ghana. “I think you can understand how calling out is toxic. It really does alienate people, and makes them fearful of speaking up.

She doesn’t believe people should be publicly shamed for accidentally misgendering a classmate, which she once did, leading to a Title IX complaint that was later dismissed; for sending a stupid tweet they now regret; or for, say, admitting they once liked a piece of pop culture now viewed in a different light, such as “The Cosby Show.”

“If it were on TV right now, I’d watch the reruns,” she said.

“What I’m really impatient with is calling people out for something they said when they were a teenager when they’re now 55. I mean, we all at some point did some unbelievably stupid stuff as teenagers, right?”

Professor Ross thinks call-out culture has taken conversations that could have once been learning opportunities and turned them into mud wrestling on message boards, YouTube comments, Twitter and at colleges like Smith, where proving one’s commitment to social justice has become something of a varsity sport.

I think this is also related to something I just discovered called doom scrolling,” Professor Ross told the students. “I think we actually sabotage our own happiness with this unrestrained anger. And I have to honestly ask: Why are you making choices to make the world crueler than it needs to be and calling that being ‘woke’?”

The antidote to that outrage cycle, Professor Ross believes, is “calling in.” Calling in is like calling out, but done privately and with respect. “It’s a call out done with love,” she said. That may mean simply sending someone a private message, or even ringing them on the telephone (!) to discuss the matter, or simply taking a breath before commenting, screen-shotting or demanding one “do better” without explaining how.

Call-out culture...Cancel-culture, seeing who can out social justice the other...it’s become a culture gone crazy with perpetual outrage alongside it’s opposite, the “just because I can, I will” culture bent on outraging.

I am challenging the call-out culture,” Professor Ross said from her home in Atlanta, where she was lecturing on Zoom to students on a recent evening, in a blue muumuu from Ghana. “I think you can understand how calling out is toxic. It really does alienate people, and makes them fearful of speaking up.

She doesn’t believe people should be publicly shamed for accidentally misgendering a classmate, which she once did, leading to a Title IX complaint that was later dismissed; for sending a stupid tweet they now regret; or for, say, admitting they once liked a piece of pop culture now viewed in a different light, such as “The Cosby Show.”

“What I’m really impatient with is calling people out for something they said when they were a teenager when they’re now 55. I mean, we all at some point did some unbelievably stupid stuff as teenagers, right?”

Professor Ross thinks call-out culture has taken conversations that could have once been learning opportunities and turned them into mud wrestling on message boards, YouTube comments, Twitter and at colleges like Smith, where proving one’s commitment to social justice has become something of a varsity sport.

I think this is also related to something I just discovered called doom scrolling,” Professor Ross told the students. “I think we actually sabotage our own happiness with this unrestrained anger. And I have to honestly ask: Why are you making choices to make the world crueler than it needs to be and calling that being ‘woke’?”

The antidote to that outrage cycle, Professor Ross believes, is “calling in.” Calling in is like calling out, but done privately and with respect. “It’s a call out done with love,” she said. That may mean simply sending someone a private message, or even ringing them on the telephone (!) to discuss the matter, or simply taking a breath before commenting, screen-shotting or demanding one “do better” without explaining how.

I like her before I read what she had to say , brb going to read it

merlin_180079701_0bb0e2b8-07a4-4d37-9b5a-2ef00aa42d37-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

Yeah she got it..

Here's how to deal with these brown shirts from now on. Get deplorable in real every day life. Show them no respect. Don't let them blend in any more. Donlt do anything illegal, of course. But donlt let them blend in like they're one of us while at the same time systematically working against every aspect of our civil liberties and prosperity.

QnyL.gif

Last edited:
None of y'all have a problem with it when right winger do it, huh?

I don't see why their outrage has to be my outrage....

It doesn't. They are still free to boycott if they like.

Yeah she got it..

I think the internet and social media has encouraged this constant cycle of outrage.

Disingenuousness on steroids.

Just like the Soviet commies before, you Jacobin sneaks are demanding unilateral disarmament (i.e. accepting your polluted premises) before you "play nice".

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Your dicks are subnormal. I think I’ll pass.

Not sure what your talking about, but feel free to continue venting.
Presupposition confirmed.

Thanks.

Disingenuousness on steroids.

Just like the Soviet commies before, you Jacobin sneaks are demanding unilateral disarmament (i.e. accepting your polluted premises) before you "play nice".

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Your dicks are subnormal. I think I’ll pass.

Not sure what your talking about, but feel free to continue venting.
Presupposition confirmed.

Thanks.
Of course it is.

Yeah she got it..

I think the internet and social media has encouraged this constant cycle of outrage.
Of course, we are bombarded with information good and bad, our minds keep ticking when we go to sleep..

Forum List

Back