Cellphone Bill Ruins Woman's Life

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Toronto mother who says her marriage fell apart because her Rogers cellphone bill exposed her extramarital affair is suing Canada's largest cellphone provider.

But Rogers argues Gabriella Nagy can't blame its billing practices for the breakdown of her marriage.

In documents filed in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Ms. Nagy seeks $600,000 for alleged invasion of privacy and breach of contract.

“The marriage breakup apparently resulted from the fact the plaintiff was having an extramarital affair, a fact admitted in the statement of claim,” the company’s statement of defence reads.

“Rogers is not responsible for the plaintiff's affair or its consequences.”

The communications giant is asking the court to dismiss the suit.

Ms. Nagy's suit says she continues to suffer “emotional and psychological distress” and is being treated by a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

Woman sues Rogers over cellphone bill, says it ruined her marriage - The Globe and Mail

So the "victim mentality" isn't just a U.S. phenomenon, eh?

Ms. Nagy's bill was being sent in her name until her husband signed up for Rogers Internet and home phone. Those services, along with Ms. Nagy's cellphone, were bundled into one bill, and that new invoice was addressed to her husband, the suit alleges.
The invoice mailed to her then-husband contained details of her outgoing cellphone calls, the suit, filed in January, 2009, says.
:eusa_eh: While I agree the affair was her fault this does seem like an invasion of privacy.

That's what she is claiming but the bills were bundled because the cable and internet were in his name. I thought you forfeited "privacy" when you sign a contract to be married. Just this morning my husband was shaving while I was in the shower. Who can I sue? Lol

That's what she is claiming but the bills were bundled because the cable and internet were in his name. I thought you forfeited "privacy" when you sign a contract to be married. Just this morning my husband was shaving while I was in the shower. Who can I sue? Lol

Sue the builder. They should have put in separate shower facilities. It's an outrage!

Do you? I think you are incorrect.

Ms. Nagy's bill was being sent in her name until her husband signed up for Rogers Internet and home phone. Those services, along with Ms. Nagy's cellphone, were bundled into one bill, and that new invoice was addressed to her husband, the suit alleges.
The invoice mailed to her then-husband contained details of her outgoing cellphone calls, the suit, filed in January, 2009, says.
:eusa_eh: While I agree the affair was her fault this does seem like an invasion of privacy.

She would have had to agreed to the bundling me thinks. The method was probably spelled out in the contract terms. the large document with small print that most people dont read.

This lawsuit should be smacked down. She's an idiot. This fail is for her.

GoldMedalFail.jpg

I'm sorry, but whether the phone company made a mistake or not, the blame for this still rests squarely on her shoulders. She chose to fool around on her husband, and needs to accept the consequences for such deception. My boyfriend and I have separate cell phone bills, but if he somehow got hold of mine, be it through phone company error or my own laziness in leaving it lying around, he'd find nothing to be concerned about, as would also be the case if I had his bill. It's called being honest and not trying to deceive your partner.

Was there an invasion of privacy here? I don't know. Personally, I don't think so. I think, between a husband and wife, or really any committed romantic relationship in which the two partners share a home, bills, and possibly a family, there's no real "privacy", per se. No, not everything HAS to be shared, but I think in that type of relationship, there really isn't an expectation of privacy when you share a home, bills, a bed, an entire life. I think it's very likely the phone company made a mistake, and I suppose they should be made to apologize for that mistake if there was one, but I still don't find them to blame for her having an affair and then getting caught.

I'm sorry, but whether the phone company made a mistake or not, the blame for this still rests squarely on her shoulders. She chose to fool around on her husband, and needs to accept the consequences for such deception. My boyfriend and I have separate cell phone bills, but if he somehow got hold of mine, be it through phone company error or my own laziness in leaving it lying around, he'd find nothing to be concerned about, as would also be the case if I had his bill. It's called being honest and not trying to deceive your partner.

Was there an invasion of privacy here? I don't know. Personally, I don't think so. I think, between a husband and wife, or really any committed romantic relationship in which the two partners share a home, bills, and possibly a family, there's no real "privacy", per se. No, not everything HAS to be shared, but I think in that type of relationship, there really isn't an expectation of privacy when you share a home, bills, a bed, an entire life. I think it's very likely the phone company made a mistake, and I suppose they should be made to apologize for that mistake if there was one, but I still don't find them to blame for her having an affair and then getting caught.
Would you open and read your spouse's mail.

"An entire life?" A person's life doesn't start at marriage.

I think that the expectation the marriage will join two people into one is unrealistic. No matter how close you become to another person, we all remain individuals.

I don't think this woman can blame the phone bill for her failed marriage but if they shared her info with someone else without her permission, they are in the wrong.

Last edited:
She cheated, she got caught, she's a fool.

If I need something in my wife's purse I know where to go get her purse and find what I need. If she needs something from my wallet she pats me on the ass and takes my wallet.

No biggie, and privacy is the last thing on our minds. I mean we do each others laundry even....

"Privacy" is simply a code word for "secrets". Unless you are planning a 40th birthday party, secrets have no place in a marriage.
Suppose a friend confides in you something very confidential. Are you obligated to tell your spouse?

i totally disagree on the privacy thing...one can be married and still have privacy....and one should be more careful when stepping out...she should have realized when she didnt get her bill something was up...and come on she couldnt cover a few calls...what kinda liar did she think she was?

but i swear cell phone companies will fuck you in a heartbeat...when my son was a minor...you could call the local cellphone company and have a trace put on the phone..you could get a general location....w/o kidlet knowing

then they gave me a cellphone with a number that one was one digit off from hubbys....i turned that one in....i got one now..the number is one digit off from sons...dial a 1 instead of an 0 and you get me....

Forum List

Back