Bush Admin. Worst Nightmare

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
It's tough when the chickens come home to roost. Maybe now we'll get some truth.

WASHINGTON -- Massachusetts lawmakers are set to launch a blizzard of investigations in the new Congress, probing issues such as wartime contracting, post-Katrina housing assistance, and the Bush administration's relationship with Cuba and other countries in Latin America.

In what could be closely watched proceedings, two members of the Massachusetts delegation -- representatives William D. Delahunt of Quincy and Martin T. Meehan of Lowell -- are planning joint committee hearings to examine the administration's Iraq war policies, particularly the reasons for the military's lagging efforts to train Iraqi troops. Delahunt is in line to become chairman of the House International Relations Committee's subcommittee on oversight and investigations, and Meehan will take over the same subcommittee on the House Armed Services Committee.

Armed with the power to force sworn testimony for the first time after 12 years in the minority in Congress, members of the state's all-Democratic congressional delegation are positioned to play major roles in investigating policies and actions that cut across the federal government and the business community.

More: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/12/23/probes_of_bush_policies_in_works/

Think about it?!?!?!?!?!?

Democracy in Action!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

It's tough when the chickens come home to roost. Maybe now we'll get some truth.

WASHINGTON -- Massachusetts lawmakers are set to launch a blizzard of investigations in the new Congress, probing issues such as wartime contracting, post-Katrina housing assistance, and the Bush administration's relationship with Cuba and other countries in Latin America.

In what could be closely watched proceedings, two members of the Massachusetts delegation -- representatives William D. Delahunt of Quincy and Martin T. Meehan of Lowell -- are planning joint committee hearings to examine the administration's Iraq war policies, particularly the reasons for the military's lagging efforts to train Iraqi troops. Delahunt is in line to become chairman of the House International Relations Committee's subcommittee on oversight and investigations, and Meehan will take over the same subcommittee on the House Armed Services Committee.

Armed with the power to force sworn testimony for the first time after 12 years in the minority in Congress, members of the state's all-Democratic congressional delegation are positioned to play major roles in investigating policies and actions that cut across the federal government and the business community.

More: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/12/23/probes_of_bush_policies_in_works/

Think about it?!?!?!?!?!?

Democracy in Action!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

What's to think about? Dems have learned nothing in the past ten years of being out of power, and WHY they were out of power. They're picking up where they left off and y'all will be wailing and gnashing your teetch when you get kicked out again for the same damned reason.

Psych posts:

Boy, them's some fightin words.

I mean, "Armed", "power", "force", "positioned", "major", "investigating", "cut", and "actions". One would think the Dem's were preparing to go to WAR.

What a bunch of pussies, carry on.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.:lol:

WASHINGTON -- Massachusetts lawmakers

Really too asinine to even think about, but the first two words in this paragraph tells it all. I don't mean to cut down the citizens of Ma. because most of the people I have met that is from there are some of the greatest people I know. But their lawmakers has their heads in a hole somewhere and couldn't find or even know the truth if it slapped them in the face.

What's to think about? Dems have learned nothing in the past ten years of being out of power, and WHY they were out of power. They're picking up where they left off and y'all will be wailing and gnashing your teetch when you get kicked out again for the same damned reason.

Oh now that is rich. It's called "oversight"...a responsibility the Republican controlled Congress has shamefully abdicated since Chimpy McPresident took office.

Oh now that is rich. It's called "oversight"...a responsibility the Republican controlled Congress has shamefully abdicated since Chimpy McPresident took office.

EXCUSE ME, you call the smell thats been coming from halls of Congress a caving in to the President?

The dust hadn't settled BEFORE congress started snipping, squealing, and undermining ALL, that President Bush was doing.

I do agree, that congress has been "shamefully lacking" in their responsibility to the American people, AND to their duty to support the President in a time of WAR.

If the Congress hadn't been controlled by the Republicans, we would all be learning how to worship Allah today.:eusa_whistle:

The liberal answer to everything. Let's start a committee to investigate the committee that investigates the committee that is trying to find out what veggie Bush eats on Wednesdays.

I completely agree with and support abdicating perpetuating the bureacracy with mindless investigations to the tune of billions of dollars. Congresspersons are so damned busy sitting on this damned oversight committee or that oversight committee they can't do the damned job they were elected to do.

Exactly which article of the Constitution authorizes Congressional oversight of the executive branch?

The Constitution grants Congress two and only two checks on the Executive branch: The2/3 supermajority overturn of the veto and impeachment.

EXCUSE ME, you call the smell thats been coming from halls of Congress a caving in to the President?

The dust hadn't settled BEFORE congress started snipping, squealing, and undermining ALL, that President Bush was doing.

I do agree, that congress has been "shamefully lacking" in their responsibility to the American people, AND to their duty to support the President in a time of WAR.

If the Congress hadn't been controlled by the Republicans, we would all be learning how to worship Allah today.:eusa_whistle:

Congress never declared war.

As for "...learning how to worship Allah...", that is simply so much hysterical babble.

The liberal answer to everything. Let's start a committee to investigate the committee that investigates the committee that is trying to find out what veggie Bush eats on Wednesdays.

I completely agree with and support abdicating perpetuating the bureacracy with mindless investigations to the tune of billions of dollars. Congresspersons are so damned busy sitting on this damned oversight committee or that oversight committee they can't do the damned job they were elected to do.

Well, hot damn, good post Gunny!

Telling it like it is.:clap2:

Exactly which article of the Constitution authorizes Congressional oversight of the executive branch?

The Constitution grants Congress two and only two checks on the Executive branch: The2/3 supermajority overturn of the veto and impeachment.

Let me offer you some information regarding the basis of Congressional oversight of the Executive branch.

<blockquote>What is the Basis for Congressional Oversight?

Congressional oversight is one of the most important responsibilities of the United States Congress. Congressional oversight refers to the review, monitoring, and supervision of federal agencies, programs and policy implementation, and it provides the legislative branch with an opportunity to inspect, examine, review and check the executive branch and its agencies. The authority of Congress to do oversight is derived from its implied powers in the U.S. Constitution, various laws, and House rules. In affirming Congress' oversight powers, the Supreme Court in McGrain v. Daugherty stated that "the power of inquiry – with process to enforce it – is an essential and appropriate auxiliary to the legislative function." In Watkins v. United States the Court described Congress' oversight power by stating that the "power of the Congress to conduct investigations is inherent in the legislative process. That power is broad." The Supreme Court also observed that "a legislative body cannot legislate wisely or effectively in the absence of information respecting the conditions which the legislation is intended to affect or change." The Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946 mandated that House and Senate committees exercise "continuous watchfulness" of the administration of laws and programs under their jurisdiction. The Legislative Reorganization Act of 1970 permitted House standing committees to "review and study, on a continuing basis, the application, administration and execution of laws" under its jurisdiction.

Why Does Congress Need to Do Oversight?

* Ensure executive compliance with legislative intent.
* Improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and economy of governmental operations.
* Evaluate program performance.
* Prevent executive encroachment on legislative prerogatives and powers.
* Investigate alleged instances of poor administration, arbitrary and capricious behavior, abuse, waste, dishonesty, and fraud.
* Assess an agency or official's ability to manage and carry out program objectives.
* Review and determine federal financial priorities.
* Ensure that executive policies reflect the public interest.
* Protect individual rights and liberties.
* Review agency rule-making processes.
* Acquire information useful in future policymaking. </blockquote>

As you can see, the oversight process is implicit, and is so regarded by the courts as an essential mechanism in ensuring that the separation of powers established by the Constitution remains on firm ground. In essence, the power to make laws grants the power to ensure that those laws are faithfully executed. This precedent was established in Britain's Parliament, and later in the colonies. This notion was not the least bit alien to the Founding Fathers.

You can find this information <a href=http://www.rules.house.gov/search.aspx>HERE</a>.

But don't let a few facts get in the way of your jingoistic prattling.

Hmmmmm.....now how much did the republicans waste just to get Clinton to admit a BLOW JOB??

If that's directed at me, I did not at the time, and still do not agree with the amount of time, effort and money that was spent deflecting the Whitewater Investigation of Hillary Clinton to Bill Clinton's marital infidelity.

However, the committee had already been established and was used for both purposes, at the direction of Attorney General Janet Reno, I might add, a Clinton appointee.

So, the Republicans didn't establish anything for the sole purpose of investigating Trailerpark Bill.

No Gunny, it's not. It's not about finding out "...what veggie Bush eats on Wednesdays...". It is, however about investigating war profiteering, torture, spun and/or fabricated intel, failed policy, troops inadequately supplied on the battle-field, unbid contracts, conflicts of interest, undermining the Constitution...I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point. So don't try to belittle the issue with the implication it's about nothing more than Chimpy's eating habits.

SO, let's let the subpoenas be issued. After all, if Chimpy and Co have nothing to worry about, no secrets to hide, they'll come clean without resorting to subpoenas. My money is on them going kicking and screaming all the way into the dock and pleading the 5th or, executive priviledge.

No Gunny, it's not. It's not about finding out "...what veggie Bush eats on Wednesdays...". It is, however about investigating war profiteering, torture, spun and/or fabricated intel, failed policy, troops inadequately supplied on the battle-field, unbid contracts, conflicts of interest, undermining the Constitution...I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point. So don't try to belittle the issue with the implication it's about nothing more than Chimpy's eating habits.

SO, let's let the subpoenas be issued. After all, if Chimpy and Co have nothing to worry about, no secrets to hide, they'll come clean without resorting to subpoenas. My money is on them going kicking and screaming all the way into the dock and pleading the 5th or, executive priviledge.

Oh boy, can't wait to see what a murderer like Kennedy, a KKK grand pooh ba like Byrd and a racist ignorant bufoon like Rangle doing the investigating of anyone else with the thoroughness they have used with each other. What a pathetic joke Bully and you fall for it everytime.

Oh boy, can't wait to see what a murderer like Kennedy, a KKK grand pooh ba like Byrd and a racist ignorant bufoon like Rangle doing the investigating of anyone else with the thoroughness they have used with each other. What a pathetic joke Bully and you fall for it everytime.

Kennedy was involved in a car crash leading to a fatality...So was Laura Bush.

Byrd saw the error of his ways and reformed. Trent Lott longs for the days of Jim Crow.

Charlie Rangle simply calls it as he sees it.

But more to the point, the ignorance of children can be understood and accepted. Willful ignorance, such as you and many others on the right exhibit, can neither be condoned nor accepted.

:rofl: I know...

Please don't tell me we're still bitching each other out over Katrina...I can't take any more of those whiny bawl-babies who think they're entitled to handouts from the Man!!! "Oh, Bush should have done this, Bush should have done that! Bush is a white supremacist!" News flash, people! Not even your great and mighty government can handle 175 MPH winds!!!!

Kennedy's real mistake was that he shouldn't have let his rich snob Martha's Vineyard family cover for him so he could stay in the Senate. Maybe it was murder, maybe not, who knows...but I'm of the opinion that ol' Teddy was banging that chick in the weeks prior to her death. :eusa_wall:

No doubt about it, he WAS "banging" that chick. That is what so many women and particularly desperate housewives find so attractive in good Democratic men. But, we don't get into all the lies and guilt trips that the otherwise un-included try to put on us.

Teddy was having an extra-marital affair. He got drunk, had a serious car wreck, got confused and didn't know what to do next. That's about all I know about it. Can you share your extraordinary knowledge about any of that with me? As far as his very good Democratic family that reside in Martha's vineyard is concerned, I think they did far less than others have done in similar or worse circumstances. Do we need to open up that can of worms to satisfy you?

Kennedy's real mistake was that he shouldn't have let his rich snob Martha's Vineyard family cover for him so he could stay in the Senate. Maybe it was murder, maybe not, who knows...but I'm of the opinion that ol' Teddy was banging that chick in the weeks prior to her death. :eusa_wall:

Psychoblues

Forum List

Back