Breaking News from Genesis 1:9

Also worth noting:

The "suggested" claim in the thread title is actually just one hypothesis to explain the results of the study. In other words, the science to support this hypothesis (and to exclude others) has just begun.
Triggered.
Triggered ..how? The hypothesis may end up being strongly supported. Considering your egregious misrepresentation of the standing of this hypothesis in your OP, it was worth noting. Remember, this is the Science section, not the sky daddy section.
Science and Genesis are one in the same.
Which do you ignore when they disagree?

Can I help it if science backs up the Bible once again?
Science often backs up the Bible but what happens when it does not? Geologists consider it a settled matter that the Earth is billions of years old because that is what the evidence points to. Do you believe them or do you believe the Bible?

Before we get to the Bible, let's discuss the settled science. Is that from Bill Nye? Do you know how they determined Earth is 4.5 billion years old? Who was it? How did he do it? What does a waterworld do to it? Next, there was no life whatsoever 3.2 billion years ago. How do you explain the buried and underwater civilizations and marine fossils in the Himalayas and Mt. Everest? Moreover, how do you explain most of the fossil record are from marine animals. What about the fountains of the deep Bill Nye accidentally found and had no idea what it meant? What about the evolution timeline based on older layers on the bottom and younger layers on top? It doesn't mention any waterworld. Furthermore, we have the uniformitarianism theory that the present is the key to the past. This shows just what exactly?

ETA: Oops, I didn't answer your question. What happens when the science does not back up the Bible? Nothing. The Bible can't change. It remains the same. This was the case when scientists and people believed in an eternal universe for decades.

Last edited:
Which do you ignore when they disagree?

It's not a matter of which does one ignore. It's a matter of what the scientific method shows. This is what is the truth as one can demonstrate it.

In this case, I would think there are more questions for the evolutionary timeline. It wasn't based on a waterworld.

The world's oceans appear to have been frozen over just a short billion years ago ... a blink of the eye as it were ... why would God hide this from us? ...

The Bible does give number of years in Genesis ... when these were added up it came to 4,500 years ... I've not done the math myself so if you have and you come up with 4.5 billion years ... that's as good as any number I suppose ...

Keep in mind that in Roman Empire days, the largest digit was M = 1,000 ... I'm imagining some poor fella having carved four of these into hard ass granite thinking "that's close enough, just add a D and we're fine" ... human nature being as it is ...

Science often backs up the Bible but what happens when it does not? Geologists consider it a settled matter that the Earth is billions of years old because that is what the evidence points to. Do you believe them or do you believe the Bible?

Before we get to the Bible, let's discuss the settled science. Is that from Bill Nye? Do you know how they determined Earth is 4.5 billion years old? Who was it? How did he do it? What does a waterworld do to it? Next, there was no life whatsoever 3.2 billion years ago. How do you explain the buried and underwater civilizations and marine fossils in the Himalayas and Mt. Everest? Moreover, how do you explain most of the fossil record are from marine animals. What about the fountains of the deep Bill Nye accidentally found and had no idea what it meant? What about the evolution timeline based on older layers on the bottom and younger layers on top? It doesn't mention any waterworld. Furthermore, we have the uniformitarianism theory that the present is the key to the past. This shows just what exactly?

ETA: Oops, I didn't answer your question. What happens when the science does not back up the Bible? Nothing. The Bible can't change. It remains the same. This was the case when scientists and people believed in an eternal universe for decades.
Do you know how they determined Earth is 4.5 billion years old? - Settled science: radioisotope decay
Who was it? How did he do it? - I doubt it was a single scientist but more of a continuous development
What does a waterworld do to it? - Nothing that I can see
Next, there was no life whatsoever 3.2 billion years ago. - You know that how?
How do you explain the buried and underwater civilizations and marine fossils in the Himalayas and Mt. Everest? - Settled science: sea level rise and plate tectonics
Moreover, how do you explain most of the fossil record are from marine animals. - Settled science: fossils form when something gets buried, generally land is eroding and those sediments are being deposited in the sea
What about the fountains of the deep Bill Nye accidentally found and had no idea what it meant? - No clue what that is. Link?
What about the evolution timeline based on older layers on the bottom and younger layers on top? - Settled science. What is your problem with this?
It doesn't mention any waterworld. - Why do you think it should?
Furthermore, we have the uniformitarianism theory that the present is the key to the past. This shows just what exactly? - Settled science: we should believe our eyes.

The Bible can't change. It remains the same. - Untrue. The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented.

Last edited:
Floods happened and were seen as metaphysical thingies

You're still doing the narrow brained thinking. The new evidence is ocean water that covered the entire Earth based on the oxygen-18. The scientist said that it was analyzing the coffee grounds to see what kind of water flowed through it.
Many people today treat science like they treat the Bible, they pick and choose what to believe based on their preconceived ideas.

Not I. I go by the scientific evidence. It's interesting you reply to me and not Trader Harley nor the OP. It makes me wonder what are your preconceived ideas?

Aww triggered by reality

Do you know how they determined Earth is 4.5 billion years old? - Settled science: radioisotope decay
Who was it? How did he do it? - I doubt it was a single scientist but more of a continuous development
How do you explain the buried and underwater civilizations and marine fossils in the Himalayas and Mt. Everest? - Settled science: sea level rise and plate tectonics
Moreover, how do you explain most of the fossil record are from marine animals. - Settled science: fossils form when something gets buried, generally land is eroding and those sediments are being deposited in the sea
What about the fountains of the deep Bill Nye accidentally found and had no idea what it meant? - No clue what that is. Link?
What about the evolution timeline based on older layers on the bottom and younger layers on top? - Settled science. What is your problem with this?
Furthermore, we have the uniformitarianism theory that the present is the key to the past. This shows just what exactly? - Settled science: we should believe our eyes.

The Bible can't change. It remains the same. - Untrue. The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented.

>>Do you know how they determined Earth is 4.5 billion years old? - Settled science: radioisotope decay<<

How can it be settled if the creation scientist and I disagree? One would have to make assumptions on daughter to parent ratios. Furthermore, what I was getting at who was what the scientist and what did he measure? This was in 1956. He measured a meteorite. Why would he do that?

>>Who was it? How did he do it? - I doubt it was a single scientist but more of a continuous development<<

If you don't know, then it's better to say something like your answer. It was Clair Patterson and he used a meteorite. He also had to build a clean room to avoid contamination. Prior to this, the Earth was measured at 3 billion years old. Why wasn't that enough time for Darwin?

>>What does a waterworld do to it? - Nothing that I can see<<

What do the Antibibalists or evolutionists have in regards to time? Geologic timescale. Wouldn't they need something such as this to explain their science? I think what you will find is the Christians had their science first and then the Antibibalists/evos made up stuff to contradict it.

geologic_time_scale.jpg

Darwin's:

Years
ago
Event

130,000 Anatomically modern humans evolve. Seventy thousand years later, their descendents create cave paintings — early expressions of consciousness.
4 million In Africa, an early hominid, affectionately named "Lucy" by scientists, lives. The ice ages begin, and many large mammals go extinct.
65 million A massive asteroid hits the Yucatan Peninsula, and ammonites and non-avian dinosaurs go extinct. Birds and mammals are among the survivors.
130 million As the continents drift toward their present positions, the earliest flowers evolve, and dinosaurs dominate the landscape. In the sea, bony fish diversify.
225 million Dinosaurs and mammals evolve. Pangea has begun to break apart.
248 million Over 90% of marine life and 70% of terrestrial life go extinct during the Earth's largest mass extinction. Ammonites are among the survivors.
250 million The supercontinent called Pangea forms. Conifer-like forests, reptiles, and synapsids (the ancestors of mammals) are common.
360 million Four-limbed vertebrates move onto the land as seed plants and large forests appear. The Earth's oceans support vast reef systems.
420 million Land plants evolve, drastically changing Earth's landscape and creating new habitats.
450 million Arthropods move onto the land. Their descendants evolve into scorpions, spiders, mites, and millipedes.
500 million Fish-like vertebrates evolve. Invertebrates, such as trilobites, crinoids, brachiopids, and cephalopods, are common in the oceans.
555 million Multi-cellular marine organisms are common. The diverse assortment of life includes bizarre-looking animals like Wiwaxia.
3.5 billion Unicellular life evolves. Photosynthetic bacteria begin to release oxygen into the atmosphere.
3.8 billion Replicating molecules (the precursors of DNA) form.
4.6 billion The Earth forms and is bombarded by meteorites and comets.

Thus, Darwin needed more than 3 billion years to explain evolution. A waterworld 3.2 B yrs ago screws it up.

I'll stop here and we can continue our discussion. Can you answer why the Earth is 3/4 covered by ocean water?

Important events in the history of life

More questions in regards to waterworld.

What happened to the supercontinent that was broken up to seven continents (plate tectonics)?

Darwin's problem of geological timeline explained in detail - http://www.blc.arizona.edu/courses/schaffer/449/Soft Inhertance/Burchfield - Darwin and Geol. Time.pdf

I've read about Darwin's evolution. You can quibble about it.

The Bible can't change. It remains the same. - Untrue. The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented

>>Do you know how they determined Earth is 4.5 billion years old? - Settled science: radioisotope decay<<

How can it be settled if the creation scientist and I disagree? One would have to make assumptions on daughter to parent ratios. Furthermore, what I was getting at who was what the scientist and what did he measure? This was in 1956. He measured a meteorite. Why would he do that?

>>Who was it? How did he do it? - I doubt it was a single scientist but more of a continuous development<<

If you don't know, then it's better to say something like your answer. It was Clair Patterson and he used a meteorite. He also had to build a clean room to avoid contamination. Prior to this, the Earth was measured at 3 billion years old. Why wasn't that enough time for Darwin?

What do the Antibibalists or evolutionists have in regards to time? Geologic timescale. Wouldn't they need something such as this to explain their science? I think what you will find is the Christians had their science first and then the Antibibalists/evos made up stuff to contradict it.

geologic_time_scale.jpg

Darwin's:

Years
ago
Event

130,000 Anatomically modern humans evolve. Seventy thousand years later, their descendents create cave paintings — early expressions of consciousness.
4 million In Africa, an early hominid, affectionately named "Lucy" by scientists, lives. The ice ages begin, and many large mammals go extinct.
65 million A massive asteroid hits the Yucatan Peninsula, and ammonites and non-avian dinosaurs go extinct. Birds and mammals are among the survivors.
130 million As the continents drift toward their present positions, the earliest flowers evolve, and dinosaurs dominate the landscape. In the sea, bony fish diversify.
248 million Over 90% of marine life and 70% of terrestrial life go extinct during the Earth's largest mass extinction. Ammonites are among the survivors.
250 million The supercontinent called Pangea forms. Conifer-like forests, reptiles, and synapsids (the ancestors of mammals) are common.
360 million Four-limbed vertebrates move onto the land as seed plants and large forests appear. The Earth's oceans support vast reef systems.
420 million Land plants evolve, drastically changing Earth's landscape and creating new habitats.
450 million Arthropods move onto the land. Their descendants evolve into scorpions, spiders, mites, and millipedes.
500 million Fish-like vertebrates evolve. Invertebrates, such as trilobites, crinoids, brachiopids, and cephalopods, are common in the oceans.
555 million Multi-cellular marine organisms are common. The diverse assortment of life includes bizarre-looking animals like Wiwaxia.
3.5 billion Unicellular life evolves. Photosynthetic bacteria begin to release oxygen into the atmosphere.

Thus, Darwin needed more than 3 billion years to explain evolution. A waterworld 3.2 B yrs ago screws it up.

I'll stop here and we can continue our discussion. Can you answer why the Earth is 3/4 covered by ocean water?

What happened to the supercontinent that was broken up to seven continents (plate tectonics)?

Darwin's problem of geological timeline explained in detail - http://www.blc.arizona.edu/courses/schaffer/449/Soft Inhertance/Burchfield - Darwin and Geol. Time.pdf

The Bible can't change. It remains the same. - Untrue. The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented
"What happened to the supercontinent that was broken up to seven continents (plate tectonics)?" I don't follow you, you seem to have the correct answer.

"Darwin needed more than 3 billion years to explain evolution. A waterworld 3.2 B yrs ago screws it up." Darwin had only a vague notion of the age of the earth so you needn't be concern about him. Was the entire ocean frozen solid to the very bottom? Were there no thermal vents?

"Can you answer why the Earth is 3/4 covered by ocean water?" That's how much water there is?

geologic_time_scale.jpg

Darwin's:

Years
ago
Event

The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented

Whoever’s quote that is:
First question is why you need to make such an outlandish lie. We’ve got copies going back to the time of Christ and every copy is identical to what you’ll buy in Barnes and Noble.

Last edited:

geologic_time_scale.jpg

Darwin's:

Years
ago
Event

The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented

Whoever’s quote that is:
First question is why you need to make such an outlandish lie. We’ve got copies going back to the time of Christ and every copy is identical to what you’ll buy in Barnes and Noble.
I was the one who wrote "The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented" and I stand by that statement. I also know that we have have nothing in writing from the time of Christ. In fact, of the thousands of fragments of the Gospels we have from before the printing press, NONE of them are exactly the same. Most differences are scribe errors but some are intentional changes to the text.

geologic_time_scale.jpg

Darwin's:

Years
ago
Event

Whoever’s quote that is:
I was the one who wrote "The Bible has been changing since it's inception, it only stopped when the printing press was invented" and I stand by that statement. I also know that we have have nothing in writing from the time of Christ. In fact, of the thousands of fragments of the Gospels we have from before the printing press, NONE of them are exactly the same. Most differences are scribe errors but some are intentional changes to the text.
I find it consistent that those who don’t believe are always ignorant of the facts.

I’ve seen them with my own eyes.

2,000-year-old Dead Sea Scroll deciphered, revealing 2nd Temple power struggles

Everything in every copy found after is the same.

geologic_time_scale.jpg

Darwin's:

Years
ago
Event

Whoever’s quote that is:
And a little Bible trivia for you: Many scholars believed the book of Daniel was written after the events that it lists. Daniel was too accurate.

Then they found fragments of the book dating to before those events occurred.

Also worth noting:

The "suggested" claim in the thread title is actually just one hypothesis to explain the results of the study. In other words, the science to support this hypothesis (and to exclude others) has just begun.
Triggered.
Triggered ..how? The hypothesis may end up being strongly supported. Considering your egregious misrepresentation of the standing of this hypothesis in your OP, it was worth noting. Remember, this is the Science section, not the sky daddy section.
Lol..Now that’s a first..So explain how you reconcile the earth being 6000 years old according to Genesis with science?

Also worth noting:

Triggered.
Lol..Now that’s a first..So explain how you reconcile the earth being 6000 years old according to Genesis with science?
Do you believe time is constant?

Also worth noting:

Triggered.
That may be your best argument. Does the Bible indicate anywhere where time is relative?

Triggered.
That my be your best argument. Does the Bible indicate anywhere where time is relative?
Not that I know of. It’s not likely that has anything to do with our salvation.

That my be your best argument. Does the Bible indicate anywhere where time is relative?
I admit there are things in the world that defy explanation. I discount nothing.

I admit there are things in the world that defy explanation. I discount nothing.
Great start. Assume nothing and investigate all possibilities to draw your own conclusions. That’s how I got to where I’m at.

Forum List

Back