Chafee in 'Holiday' Tree Debate

The outcry because he chooses to call it a holiday tree, as to be inclusive of all religions, instead of a Christmas tree, is really childish.

Why does it need to be renamed after all these years to being called a Holiday tree? What's the impetus?

Think about it.

Last edited:
I want to be clear here. The word Christmas must now be banned from the public square say some? Holiday as a word is okay even though it is derived from the Holy Day? You do realize these are words that are fair to use in the public square and that the word Christmas does not in itself create a moment of prayer or an endorsement of anything.

It doesnt need to be banned, just not promoted on the dollar of all of the other religious and ethnic backgrounds in a very diverse country.

It's not all thyat hard to understand, it's just that pride clouds intellectual honesty sometimes. I can see both sides of the issue, as a result.

He's doing the right thing.

The Government showing preference to one segment of a Country is not right. Thjey're not there to play certain religions over others in a Public, i.e. Official fashion.

It's wrong, and it's prejudiced. Once they can celebrate all Holidays equally as a public policy, we'll talk but that's not what has occured and because of that, correcting the course is the right way to go.

You don't need xmas to be exploited by public officials for you to celebrate and enjoy it, you shouldn't anyways. If you do, you're doing it wrong with all due respect.

It's a tree GT! My town decorates with a tree, wreaths and lights all over, paid for by town revenue. What people think or are celebrating while in the presence of these decorations is irrelevant. Celebrate whatever suits you or ignore it all if that is your choice.

There is nothing about these decorations that is religious in nature.

Oh and by the way, Holiday Tree. Guess where the word Holiday is derived from folks?

Online Etymology Dictionary

It's a Christmas Tree, Christmas was Religious in Nature and it's a ruse to pretend that it's not about Christmas.

Nobody cares about a tree, they care that we're pitting Religions (still) in 2012 against each other in Public office.

It's wrong, and to maliciously go after the people who say so is wrong as well.

Then where is the minora?

It's a tree GT! My town decorates with a tree, wreaths and lights all over, paid for by town revenue. What people think or are celebrating while in the presence of these decorations is irrelevant. Celebrate whatever suits you or ignore it all if that is your choice.

Oh and by the way, Holiday Tree. Guess where the word Holiday is derived from folks?

It's a Christmas Tree, Christmas was Religious in Nature and it's a ruse to pretend that it's not about Christmas.

Nobody cares about a tree, they care that we're pitting Religions (still) in 2012 against each other in Public office.

Why don't you put one up? And I dare say that no "Christmas Tree lover" will bitch about it.

Menorah, dipshyte.

Regards from Rosie

The outcry because he chooses to call it a holiday tree, as to be inclusive of all religions, instead of a Christmas tree, is really childish.

Why does it need to be renamed after all these years to being called a Holiday tree? What's the impetus?

Think about it.

why did it need to be renamed a Christmas Tree when in the past it was not?

Think about it.

To be more inclusive

December is not owned by Christians, there are several religions who celebrate a holiday in December. Saying "happy holidays" and trying to include everyone in public celebrations, that are paid for by everyones tax dollars, isn't a bad thing.

I can already see the outrage if instead of putting up a tree, some city officials decided to put up "happy Ashura" signs and give all the school kids a day off for the Muslim holiday.

I want to be clear here. The word Christmas must now be banned from the public square say some? Holiday as a word is okay even though it is derived from the Holy Day? You do realize these are words that are fair to use in the public square and that the word Christmas does not in itself create a moment of prayer or an endorsement of anything.

It doesnt need to be banned, just not promoted on the dollar of all of the other religious and ethnic backgrounds in a very diverse country.

It's not all thyat hard to understand, it's just that pride clouds intellectual honesty sometimes. I can see both sides of the issue, as a result.

I know of at least one very diverse city here in Mass with a Nativity manger on the town center and no complaints that I am aware of GT. It has been a fixture for years and non-Christians have not complained. There are also several parades and celebrations that the various ethnic and religious groups put on and all the people live in harmony it appears.

Attachments

• $manger.JPG
    $manger.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 60

Think about it.

To be more inclusive

December is not owned by Christians, there are several religions who celebrate a holiday in December. Saying "happy holidays" and trying to include everyone in public celebrations, that are paid for by everyones tax dollars, isn't a bad thing.

I can already see the outrage if instead of putting up a tree, some city officials decided to put up "happy Ashura" signs and give all the school kids a day off for the Muslim holiday.

I know cities where the people celebrate their cultures and faith on city grounds often. Problem? Asian Water Festivals? Ban them? Rename them? Buddhist too.

Think about it.

To be more inclusive

I know cities where the people celebrate their cultures and faith on city grounds often. Problem? Asian Water Festivals? Ban them? Rename them? Buddhist too.

No one is suggesting that people don't have the right to celebrate their faiths openly and on public grounds. Just that calling the tree thats paid for with public money, a holiday tree to include all holidays in December is not a war on Christians.

To be more inclusive

No one is suggesting that people don't have the right to celebrate their faiths openly and on public grounds. Just that calling the tree thats paid for with public money, a holiday tree to include all holidays in December is not a war on Christians.

First I never believed there was some war on anything. That is foolish talk. There is a small group of malcontents who want to play tough about something that is not an issue for the majority. Imo they are idiots. A holiday tree is a holy tree. Fools. A tree has never been an endorsement of any faith ever.

Think about it.

To be more inclusive

So we "include" a few at the expense of the majority which is what some here just today argued is the way it should be. That being, majority rules. And those were posters on the left saying that. By that logic, no need to rename it a Holiday tree. You call it what you want and I'll call it what I want. The majority is not asking to rename it a Holiday Tree.

This is why it's such a sensitive issue. This notion of... because I want something I should get it regardless of who loses since I am more important than you because I am a politically correct issue.

That's what this is about. We've seen it before on other issues. One asshole doesn't like the Star Spangled Banner so no one gets to sing it. There are many other examples.

This is just a media generated issue.

Think about it.

To be more inclusive

So we "include" a few at the expense of the majority which is what some here just today argued is the way it should be. That being, majority rules. And those were posters on the left saying that. By that logic, no need to rename it a Holiday tree. You call it what you want and I'll call it what I want. The majority is not asking to rename it a Holiday Tree.

This is why it's such a sensitive issue. This notion of... because I want something I should get it regardless of who loses since I am more important than you because I am a politically correct issue.

That's what this is about. We've seen it before on other issues. One asshole doesn't like the Star Spangled Banner so no one gets to sing it. There are many other examples.

This is just a media generated issue.

You can call it a Christmas tree, and I would fight agaisnt anyone attempting to tell you you can't.

who the fuck cares.

The only ones I know who give a fuck are angry right-wing Christians... Angry about the fact that the world doesn't fit in their nice, neat little box.

They have had it their way for so long they think everyone else should shut up, and let the spoiled brats have their way.

remember they are the majority till someone doesn't do what they want and they then become a minority victim. Thats having things forced down their throats ( their gay term not mine) by these bullies!

I agree. I don't consider the tree an endorsement of faith. I also think worrying about what the government calls the tree is a bit silly.

When our town decorates and lights the tree there is no prayer or mention of faith by any town official. There are vending carts, hot chocolate, ice sculptures, Christmas music and Santa Claus and his elves and people of the town just gathering to share in the festivities. People of various faiths and of no faith attend. Why people choose to celebrate that day and the goings on are personal and does not matter to anyone. The whole point of the town festivities is for fun!

Keep in mind that even a town official can break out in song and sing a religious Christmas carol and no one can stop him or her. That is a right we all have and I dare anyone to try and take that right away from one American.

The only ones I know who give a fuck are angry right-wing Christians... Angry about the fact that the world doesn't fit in their nice, neat little box.

They have had it their way for so long they think everyone else should shut up, and let the spoiled brats have their way.

remember they are the majority till someone doesn't do what they want and they then become a minority victim. Thats having things forced down their throats ( their gay term not mine) by these bullies!

It's just typical of the rightwing Christian mindset: My way or the highway....exclusionary and discriminatory. Chafee is attempting to include everyone, atheists as well, during the holiday times. Figures the ignorant would get pissy about that.

Forum List

Back