Can you teach a man how to cook?

I can only imagine about ketchup..

I met a woman when I was working in treatment, whose family were southern tobacco farmers....she said she NEVER bought cheap cigarettes because the tobacco that went into them came from the bottom of the sheds, where everybody walked and spit, and the dogs pissed and everything else.

Ew.

I've only made souffle one time...and it was incredible, and I was amazed at how easy it was!

It was just a cheese souffle...had 3 types of really good cheese. Turned out perfect!

But if I made it again, who knows....it is sort of important to have a souffle dish for it, and I don't.

Classic Cheese Soufflé Recipe | MyRecipes.com

I'm not sure if that is the actual recipe I used, but if it isn't, it's very very close. The one I made was about 10 years ago, and I think it WAS sunset magazine that I pulled the recipe from...so yup, I think this is it:

Ingredients

1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, pepper jack, or Gruyère cheese (6 oz.)
6 large eggs, separated 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preparation

1. 1. Generously butter a 2-quart soufflé dish or six 1- to 1 1/4-cup soufflé dishes; if using small ones, set them about 2 inches apart in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan.
  2. 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbling. Stir in milk, cayenne, and salt, and continue stirring until sauce boils and thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. 3. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add egg yolks and stir until the mixture is blended and smooth.
  4. 4. In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat egg whites (use whisk attachment if available) with cream of tartar until short, stiff, moist peaks form. With a flexible spatula, fold a third of the cheese sauce into whites until well blended. Add remaining sauce and gently fold in just until blended.
  5. 5. Scrape the batter into the prepared soufflé dish (or dishes). If the dish is more than 3/4 full, use foil collar (see "Crowning Glory," below). If desired, draw a circle on the surface of the soufflé batter with the tip of a knife, about 1 inch in from rim, to help an attractive crown form during baking.
  6. 6. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until top is golden to deep brown and cracks look fairly dry, 25 to 30 minutes for large soufflé, 15 to 20 minutes for small ones. Serve immediately, scooping portions from single soufflé with a large spoon.
  7. Crowning glory
  8. Soufflés look most impressive when they rise dramatically over the rim of the dish. To create a beautiful crown on your soufflé, fill the dish about 3/4 full. If it's less full, the soufflé may not rise over the rim. If it's more full, the soufflé may spill over unless you wrap the dish with a foil collar. Here's how to make one.
  9. Cut a 15-inch-wide sheet of foil 4 inches longer than circumference of dish; fold lengthwise in thirds. Coat one side of the foil strip generously with melted butter, using a pastry brush. Wrap the foil around outside of dish so that at least 2 inches of foil extend above the rim. Fold the ends of the buttered foil strip over several times until snug against dish.
Sunset
MARCH 2003

Last edited:
I've only made souffle one time...and it was incredible, and I was amazed at how easy it was!

It was just a cheese souffle...had 3 types of really good cheese. Turned out perfect!

But if I made it again, who knows....it is sort of important to have a souffle dish for it, and I don't.

An angel food cake pan works nicely for souffles. There are a few things that have to be watched; don't put the meringue into a hot mixture, or it will cook and fall. Most souffles fail because the center doesn't cook enough - or because people over cook the edges in an attempt to get the center cooked. This is why the angel food cake pan is helpful. (though cheating.)

And not just any man. This man. God help you. :razz:

So, I'm living on my own and I no longer have Mom to make me a delicious meal. There's none of that magical ingredient of love thing going on here. One look at my modest cookware is enough to make my eyes glaze over in hungry despair.

I got some things. One of those nice, small silver saucepans from Wal-Mart (with a glass lid). You know, the kind with the nice handle that won't ever get loose. There's also a meat thermometer and a nice forged stainless steel knife from Chicago Cutlery. And that's it. Yeah, dicey.

People, I don't know how to cook.

I do have my roommate's trusty fry pan and some canola oil, which helps. By placing some chicken breasts in a fry pan with some canola oil, you can cook it just right. TECHNIQUE ALERT: You can also tip the pan a bit and with a spoon ladle some of the oil/juices over the chicken breasts to keep them from drying out. That stuff works nicely. I already feel like Bobby Flay.

EVOLUTION AT PLAY: I just created my own spice blend, too, and it's a nice contrast. Red pepper flakes, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, a teaspoon of 100% dark cocoa powder. As odd as it sounds, you should try it. It's a delicious balance and works perfectly with that ladling technique.

Some other ingredients I've got are dried black beans, pure canned pumpkin, pur brown rice, and amber-grade agave nectar.

Please guys, help this hungry newb. Or else he's gonna die, and that would, well, suck.

:redface:

I can help, I got out of a 5 year relationship about 10 months ago and she did all the cooking pretty much I just knew how to do the basic hamburgers, hot dogs etc now I know how to make a bunch of stuff.

first thing you need is a well stocked pantry....here is where everyone will disagree....

you need spices, a mixed pepper corns and grinder, get a good sea salt....not gourmet just good...
you need a few dried products...onions, tomatoes, mushrooms then they are always ready to go...

use your imagination and taste often...as with everything a kiss is involved...as in keep it simple stupid...

one of the easier dishes, put italian dressing and soy sauce together and bake a chicken breast in it in the oven...flip it half way....serve with pasta and you look like a prince...

here is another cheater recipe....but good and easy.....1 bar of cream cheese..room temp....1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 cup cold water, 1 pack instant pudding mix...i use sugar free....mix it together dish into individual dishes.. chill top with fresh fruit and a bit of chocolate sauce...

good food is simply, fresh ingredients made with love unless your married to blanche moore lol

I agree with Bones, a good rack of spices and your usual onions, garlic, tomatoes etc in the fridge are always good to have if you will be cooking regularly.

Enchiladas are easy!

Tomato sauce + chili powder = enchilada sauce

So put some enchilada sauce in the bottom of a square oven dish

Take your tortillas....flour or corn (but real enchiladas aren't made with flour tortillas...that's a gringo thing)
coat both sides with enchilada sauce, put a spoonfull of (cooked) meat, cheese, beans, whatever, roll it up and set it with the opening on the bottom....

It's kind of messy but just do it all in the pan, make sure you have enough sauce in there to keep it wet.

You can fill a pan with different types.

Pour a little more sauce over the top, keep it saucy there's nothing worse than dry enchiladas...corn tortillas will suck up a lot of the juice

Cover with grated cheese
cover with tin foil

Bake that puppy at 350 for about 40 minutes or until everything is hot and melted.

Serve with chili, refried beans, and/or mexican rice.

first thing you need is a well stocked pantry....here is where everyone will disagree....

you need spices, a mixed pepper corns and grinder, get a good sea salt....not gourmet just good...
you need a few dried products...onions, tomatoes, mushrooms then they are always ready to go...

use your imagination and taste often...as with everything a kiss is involved...as in keep it simple stupid...

one of the easier dishes, put italian dressing and soy sauce together and bake a chicken breast in it in the oven...flip it half way....serve with pasta and you look like a prince...

here is another cheater recipe....but good and easy.....1 bar of cream cheese..room temp....1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 cup cold water, 1 pack instant pudding mix...i use sugar free....mix it together dish into individual dishes.. chill top with fresh fruit and a bit of chocolate sauce...

good food is simply, fresh ingredients made with love unless your married to blanche moore lol

I agree with Bones, a good rack of spices and your usual onions, garlic, tomatoes etc in the fridge are always good to have if you will be cooking regularly.

Forget all that other stuff, a nice rack is good in and of itself!

This is the recipe I use for meatloaf it is the mushroom in the middle meatloaf I love it.

Mushroom in the Middle Meatloaf Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I've never tried it that way, but dang that does sound good. For a more earthy taste I could see chopping up a bunch of different *fresh* mushrooms and mixing them into the meat. One of the ideas I had when it comes to meatloaf is mizing in dred cranberries that'd add a nice sweetness to it. :razz:

Heck, I'm going to try that mushroom meatloaf the next chance I get. OR ASK MOM. :tongue:

So, I'm living on my own and I no longer have Mom to make me a delicious meal. There's none of that magical ingredient of love thing going on here. One look at my modest cookware is enough to make my eyes glaze over in hungry despair.

I got some things. One of those nice, small silver saucepans from Wal-Mart (with a glass lid). You know, the kind with the nice handle that won't ever get loose. There's also a meat thermometer and a nice forged stainless steel knife from Chicago Cutlery. And that's it. Yeah, dicey.

I do have my roommate's trusty fry pan and some canola oil, which helps. By placing some chicken breasts in a fry pan with some canola oil, you can cook it just right. TECHNIQUE ALERT: You can also tip the pan a bit and with a spoon ladle some of the oil/juices over the chicken breasts to keep them from drying out. That stuff works nicely. I already feel like Bobby Flay.

EVOLUTION AT PLAY: I just created my own spice blend, too, and it's a nice contrast. Red pepper flakes, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, a teaspoon of 100% dark cocoa powder. As odd as it sounds, you should try it. It's a delicious balance and works perfectly with that ladling technique.

Some other ingredients I've got are dried black beans, pure canned pumpkin, pur brown rice, and amber-grade agave nectar.

Please guys, help this hungry newb. Or else he's gonna die, and that would, well, suck.

Cooking is easy, anyone can learn. The first thing to understand is that, if you do the exact same thing every time you will always get the same result. This is the part people have the most trouble with, which is why they keep cooking the food until it burns.

I see the fire trucks rolling right now.....

:lol:

This is the recipe I use for meatloaf it is the mushroom in the middle meatloaf I love it.

Mushroom in the Middle Meatloaf Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I've never tried it that way, but dang that does sound good. For a more earthy taste I could see chopping up a bunch of different *fresh* mushrooms and mixing them into the meat. One of the ideas I had when it comes to meatloaf is mizing in dred cranberries that'd add a nice sweetness to it. :razz:

Heck, I'm going to try that mushroom meatloaf the next chance I get. OR ASK MOM. :tongue:

Its funny you say that, I do add mushrooms to this meatloaf when I do it, even if the recipe doesn't ask for it. This meatloaf is outstanding, I served it over white rice once and even than it was delish.

And beans are a great thing to know how to make, too...

if you can successfully make beans, you can make CHILI and homemade REFRIED BEANS and BEANS/RICE dishes...

There's no trick except
1. Always wash them and run them through your hands to check for rocks/clods of dirt. Beans are dirty.
2. Count on a cook time of 3 hours.

1 c beans
1-1/2 qts water
salt
bacon

You can put whatever you like in there...you use a lot of water because when you are cooking something for 3 hours, you lose most of the liquid.

You can use chicken or vegetable broth instead of straight water, but if you put bacon in, you don't have to.

You can also add carrots, onions and/or celery for a little umph.

I like garlic in beans.

I canned beans yesterday...they're ugly but they will make the kids extremely happy some evening in the future when I don't feel like cooking.

My kids are so weird, lol. They love beans. And my son is a pretty finicky eater, haha.

I hated beans when I was a kid. I'd just eat the broth (which is sort of what they do) and a lot of bread.

As a man you do not need to learn such mundane chores as cooking. God designed people and put them on earth for different purposes. Women have smaller hands that are well suited to cooking and washing dishes. Women also have smaller brains that allow them to do these rather mundane tasks day after day and not growed tired of such repetitive activity. So unless you wish to be a creative award winning chef in a five star restaurant, leave such a task to one who is suited doing it.

Next you are going to tell me that you want to learn how to leave the toilet seat down. God made women shorter so they have a shorter distance to reach down and raise the seat. All in God's design......

You need to cease the talk about cooking ingredients. Order a pizza. Is your phone broken?

You are either single or you have no survival instincts.

Forum List

Back