Burning prisoners to death, a punishment sanctioned in Islam

And many Christians oppose gay marriage based on their religious views. At what point do we stop following the "Word of God"? Or do we just pick and choose based on our sensibilities?

The Western world doesn't have mentally ill religious terrorist in positions of power. Most if not all Western nations very clearly separate state from religion.

And no Muslim country that I know of burns people to death. Must I remind you, ISIS isn't a country? Many Muslim countries hang people. We were doing that less than 75 years ago. They aren't as far behind us as you would think.

ISIS is an Islamist terrorist organization that holds power over huge swaths of land, just like Taliban and Al Queda did in Afghanistan, and Hezbollah does by default in Lebanon. Hamas is an Islamic terrorist organization that actually governs the land. Iran is another, except it's shiite. They are all following what they believe is true Islam. Same islamic imperialistic supremacist shit, different geographical location.

We aren't that far removed from religious imperialism. If we were then the gay marriage debate wouldn't even exist.
A kinda' weak attempt at moral equivalency.

The gay rights debate is being addressed through the courts. Not many reports I've found of judges being beheaded in the public square by radical Episcopalians.

In 1779 sodomy was punishable by death. Thomas Jefferson actually proposed a law that would lower the sentence to castration as a more liberal alternative. Jefferson's proposal was rejected. Sodomy remained a felony in every state until 1969.

The difference is the Christians quoting the Bible don't have the power to cut off your arms, nor will they.

And many Christians oppose gay marriage based on their religious views. At what point do we stop following the "Word of God"? Or do we just pick and choose based on our sensibilities?

The Western world doesn't have mentally ill religious terrorist in positions of power. Most if not all Western nations very clearly separate state from religion.

And no Muslim country that I know of burns people to death. Must I remind you, ISIS isn't a country? Many Muslim countries hang people. We were doing that less than 75 years ago. They aren't as far behind us as you would think.

ISIS is an Islamist terrorist organization that holds power over huge swaths of land, just like Taliban and Al Queda did in Afghanistan, and Hezbollah does by default in Lebanon. Hamas is an Islamic terrorist organization that actually governs the land. Iran is another, except it's shiite. They are all following what they believe is true Islam. Same islamic imperialistic supremacist shit, different geographical location.

We aren't that far removed from religious imperialism. If we were then the gay marriage debate wouldn't even exist.

Let me know when we have priests running the country, invading other countries, and trying to convert the people into Christianty by fear, intimidation, and terror.

The gay rights debate is being addressed through the courts. Not many reports I've found of judges being beheaded in the public square by radical Episcopalians.

In 1779 sodomy was punishable by death. Thomas Jefferson actually proposed a law that would lower the sentence to castration as a more liberal alternative. Jefferson's proposal was rejected. Sodomy remained a felony in every state until 1969.

Seen anybody punished for sodomy? We should have a few million gays alone rounded up and put in jails.

Let me know when we have priests running the country, invading other countries, and trying to convert the people into Christianty by fear, intimidation, and terror.

That's what you're supposed to do. Don't blame Islam for actually following through with what their holy book tells them to do. Blame Christians for being fakes.

Seen anybody punished for sodomy? We should have a few million gays alone rounded up and put in jails.

Fortunately, we were founded as a secular nation. Let us elect a Michelle Bachmann. She may not sentence gays to death, but she sure would like to see them thrown into the equivalent of reeducation camps.

Roudy

Are you going to skip over all my posts about Christianity's horrific past, or are you going to pick and choose what to respond to, like you do with your holy book?

You naive, strange people who are continuously racking your small brains. looking for moral equivalence of reprehensible Islamic actions, are beyond normal comprehension.

All you are doing is trying to change the subject thereby helping these foul radical savages!

There is no logic whatsoever in your actions.

Instead of looking for excuses for this monstrous burning, why not concentrate on the present, which is the danger of radical Islam as has been proved without a doubt time and time again.

Stop making excuses by attempting to compare actions that are beyond any rational comparison.

Have the courage, decency and common sense to aknowledge these Islamic horrors for what they are instead of always being a willing donkey for radical Islam!

All you are demonstrating is that you seem to have hidden sympathy for all these horrible actions!

Shame on you!

That's what you're supposed to do. Don't blame Islam for actually following through with what their holy book tells them to do. Blame Christians for being fakes.

Actually it's the Jews and Christians that are following their faith, while the peaceful or "moderate" Muslims are the ones that are fakes.

Roudy

Are you going to skip over all my posts about Christianity's horrific past, or are you going to pick and choose what to respond to, like you do with your holy book?

Are we living in the past? No, Christianty has reformed, Islam is hasn't, and is incapable of it. Not all faiths are equal, or are able to even reform.

Fortunately, we were founded as a secular nation. Let us elect a Michelle Bachmann. She may not sentence gays to death, but she sure would like to see them thrown into the equivalent of reeducation camps.

Oh please, stop saying crazy things and come down to earth. Your party bias is driving you insane. You are comparing radical Islamists that behead and burn human aid workers to conservatives that do not agree with "gay marriage". There are many democrats that disagree as well, does that make them the same as ISIS?

You are off your rockers.

You naive, strange people who are continuously racking your small brains. looking for moral equivalence of reprehensible Islamic actions, are beyond normal comprehension.

All you are doing is trying to change the subject thereby helping these foul radical savages!

Instead of looking for excuses for this monstrous burning, why not concentrate on the present, which is the danger of radical Islam as has been proved without a doubt time and time again.

Stop making excuses by attempting to compare actions that are beyond any rational comparison.

Have the courage, decency and common sense to aknowledge these Islamic horrors for what they are instead of always being a willing donkey for radical Islam!

All you are demonstrating is that you seem to have hidden sympathy for all these horrible actions!

Shame on you!

Shame on you?

Shame on you.

Religious extremism sucks. Those that don't recognize it cry "moral equivalency".

African Christians are burning witches and excorsizing kids with acid. Sweet.

Fortunately for us, secularism won out. Worst thing is to mix religion into government. Muslim majority countries haven't gotten to that point yet.

Perhaps because their religion forbids the removal of Islam from gov't.

"Though we have our own fundamentalists, we find it incomprehensible that theological ideas still stir up messianic passions, leaving societies in ruin. We had assumed this was no longer possible, that human beings had learned to separate religious questions from political ones, that fanaticism was dead. We were wrong."

The Politics of God - NYTimes.com

Fortunately for us, secularism won out. Worst thing is to mix religion into government. Muslim majority countries haven't gotten to that point yet.

"Though we have our own fundamentalists, we find it incomprehensible that theological ideas still stir up messianic passions, leaving societies in ruin. We had assumed this was no longer possible, that human beings had learned to separate religious questions from political ones, that fanaticism was dead. We were wrong."

Nope.

Christianity existed the same for eons - with a political/religious idealogy that forcably converted non-believers and believed in expanding Christendom world wide. The king was also the head of the church and the church was involved in the political sphere. Thank goodness we got religion decisively out of government and despite the kicking screaming and constant political agitating it has stayed that way. Christianity has been domesticated but the baser instincts lie just below the surface. Islam still needs to be domesticated with 20th century enlightenment. It's a work in progress.

Nope.

Christianity existed the same for eons - with a political/religious idealogy that forcably converted non-believers and believed in expanding Christendom world wide. The king was also the head of the church and the church was involved in the political sphere. Thank goodness we got religion decisively out of government and despite the kicking screaming and constant political agitating it has stayed that way. Christianity has been domesticated but the baser instincts lie just below the surface. Islam still needs to be domesticated with 20th century enlightenment. It's a work in progress.

If you read the linked essay from Mark Lilla you may find yourself posting somewhat less ignorantly. Maybe. Your choice.

Shame on you!

Shame on you?

Shame on you.

Religious extremism sucks. Those that don't recognize it cry "moral equivalency".

African Christians are burning witches and excorsizing kids with acid. Sweet.

And there's still bride-burning going on in the Subcontinent.

Remember when the hair-on-fires tried to make that false association? That and the female genital mutilation thing. They didn't stick, so now they're on burning as execution -- a practice that dates back far far before Islam or any monotheistic religion --

The 18th century BC law code promulgated by Babylonian king Hammurabi specifies several crimes in which death by burning was thought appropriate. Looters of houses on fire could be cast into the flames, and priestesses who abandoned cloisters and began frequenting inns and taverns could be punished by being burnt alive. Furthermore, a man who began committing incest with his mother after the death of his father could be ordered by courts to be burned alive.[2]

That's 3800 years ago.

.. also found among Romans, Carthaginians, Celts, Lithuanians and Prussians -- and of course the European Inquisitions as well as burnings for non-religious (political) motives such as Joan of Arc and Hatuey who I mentioned earlier in this thread, and stuff like --

Crackdowns and the public burning of a couple of homosexuals might lead to local panic, and persons thus inclined fleeing from the place. The traveller William Lithgow witnessed such a dynamic when he visited Malta in 1616 :

The fifth day of my staying here, I saw a Spanish soldier and a Maltezen boy burnt in ashes, for the public profession of sodomy; and long before night, there were above an hundred bardassoes, whorish boys, that fled away to Sicily in a galliot, for fear of fire; but never one bugeron stirred, being few or none there free of it.[48]

-- as well as here in the Americas, both by indigenous natives and by colonists punishing slaves (Massachusetts and New York are known) which also happened in the West Indies and in Surinam...

Greek war of independence against the Turks (1820s), Japanese persecution of Christians and Inca persecution of sodomy... and as Coyote notes above, it goes on in Africa today.

This is a human failing. There's hardly a spot in the world that hasn't seen it.

More details, if you can stomach them including death by roasting, death by suffocation and death by pouring molten metal down the gullet.. here

well if one guy says it's okay, it doesn't matter how many disagree with him.

i mean, one guy! that's all you need to tell what a billion people believe!

Ironically, while our leftist brigade spins furiously in defense of Islam, Egypt's Prez el-Sisi exhorts Egyptian Imams to quit teaching and preaching the hate which fuels Islamism and the vicious barbarity that accompanies it.
"You imams are responsible before Allah. The entire world is waiting on you. The entire world is waiting for your word ... because the Islamic world is being torn, it is being destroyed, it is being lost. And it is being lost by our own hands...
It's inconceivable that the thinking that we hold most sacred should cause the entire Islamic world to be a source of anxiety, danger, killing and destruction for the rest of the world."
Egypt s President calls for a religious revolution - CNN.com

What a sick, perverted, barbaric religion Islam is:

Outrage in Mideast over IS killing of Jordan pilot - Yahoo News

However, Hussein Bin Mahmoud, an Islamic State-linked theologian, claimed that two of the Prophet Muhammad's revered successors ordered similar punishment for Arab renegades in the seventh century.

While acknowledging the prophet's saying that God alone punishes by fire, Bin Mahmoud cited a Quranic verse that requires Muslims to punish their enemies in kind. Since U.S.-led airstrikes "burn" Muslims, he argued, the IS group must burn those behind the raids.

Ironic you should mention this. I just posted this a couple of days ago:

Today, February 2nd, marks 503 years since the execution of Hatuey, a Taíno who became the first high-profile casualty in the American (native) resistance to European invasion.

Hatuey was from Hispaniola (the island now split between Haiti and the Dominican Republic), which was then called in the Taíno language Ayiti. In 1511, Spaniard Diego Velazquez set forth for the Cuban island of Caobana. Hatuey took four hundred warriors and went ahead to Caobana to warn the population.

Bartholome de las Casas recounts that he showed the Caobanans a basket of gold and jewels, explaining:
(Wiki) :
"Here is the God the Spaniards worship. For these they fight and kill; for these they persecute us and that is why we have to throw them into the sea... They tell us, these tyrants, that they adore a God of peace and equality, and yet they usurp our land and make us their slaves. They speak to us of an immortal soul and of their eternal rewards and punishments, and yet they rob our belongings, seduce our women, violate our daughters. Incapable of matching us in valor, these cowards cover themselves with iron that our weapons cannot break...[3]"

The people of Caobana did not believe Hatuey's message, and few joined him to fight. Hatuey resorted to guerrilla tactics against the Spaniards, and was able to confine them to their fort at Baracoa. Eventually the Spaniards succeeded in capturing him. On February 2, 1512,[2] he was tied to a stake and burned alive at Yara.[1]

Before he was burned, a priest asked him if he would accept Jesus and go to heaven. Las Casas recalled the reaction of the chief:

[Hatuey], thinking a little, asked the religious man if Spaniards went to heaven. The religious man answered yes... The chief then said without further thought that he did not want to go there but to hell so as not to be where they were and where he would not see such cruel people. This is the name and honor that God and our faith have earned.[4]
Hatuey Wiki

:salute:

Hey, they didn't make it up. They had centuries of Inquisition to copy. Except those were usually women.​

ISIS isn't following the Inquisition. They are following the instructions written in the Koran. How do you treat Arab Muslims who side with the infidels? You burn them to death.

Looks to me like it's following ancient barbaric terror practice. Burning to death is unknown in the contemporary Middle East. Where are you getting this reference to "instructions written in the Koran"? How come the Islamic world is condemning the act as "anti-Islamic"?

Last edited:
Ironically, while our leftist brigade spins furiously in defense of Islam, Egypt's Prez el-Sisi exhorts Egyptian Imams to quit teaching and preaching the hate which fuels Islamism and the vicious barbarity that accompanies it.
"You imams are responsible before Allah. The entire world is waiting on you. The entire world is waiting for your word ... because the Islamic world is being torn, it is being destroyed, it is being lost. And it is being lost by our own hands...
It's inconceivable that the thinking that we hold most sacred should cause the entire Islamic world to be a source of anxiety, danger, killing and destruction for the rest of the world."
Egypt s President calls for a religious revolution - CNN.com

I just want some kind of proof that it's got something to do with Islam. Got any?

Nope.

If you read the linked essay from Mark Lilla you may find yourself posting somewhat less ignorantly. Maybe. Your choice.

Touche. And thank you for challenging me. That was an EXCELLENT article - despite all our differences, thank you for bringing my attention to it :)

Forum List

Back