Brexit dividend - 160000 vacancies in social care, Here come the filipinos

I could travel,work and study anywhere in Europe because I had an EU passport..

Northern Ireland was at peace because we were in the EU.

Our economy was growing.

Doctors and nurses.

Polish dentists.

The right to protest.

The right to strike.

Free speech.

Clean rivers

Clean baches where you could take the kids.

Driving onto a ferry without queuing for hours.

Being a law abiding country

Access to EU funding for science.

Good relations with our neighbours.

Greater variety of goods in our shops.

Affordable food in our shops.

Viable farms

A fishing industry.

Food produced to the highest standard.

No border in the Irish sea or between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

No robocop style charter cities.

No crops dying unpicked in the fields.

A future for our kids.

No robocop style charter cities.

Your country must be more fucked-up than I ever imagined, if you think you need an oppressive foreign power ruling over you to make any of that possible.

Last edited:
Tommy Tainant

Come on Taffy, list your EU benefits?
Not Welsh, myself, but if I may...
"This paper reviews the evidence on the economic implications of the UK’s accession to the European Economic Community and subsequent EU membership. The benefits were much greater than the costs, probably by a ratio of about 6 to 1. The UK benefited from lower trade costs and higher volumes of trade with other member countries and this raised productivity. Different estimation methods point to permanent gains in the level of real GDP of 8.6 per cent after 10 or 15 years. The costs to the UK were a net contribution to the EU budget which averaged about 0.5 per cent of GDP per year and the adoption of regulations for which compliance costs exceeded benefits, estimated at about 0.9 per cent of GDP per year. Voters in favour of Brexit who were protesting about government policies gave little or no weight to its productivity implications."

From the Financial Times (hardly a left wing source):

"Many economists contend what matters most is not funds transferred between Brussels and London, or even claims of jobs created or destroyed. Instead, the central issue is how EU membership has changed the shape of the British economy — its competitiveness and openness to other markets — through the impact on thousands of companies such as Nifco. “Competition forced these guys to improve or exit,” said Professor Nick Bloom of Stanford University. “The single European market increased competition and forced British firms to increase the level of innovation.”

"Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe. By the late 1960s, France, West Germany and Italy — the three founder members closest in size to the UK — produced more per person than it did and the gap grew larger every year. Between 1958, when the EEC was set up, and Britain’s entry in 1973, gross domestic product per head rose 95 per cent in these three countries compared with only 50 per cent in Britain. After becoming an EEC member, Britain slowly began to catch up. Gross domestic product per person has grown faster than Italy, Germany and France in the more than 40 years since. By 2013, Britain became more prosperous than the average of the three other large European economies for the first time since 1965."

The list goes on, but that's enough for the moment. That was then, this is now; we're on the verge of economic collapse, far worse than our European neighbours.

As for the sovereignty "argument", well we never lost it.

Not Welsh, myself, but if I may...
"This paper reviews the evidence on the economic implications of the UK’s accession to the European Economic Community and subsequent EU membership. The benefits were much greater than the costs, probably by a ratio of about 6 to 1. The UK benefited from lower trade costs and higher volumes of trade with other member countries and this raised productivity. Different estimation methods point to permanent gains in the level of real GDP of 8.6 per cent after 10 or 15 years. The costs to the UK were a net contribution to the EU budget which averaged about 0.5 per cent of GDP per year and the adoption of regulations for which compliance costs exceeded benefits, estimated at about 0.9 per cent of GDP per year. Voters in favour of Brexit who were protesting about government policies gave little or no weight to its productivity implications."

From the Financial Times (hardly a left wing source):

"Many economists contend what matters most is not funds transferred between Brussels and London, or even claims of jobs created or destroyed. Instead, the central issue is how EU membership has changed the shape of the British economy — its competitiveness and openness to other markets — through the impact on thousands of companies such as Nifco. “Competition forced these guys to improve or exit,” said Professor Nick Bloom of Stanford University. “The single European market increased competition and forced British firms to increase the level of innovation.”

"Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe. By the late 1960s, France, West Germany and Italy — the three founder members closest in size to the UK — produced more per person than it did and the gap grew larger every year. Between 1958, when the EEC was set up, and Britain’s entry in 1973, gross domestic product per head rose 95 per cent in these three countries compared with only 50 per cent in Britain. After becoming an EEC member, Britain slowly began to catch up. Gross domestic product per person has grown faster than Italy, Germany and France in the more than 40 years since. By 2013, Britain became more prosperous than the average of the three other large European economies for the first time since 1965."

The list goes on, but that's enough for the moment. That was then, this is now; we're on the verge of economic collapse, far worse than our European neighbours.

As for the sovereignty "argument", well we never lost it.
I remember the UK before we joined the EU. It was fucking shit. Poor,rundown and decaying. There was a war in Northern Ireland as well. There may well be a war there soon due to brexit.

So, one of the benefits to being ruled over by an oppressive foreign power is that one of your country's own legitimate political parties will be suppressed?

You see that as a benefit? Seriously?, than
What oppressive foreign power? We were one of 27 member states and had far more influence over Europe inside the group that we have on the outside. Also which UK political parties were suppressed by the EU?

I remember the UK before we joined the EU. It was fucking shit. Poor,rundown and decaying. There was a war in Northern Ireland as well. There may well be a war there soon due to brexit.

Maybe it's time to admit that the UK is simply a shit country, because of its own nature.

If you think that what makes your country a shit country is the lack of foreign oppression, then it is clear that you, yourself, have a problem, separate from those of your country.

It's a shame that a few generations ago, my country sacrificed so many of our best men, to save your country from foreign oppression. We should have just let the Nazis and the Soviets have you. Perhaps you would have turned out better as a Country, under the rule of either of those powers, than you appear to have turned out under your own rule; and in any event, it would have saved a lot of good American men from dying for what turned out to be no benefit to us.

Forum List

Back