California now has $2.4 billion surplus. Another liberal success

California has no surplus. What we have is a projected surplus. We have a projected surplus every year. Then we run a deficit.

For the past several years, California's liberal government accountants have announced glorious "balanced budgets" (which in fact are required by the state constitution)... only to have their predictions of high revenues and low spending blow up in their faces. Year after year.

This year, we have glorious predictions of the same high revenues and low spending, resulting in a balanced or surplus budgets.

Uh-huh.

Then only interesting thing about this thread, is that there appears to be one remaining leftist fanatic who still believes the same old failed predictions, despite years of grim evidence debunking them.

(yawn)

The GOP's power in the state was FINALLY scraped. And the good results are just starting.

Starting with union pension reform. Looks like it worked.

Jerry Brown Announces California Pension Reform: Why Public Unions Are Not Up in Arms About This Plan - PolicyMic

My post was about California, not Illinois. And writing 'my ass' next to a quote is a poor debate tactic. You lose.

Deluding yourself into believing that Californian Democrats can and will crawl out from under $340 billion in liabilities through "adjustments to revenue and benefits" is testament to your inability to comprehend state finances and your blind faith in Liberals.

Conservatives were predicting the Californian Democrats couldn't solve the budget deficit either not too long ago too.

Conservatives always make stupid predictions. We're still waiting for the massive inflation from QE2. And what ever happened to the cheering Iraqis predicted ten years ago?

Tell you what, why don't conservatives just shut the f___ up instead, and let liberals run things. California has proven what can be accomplished when conservative power is brought to an end.

You know what Velveeta? I'll give you California. But us conservatives see successful GOP governments in states like Texas and North Dakota, with millions of new jobs and massive private sector growth. As for California, that state is freaking ridiculous when it comes to pensions. I have an uncle(a staunch Democrat, by the way, I guess the Hoosier side of the family has a bit more sense than the California side) who works as a cop and collects a pension from an old job (after working just 20 years, straight out of community college) while working in a different town. And these salaries are at 100% of prior income. Incredible..... Those towns and municipalities are all going bankrupt, even if the state is doing OK.......but also remember that Governor Brown foisted lots of new responsibilities onto the local areas for jails, meaning they're going to face even more of a squeeze.

I'd much rather move to North Dakota than California, unless I wanted to be a government union worker.

My post was about California, not Illinois. And writing 'my ass' next to a quote is a poor debate tactic. You lose.

Deluding yourself into believing that Californian Democrats can and will crawl out from under $340 billion in liabilities through "adjustments to revenue and benefits" is testament to your inability to comprehend state finances and your blind faith in Liberals.

Conservatives were predicting the Californian Democrats couldn't solve the budget deficit either not too long ago too.

Conservatives always make stupid predictions. We're still waiting for the massive inflation from QE2. And what ever happened to the cheering Iraqis predicted ten years ago?

Tell you what, why don't conservatives just shut the f___ up instead, and let liberals run things. California has proven what can be accomplished when conservative power is brought to an end.

We prefer to keep our health insurance.

California's high taxes are driving the people that can afford the move to Texas!

Good news, California: Surplus is $2.4 billion - SFGate

Good news, California: Surplus is $2.4 billion
Melody Gutierrez
Updated 10:38 pm, Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sacramento --

For the first time in nearly a decade, California is collecting more revenue than it is spending and will finish the fiscal year with an extra $2.4 billion, according to a report released Wednesday by the Legislature's nonpartisan budget analyst.

The good news comes after an era that saw one of the worst budget crises in California history - the fiscal shortfall sank to $60 billion in the 2009-10 budget, the state controller mailed IOUs to vendors in 2009 and state lawmakers slashed programs year after year to make ends meet.

Now, thanks to the passage of Proposition 30 last year and the improving economy, California is looking at surpluses for the next six years - even after the temporary taxes under Prop. 30 expire, according to the Legislative Analyst's Office.
==================================================

They did not have a spending problem at any point. They had a "the GOP has power" problem. Once the voters finally culled the GOP from any real power in Sacramento, the Democrats got down to governing responsibly. They now have funds to spend on education for hispanics and blacks, and services for young women who want to obtain an abortion.

The rest of the country has a lot to learn from California.

Right....That's called 'creative accounting'...
Question...How in the world could California be immersed in 100's of billions in unfunded pension obligations and have a budget surplus?
BTW, if a government is running a surplus in revenues, that means the government should return that money to the taxpayers because they were taxed too much.

California is so broke we can't afford to feed prisoners. A federal judge has ordered the release of 225,000 state prisoners.

Here is where it gets good.

Kamala Harris, uber liberal attorney general has a plan. She will "rehome" prisoners with families in residential neighborhoods. Then they will give up their criminal ways, get a job and be criminals no more. The families will feed the prisoners taking a large burden off the state.

The only thing missing from the plan is how to force families in residential neighborhoods to agree to rehoming.

For the past several years, California's liberal government accountants have announced glorious "balanced budgets" (which in fact are required by the state constitution)... only to have their predictions of high revenues and low spending blow up in their faces. Year after year.

This year, we have glorious predictions of the same high revenues and low spending, resulting in a balanced or surplus budgets.

Uh-huh.

Then only interesting thing about this thread, is that there appears to be one remaining leftist fanatic who still believes the same old failed predictions, despite years of grim evidence debunking them.

(yawn)

The GOP's power in the state was FINALLY scraped. And the good results are just starting.

Giddy wishful thinking.
Your lib policies are so steeped in abject failure, your side has to create false narratives in the hopes that if the lies are repeated, people will begin to believe them.
If there really IS a surplus, where's the money?
Looks like the the CA state government owes a bunch of money to the taxpayers.
Cough it up or shut the fuck up.

And they are STILL correct.

California is so broke we can't afford to feed prisoners. A federal judge has ordered the release of 225,000 state prisoners.

Here is where it gets good.

Kamala Harris, uber liberal attorney general has a plan. She will "rehome" prisoners with families in residential neighborhoods. Then they will give up their criminal ways, get a job and be criminals no more. The families will feed the prisoners taking a large burden off the state.

The only thing missing from the plan is how to force families in residential neighborhoods to agree to rehoming.

I can already see the volunteers lining up!

TAX THE RICH THAT MAKES MORE THEN 1 million per year at 39% percent on capita gains and income.

It works...

The rich would like that. It would reduce their taxes. Calufornia already has several Millionaire taxes, which is why the rich keep leaving.

Much of the prcey California real estate is owned by foreigners who pay property tax and no income tax here. Malibu is the Russian Riviera. Beverly Hills is wealthy middle eastern.

Trade, rich Americans who pay taxes for richer foreigners who pay no taxes.

Jerry Brown Stands Atop California's Collapsing House Of Cards - Forbes

Read through this to see how balanced it really is(n't).

That they can stand up there with straight faces and call this a balanced budget is comedic.

When will cali pay off their debts?

The article says they "borrowed" a bunch of money from the federal government and have no intention of paying it back. I can only assume this means they have nothing in their "balanced" budget for this. So, guess who just bailed them out ? 10 billion.....a pittance.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back