Cannabis compounds stopped COVID virus from infecting human cells in lab study

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Can’t access the article, but a few things make me skeptical.
They say micromolar (uM) affinity. That is usually not good enough. 10 uM is about the cutoff of what you would want in a lead compound - something to be further improved by a medicinal chemist. I suspect they were above 10 uM because if you have low uM affinity you should definitely call it out.

They used a pseudo virus but do not say which. They do not tell you which cell line or cell type they used for their disease model. This info should have gone in the abstract. It would not have taken more than a few characters.

Basically the quality of the abstract makes me doubt the quality of the research.

Also please keep in mind that this is a pseudo virus in a cell model. The graveyard of drugs is filled with filled with compounds that looked good in disease models, but did not work. Generally, the further away you are from a live virus in a live human, the less predictive the model.

-----------------

Yup. uM activity is crap. We’d discard anything that wasn’t in the nM range. And even then try and optimize.
You’d never get those kinds of concentrations in a human (well not never, but you’d be gulping down grams of the stuff if your Vd was good, tens of grams if it wasnt).

-------------------------------

In vitro, not in vivo, so its relevance to humans still has to be determined.

Can’t access the article, but a few things make me skeptical.
They say micromolar (uM) affinity. That is usually not good enough. 10 uM is about the cutoff of what you would want in a lead compound - something to be further improved by a medicinal chemist. I suspect they were above 10 uM because if you have low uM affinity you should definitely call it out.

They used a pseudo virus but do not say which. They do not tell you which cell line or cell type they used for their disease model. This info should have gone in the abstract. It would not have taken more than a few characters.

Basically the quality of the abstract makes me doubt the quality of the research.

Also please keep in mind that this is a pseudo virus in a cell model. The graveyard of drugs is filled with filled with compounds that looked good in disease models, but did not work. Generally, the further away you are from a live virus in a live human, the less predictive the model.

-----------------

Yup. uM activity is crap. We’d discard anything that wasn’t in the nM range. And even then try and optimize.
You’d never get those kinds of concentrations in a human (well not never, but you’d be gulping down grams of the stuff if your Vd was good, tens of grams if it wasnt).

-------------------------------

In vitro, not in vivo, so its relevance to humans still has to be determined.

I still believe that single malt scotch is a better antiviral than what people give it credit for. I drink it and haven't gotten Covid yet...

Of course I r had three shots of Moderna too...but I still think that the scotch has done the most good.

Kief-o-Vax! Keep Covid away. On Sale now.

Of course you need a continual dose thought each day.....So stock up!

There's no reason to effeminize the gonads with cannabis when there are multiple alternatives that stop the commie virus in vitro. Ivermectin physically attaches to it.

WeedCantDo.jpg

611qd0.jpg

So far it seems to be working for my unvaxxed ass. I will do my part and continue my experiment for the good of humanity.
You're welcome.

Forum List

Back