Can someone explain

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I thought about this a few days ago.

What changes an outer space vehicles direction and how?

• Banned
anti-gravity
So- a lack of gravity? Or, just against gravity?
I know they use "thrust"- I'm just wondering what they thrust against. Thrust propels using an/our atmosphere to push a mass someplace it wasn't. Right?

anti-gravity
So- a lack of gravity? Or, just against gravity?
I know they use "thrust"- I'm just wondering what they thrust against. Thrust propels using an/our atmosphere to push a mass someplace it wasn't. Right?

Have no idea!

Just my guess.

I could be completely wrong!

I have been wrong many times before....:)

but I'm guessing it is an anti-gravity drive/device

Gravity can be used by guidance near planets, etc. Thrust engines work against inertia.

• Banned
Newton's Third Law of Motion states:
Doesn't that apply just to gravitational forces?

If not can we stop debating the "blow back" and realize what we're doing in the ME is a direct reaction to the action taken in 1953?

I digress- sorry.

If a thruster device thrusts against nothing how can it work?
If on a straight trajectory and a course correction is necessary- or, as the movies have depicted, turning the ass end to the surface of wherever, how does that happen?
I don't understand. I'll admit to not being formally educated but I have a pretty good grasp on energy, energy conversion, aeronautical lift, heat transfer etc,. but, like I said this is just a question that came to mind the other night and I was hoping someone here could could provide a layman's answer.

Newton's Third Law of Motion states:
Doesn't that apply just to gravitational forces?

If not can we stop debating the "blow back" and realize what we're doing in the ME is a direct reaction to the action taken in 1953?

I digress- sorry.

If on a straight trajectory and a course correction is necessary- or, as the movies have depicted, turning the ass end to the surface of wherever, how does that happen?
I don't understand. I'll admit to not being formally educated but I have a pretty good grasp on energy, energy conversion, aeronautical lift, heat transfer etc,. but, like I said this is just a question that came to mind the other night and I was hoping someone here could could provide a layman's answer.
Sit on a skateboard and throw a baseball, you will travel some small distance in the opposite direction. Same thing will happen on the moon or in space. The thrusters are sending masses of hot gas out their nozzles, just like you throwing a baseball.

Thanks! I think- LOL that is a great example of "rocket science".

When I started this thread I was a bit concerned with the use of the term "outer space" but decided to keep it as simple as a simple mind can put it.
The link explains a lot and outer space, as we believe(d) it to be, is not really a void of nothing-
Each "system" still uses thrust, for lack of a better word. The space we call outer has different than what we're acquainted with in terms of atmosphere, or gravity. I was aware of the orbiting explanation it cited which relies of gravity, but I was wondering about the rest of it. And now I know! :beer:

Thrust engines
What do thrust against?
Essentially themselves. It's a physics thing. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This is why they call the fuel for thursters "reaction mass". The act of accelerating the reaction mass out of the thruster accelerates the spacecraft in the opposite direction.

reading prior to posting helps one not look a fool-

Spacecraft propulsion - Wikipedia

When I started this thread I was a bit concerned with the use of the term "outer space" but decided to keep it as simple as a simple mind can put it.
The link explains a lot and outer space, as we believe(d) it to be, is not really a void of nothing-
Each "system" still uses thrust, for lack of a better word. The space we call outer has different than what we're acquainted with in terms of atmosphere, or gravity. I was aware of the orbiting explanation it cited which relies of gravity, but I was wondering about the rest of it. And now I know!

Thrust engines
What do thrust against?
Essentially themselves. It's a physics thing. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This is why they call the fuel for thursters "reaction mass". The act of accelerating the reaction mass out of the thruster accelerates the spacecraft in the opposite direction.

reading prior to posting helps one not look a fool-

Spacecraft propulsion - Wikipedia

Each "system" still uses thrust, for lack of a better word. The space we call outer has different than what we're acquainted with in terms of atmosphere, or gravity. I was aware of the orbiting explanation it cited which relies of gravity, but I was wondering about the rest of it. And now I know!
How nice for you.

Keep in mind I'm not the one who asked the question, kid.

Keep in mind I'm not the one who asked the question, kid.
LOL- did I hurt your feelings, punk? Your lame reaction doesn't change a thing I said.
No, my feelings aren't hurt. I tried to help and you insulted me.

Fortunately I'm not the guy who asked the dumb-ass third grade science question.

You are.

Now you are dismissed, you can fuck off over there somewhere.

It is thrusting against itself. You have lit a bottle rocket before, right?

Ever seen firefighters hold a firehose at full blast? what forces are they experiencing?

Forum List

Back