Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

I have a feeling the lesbians will win this case just on the basis of discrimination, but that's a thread in itself.

Assuming that Catholics are Christians, that Jesus upheld Mosaic law and that homosexuality is a sin, then the school has done the right thing. And if the lesbians "win" and the aforementioned assumptions are correct, expect this town to be destroyed by fire and brimstone.

How is the refusal to allow a child to attend a school where he will be taught that homosexuality is a sin, when he is the son of homosexuals... "punishing the child"??? :eusa_eh:

It sounds to me like these people are more interested in making an activist statement than they are in what's in the best interest of this 8 year-old boy. Being put into a situation that can't help but cause moral conflict certainly isn't serving him. It's serving themselves. According to the OP, they're not even Catholic. One is left to assume, that they're just trying to start some shit, and they're using their KID to do it.

Somebody's got to be the grown-up in the room. Unfortunately for this kid, it wasn't his parents.

They should get a dog next time. Raising kids isn't a hobby or a joke. You have to do what's best for THEM.

so you think teaching this in school will hurt this child???

Yes. I think it would put him into moral conflict, learning one thing in school and and another at home. I think it could be spiritually confusing since the religious teaching is in direct opposition to what ought to be a natural family loyalty and might affect other aspects of his relationship with God. I think it might even present social conflicts with the other kids, that it could make him uncomfortable sharing the dynamics of his family for fear of criticism.

His well-being should be the FIRST consideration. Not whether or not his parents' chosen lifestyle is acceptable at the neighborhood Catholic elementary school.

p.s. That said, it is NOT incumbent upon the Church to change its teaching. It is what it is. People are free to take it or leave it.

i went to catholic school through the sixth grade and i don't recall a whole lot of time being spent on any aspect of sex, gay or otherwise. in fact, i remember ZERO time being devoted to it.

i very much doubt that that has changed a whole lot.

Yes, we are, and in the religious sense as well :lol:

But my point was that monolithic religion sought and in high percentages suppressed the idea of female divinity, and that they did so to suppress human female agency.

Monotheistic religion, by definition, must choose between one gender or the other. Maybe they flipped a coin?

But I doubt it was done so capriciously.

We can only really guess. My guess is that strong, intelligent women scare the shit out of most men, making a monotheistic religion based on an omniscient, omnipresent female sky god, probably with large boobies, simply a terrifying prospect.

Hear that sucking sound?

yep, every time you post. is it in mp3 format?

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

I have a feeling the lesbians will win this case just on the basis of discrimination, but that's a thread in itself.

Assuming that Catholics are Christians, that Jesus upheld Mosaic law and that homosexuality is a sin, then the school has done the right thing. And if the lesbians "win" and the aforementioned assumptions are correct, expect this town to be destroyed by fire and brimstone.
But hey! The kid is not a lesbian! Hello!

Back in the '50s when I grew up, my brother and I weren't allowed to attend the Catholic elementary school because we were the products of a "mixed" marriage.

My father was Jewish and my mother Catholic; "mixed" enough to keep us out of the Catholic school.

Back in the '50s when I grew up, my brother and I weren't allowed to attend the Catholic elementary school because we were the products of a "mixed" marriage.

My father was Jewish and my mother Catholic; "mixed" enough to keep us out of the Catholic school.

i wasn't allowed to be an altar boy at first, because my father was a convert to catholicism. it made no sense to me either.

i go to a UU church now.

Monotheistic religion, by definition, must choose between one gender or the other. Maybe they flipped a coin?

But I doubt it was done so capriciously.

We can only really guess. My guess is that strong, intelligent women scare the shit out of most men, making a monotheistic religion based on an omniscient, omnipresent female sky god, probably with large boobies, simply a terrifying prospect.

Hear that sucking sound?

yep, every time you post. is it in mp3 format?

I think it's available on i-tunes. I think it would make a great ringtone.

It's probably because adultery is a sin and having same sex relations is an abominable sin.

bullcrapola froggy....Christ TAUGHT that SIN IS SIN....a murderer equal to an adulterer....through Him, and His sacrafice, ALL our sins are forgiven.

read your Bible....KNOW the Word.

There is only ONE unforgivable sin, and that is to sin against the Holy Spirit, as the pharisees did when they accused jesus's miracles....as miracles from Beelzebub.....instead of acknowledging they were from the Holy Spirit.

Read Leviticus

you don't believe in Leviticus. That's my book... remember? You think you can pick and choose? Not follow the dietary laws but abuse some poor child because you don't approve of his/her parent's relationship?

somehow i don't think jesus would approve.

Last edited:
why? Does it OVER RIDE what CHRIST SAID?

With Christ and God being the same how do you seperate their instructions.

How did Christ?

You have continual criticism of the Holy priests, levites, pharisees, Sadducee by Christ...THESE ARE the people that THINK they are holier than thou, that THINK they are following Leviticus and following God's word....

The LEVITE (as in leviticus levite) and the Priest passed by the hurt, left for dead man, on the side of the road, BECAUSE they THOUGHT they were following what God taught, because they THOUGHT they were following Leviticus Rules concerning blood, and the Sabbath etc....while the Samaitan man, one from a tribe that the Holy Jews condemned, ACTUALLY FOLLOWED the WILL of God and HELPED the hurt stranger on the side of the road....

The NT truely shows an utter lack of understanding of judaism, the Torah, and what G-D said in the Torah.

To save a life any jewish law can be broken, including the sbbath. Therefore, jews wouldn't leave someone close to dead on the side of the road.

Christ said the Levite and Priest were wrong in following those supposed ''godly'' rules....and the Samaritan, with compassion for his fellow man, was CORRECT.

Jews don't follow "godly" rules. Jews follow rules that G-D gave them to do.

I can give example after example where Christ reprimanded or spoke down to the religious hierarchy for following things like man's interpretation of Leviticus rules....

Leviticus rules called for the STONING of the adulteress....did Christ follow it?

Also, jews didn't call for the stoning of the adulteress? How do I know? Because at the time there was no jewish court, and only a jewish court could pass a sentence.

The criteria for the death penality in Judaism was also so high, that it was virtually impossible to be carried out.

Some of the criteria are

The Death Penalty in Jewish Tradition - My Jewish Learning

For instance, it is ruled that two witnesses are required to testify not only that they witnessed the act for which the criminal has been charged but that they had warned him beforehand that if he carried out the act he would be executed, and he had to accept the warning, stating his willingness to commit the act despite his awareness of its consequences. The criminal's own confession is not accepted as evidence. Moreover, circumstantial evidence is not admitted.

I find this perversion of Judiasm, and the Torah, to be irritating.

Why can't your beliefs stand on it's own without trashing my beliefs?

Last edited:
Actually I am not sure lesbos would come under the sin against homosexuality.

This is the actual prohibition from Leviticus 18

22. You shall not lie down with a male, as with a woman: this is an abomination.

Actually that is a good point.

I never thought of that!!!! Now that changes everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:razz:

The kid should consider himself lucky.

My wife went to Catholic school for eight years. Several of my friends went, some of them for their entire 13 years. Not a single one of them have anything but complete disdain for the Catholic church.

Catholic schools have a reputation for a decent and disciplined education so I can understand why someone would send their kid there. Plus, even lesbians believe.

I think it's silly to not let the kid go...why is sex even a consideration?

It's a catholic school. Sex is a consideration to them because it's a consideration in THE BIBLE, Ravoid.

If you want secular rules, send your kid to a secular school.

My wife went to Catholic school for eight years. Several of my friends went, some of them for their entire 13 years. Not a single one of them have anything but complete disdain for the Catholic church.

It really is the best way to make sure your kid doesn't grow up Catholic...

I went to a Catholic School, as did my brothers and the majority of my family. None of us have a problem with Catholicism. Go figure.

Actually I am not sure lesbos would come under the sin against homosexuality.

This is the actual prohibition from Leviticus 18

22. You shall not lie down with a male, as with a woman: this is an abomination.

It is. It's part of the broader sexual sins mention, like this verse:

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
Hebrew 13:4

And there is this:

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
Romans 1:26-27

It's one of the signs of the end of times.

Another example of individualism! Who woulda thunk that Catholics could have different experiences and view religion differently?

MA allows same sex marriages. It's prob. not the SEX they object to; it's the sacrament. Just a hunch.

bullcrapola froggy....Christ TAUGHT that SIN IS SIN....a murderer equal to an adulterer....through Him, and His sacrafice, ALL our sins are forgiven.

read your Bible....KNOW the Word.

There is only ONE unforgivable sin, and that is to sin against the Holy Spirit, as the pharisees did when they accused jesus's miracles....as miracles from Beelzebub.....instead of acknowledging they were from the Holy Spirit.

Read Leviticus

you don't believe in Leviticus. That's my book... remember? You think you can pick and choose? Not follow the dietary laws but abuse some poor child because you don't approve of his/her parent's relationship?

somehow i don't think jesus would approve.

Jesus wouldn't even care.

Forum List

Back