California now has $2.4 billion surplus. Another liberal success

Even though California's richer residents face high tax rates, lower-income households are more likely to leave. From 2005 to 2011, California lost 158 people with household incomes under $20,000 for every 100 who arrived, and 165 for every 100 people with household incomes between $20,000 and $40,000. In contrast, just slightly more people with household incomes in the $100,000-$200,000 range left than came to California (103 out per 100 in), and California actually gained a hair more people in the $200,000+ range than it lost (99 out per 100 in). The rich aren't leaving California, but the poor and the middle class are.

The exodus from California is also closely tied to the housing market. Pre-2008 levels were quite high, and from 2009 onwards they lowered significantly. Net outward migration follows housing prices almost line for line. People leave California for Texas to live cheaply, not due to some over taxation or lack of jobs or anything.

Now that housing prices aren't depressed like they were in 2008-2011 we'll probably see outward migration pick up again, since the value of homes in California are raising faster then the US as a whole.

Good points. I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for'. That being said, even though it's expensive, I think California is one of the most desirable places in the world to live if you can afford it. There's the rub. Anyone who got themselves in over their head would probably jump at the chance to get out.

I love visiting the San Fran area, the wine country, the redwoods, the PCHighway, the warfs, the whole area is just a great place. Unfortunately, like most of our great spots to visit it's also over-run by a bunch of whacks and the prices are just insane to boot. Here I can get a fantastic house on fantastic acreage (water, trees, pastures), for about 1/4 the cost of what the same place would go for within an hour of San Fran. For example, there are similar spots to texas hill country in the hills east of silicon valley. But the prices, taxes etc. ... nutz.

Ok, so where is this Texas paradise that would attract Californians who weren't so desperate that they basically had to move?

I live in hill country an hour North of Austin. The trees in my pecan & hickory pasture on my creek bed are around 100 feet tall. Just west of Dallas are pine forests on clay similar to GA. We have Canyons... Texas isn't the treeless desert of the movies. Though it does exist on a portion of the state if that interests you.

This is hill country:
TexasHillCountry.jpg

Texas-hill-country-blue_thumb.jpg

abest.jpg

Texas_Hill_Country_2_by_daelly.jpg

Quite pretty. I imagine it's still quite hot and humid most of the time though isn't it?

I did not see anything like that near the Dallas area.
Nice!
Yes....There is not anything quite like Texas heat and humidity during summer...
Get the giant spatula.

Ok, so where is this Texas paradise that would attract Californians who weren't so desperate that they basically had to move?

I live in hill country an hour North of Austin. The trees in my pecan & hickory pasture on my creek bed are around 100 feet tall. Just west of Dallas are pine forests on clay similar to GA. We have Canyons... Texas isn't the treeless desert of the movies. Though it does exist on a portion of the state if that interests you.

This is hill country:
TexasHillCountry.jpg

abest.jpg

Quite pretty. I imagine it's still quite hot and humid most of the time though isn't it?

I bet you imagine all sorts of things that aren't true.

This is hill country:
TexasHillCountry.jpg

abest.jpg

Nice!
Yes....There is not anything quite like Texas heat and humidity during summer...
Get the giant spatula.

There are places like that within an hour of downtown Dallas.

Nice!
Get the giant spatula.

I believe that..
I did not get to see much outside the Metroplex.

Those are the 4 of the biggest cities in Texas, and hardly represent the entire state. That would be like going to LA, San Francisco, and San Diego, and saying that all of California sucks because it is overcrowded.

Get the point?

This is hill country:
TexasHillCountry.jpg

abest.jpg

That's fabulous, Mr. Brown. Thanks for sharing! ;)

[ame=http://youtu.be/MOedpGKFObs]Bluebonnets [Texas State Flower] -HyVan - YouTube[/ame]

Nice!
Get the giant spatula.

I believe that..
I did not get to see much outside the Metroplex.

If you ignore the buildings in the background you can go down by the river and see something pretty similar.

Good news, California: Surplus is $2.4 billion - SFGate

Good news, California: Surplus is $2.4 billion
Melody Gutierrez
Updated 10:38 pm, Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sacramento --

For the first time in nearly a decade, California is collecting more revenue than it is spending and will finish the fiscal year with an extra $2.4 billion, according to a report released Wednesday by the Legislature's nonpartisan budget analyst.

The good news comes after an era that saw one of the worst budget crises in California history - the fiscal shortfall sank to $60 billion in the 2009-10 budget, the state controller mailed IOUs to vendors in 2009 and state lawmakers slashed programs year after year to make ends meet.

Now, thanks to the passage of Proposition 30 last year and the improving economy, California is looking at surpluses for the next six years - even after the temporary taxes under Prop. 30 expire, according to the Legislative Analyst's Office.
==================================================

They did not have a spending problem at any point. They had a "the GOP has power" problem. Once the voters finally culled the GOP from any real power in Sacramento, the Democrats got down to governing responsibly. They now have funds to spend on education for hispanics and blacks, and services for young women who want to obtain an abortion.

The rest of the country has a lot to learn from California.

Raise taxes and ignore pension/health care commitments and you can claim solvency but you are just bullshitting as is the progtard way.

Forum List

Back