CA To Ban School Suspensions

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
I think the CA government has gone of the rails and is becoming totally mental.

They have decided that when kids harass teachers they cannot be suspended from school. I really don't know why Democrats are acting this way other than they are trying to turn CA schools into a battleground.

California bill to ban schools from expelling disruptive students close to becoming law

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article234218847.html#storylink=cpy

A proposal meant to protect kids from unnecessary discipline by banning expulsions for disobedience in California schools passed out of the Assembly this week, moving closer to becoming a law.

The Assembly voted 58-17 for Senate Bill 419, which now moves back to the Senate for a vote on amendments before it goes to Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Under the amended SB 419, schools would be prohibited from suspending any student from kindergarten to eighth grade “who disrupts school activities or otherwise willfully defies the valid authority of supervisors, teachers, administrators, or school officials,” beginning July 1, 2020.

The bill also would prevent students of any grade from being expelled from school for the same reason.

The bill, if it becomes law, also would apply to charter schools, though that provision and the provision affecting sixth, seventh and eighth graders would sunset in 2025 unless it is extended.

A 2018 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office “found that black students, boys, and students with disabilities were disproportionately disciplined in K-12 schools. They found this was the case regardless of the type of disciplinary action, poverty at the school level, or type of public school the students attended,” according to an Assembly floor analysis of the bill.

The bill is sponsored by Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, and the Alliance for Boys and Men of Color. The alliance wrote that the bill “and the elimination of suspension for disruption/defiance will result in an overall reduction in suspensions and an increase in positive outcomes for students and the communities in which they live.”

The bill was opposed by the Charter Schools Development Center, which argued in a statement that “this bill is based on no credible evidence of an expulsion problem in California charter schools. To the contrary, charter schools often serve as a school of last resort of students who have been expelled from traditional schools and these pupils thrive in a charter school environment.”

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article234218847.html#storylink=cpy

They have decided that when kids harass teachers they cannot be suspended from school. I really don't know why Democrats are acting this way other than they are trying to turn CA schools into a battleground.

California bill to ban schools from expelling disruptive students close to becoming law

A proposal meant to protect kids from unnecessary discipline by banning expulsions for disobedience in California schools passed out of the Assembly this week, moving closer to becoming a law.

The Assembly voted 58-17 for Senate Bill 419, which now moves back to the Senate for a vote on amendments before it goes to Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Under the amended SB 419, schools would be prohibited from suspending any student from kindergarten to eighth grade “who disrupts school activities or otherwise willfully defies the valid authority of supervisors, teachers, administrators, or school officials,” beginning July 1, 2020.

The bill also would prevent students of any grade from being expelled from school for the same reason.

The bill, if it becomes law, also would apply to charter schools, though that provision and the provision affecting sixth, seventh and eighth graders would sunset in 2025 unless it is extended.

A 2018 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office “found that black students, boys, and students with disabilities were disproportionately disciplined in K-12 schools. They found this was the case regardless of the type of disciplinary action, poverty at the school level, or type of public school the students attended,” according to an Assembly floor analysis of the bill.

The bill is sponsored by Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, and the Alliance for Boys and Men of Color. The alliance wrote that the bill “and the elimination of suspension for disruption/defiance will result in an overall reduction in suspensions and an increase in positive outcomes for students and the communities in which they live.”

The bill was opposed by the Charter Schools Development Center, which argued in a statement that “this bill is based on no credible evidence of an expulsion problem in California charter schools. To the contrary, charter schools often serve as a school of last resort of students who have been expelled from traditional schools and these pupils thrive in a charter school environment.”

Suspending isn't the same as expelling.

This almost comes off as satire.

66130225_2369167843409963_2885890432871432192_n.jpg

Do you have a point?

:dunno:

If it feels good do it!!!!

Political correctness makes people fucking retarded

The bill is sponsored by Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, and the Alliance for Boys and Men of Color. The alliance wrote that the bill “and the elimination of suspension for disruption/defiance will result in an overall reduction in suspensions and an increase in positive outcomes for students and the communities in which they live.
How is making discipline more impossible to achieve a "positive" outcome?
There's a percentage of students who just don't want to be in school. And schools don't want to deal with them. But school districts get paid more for every butt they can put behind a desk.
So the ultimate answer would be a permanent form of detention which is no answer at all. California is sprinting towards hell.

Well, okay, but what kind of discipline DO they get for disrupting a classroom? A teacher has to be able to send a kid out of the room, at any rate, if he/she is preventing the rest of the class from learning.

I had to kick out a female student once who was loudly chatting with friends in my reading class and ignored my repeated requests to quiet down. This went on for about twenty minutes, with me giving her plenty of time to "pretend" to ignore me and then quiet down after a minute, saving her pride. But no, that wasn't her agenda. I finally told her she needed to leave because she was making it hard for the other students in the room to concentrate and it was not how our reading room ran. (It was an independent reading class, everyone reading and working on their own level of work. We conversed in very low voices if I needed to give directions or if a student had questions.) This mouthy student refused to leave the classroom, too. She was truly in a "in your face" mood that day. I called security to remove her, with her cussing and basically saying fuck you to me the whole time we waited. That was at Job Corps. Public schools don't usually have security officers, so I don't know what they do when a student gets like that. Call the principal, I guess.

It was one of the worst moments of my teaching career. What she was doing, in itself, was not a huge hairy deal, but her refusal to follow requests--especially when she refused to leave--was. She never came back to my class; I think she left. Or maybe she transferred to culinary arts.

Anyway, classroom teachers have got to have some way to get a classroom back from a disruptive student who refuses to follow the rules. Teachers can ignore some "rule breaking" like sleeping or note passing--these days I suppose it's texting on their phone--but when it affects the other students, teachers have to have some remedy.

Maybe California schools will go to "in school suspensions" which they used back when I was middle school. You sat in a cubicle with NO homework or ANYTHING to do for the entire school day. Just sat there. It was awful. Much worse than being home where you could do whatever you liked as soon as your parents left for work.

According to the write up, it sounds like both punishments are now going to be a thing of the past.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The bill is sponsored by Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, and the Alliance for Boys and Men of Color. The alliance wrote that the bill “and the elimination of suspension for disruption/defiance will result in an overall reduction in suspensions and an increase in positive outcomes for students and the communities in which they live.
How is making discipline more impossible to achieve a "positive" outcome?
There's a percentage of students who just don't want to be in school. And schools don't want to deal with them. But school districts get paid more for every butt they can put behind a desk.
So the ultimate answer would be a permanent form of detention which is no answer at all. California is sprinting towards hell.
By state law....every kid has to get an education. So if the kid doesn't want to learn he needs an ass-whipping. Some parents don't know how to raise kids. So if it takes a village, or a really serious adult, then so be it.

Let’s teach our kids to have no responsibility. Liberals are idiots.

The only reason why these kids disrupt the class? It is to be sent home. Their parents doesn't care if they children doesn't learns anything. Their parents just want their children to stay out of their way while they get high.

California Parents Could Get Jail Time if Kids Miss School | Colorlines

Parents of truant students, however, can face punitive consequences if they fail to compel their child(ren) to attend school. California is Tough on Public School Absences with Truancy Laws | Law Office of Vikas Bajaj, APC

th

Do you have a point?

:dunno:

Big difference between those two words and a suspension is a day to ten days usually where expelling is permanent unless reviewed and reversed.

Forum List

Back