Brainstorm thread...modifying a cast iron pan for small air fryer.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Just recently discovered the air fryer.

Bought a small cast iron pan for $8... the handle is going to have to go to make it fit.

It's so small it likely could easily be removed with a spatula...but I'm thinking of drilling holes for a bail or leaving a stub of the handle with a slot cut into it.

Anyone have any clever ideas?

IMG_20221014_155341237~3.jpg

I'd cut off the handle and buy a cheap pair of channel locks to lift it out with.....Plus channel locks are always handy to have. I'd not mess with a bail.

I'm wondering how long it would take to get it evenly heated in a air fryer.

What is your intended purpose, cooking-wise, with it?

I'd cut off the handle and buy a cheap pair of channel locks to lift it out with.....Plus channel locks are always handy to have. I'd not mess with a bail.

You can always preheat it in the oven if thats an issue.

I don't think it would be a issue at all, it should heat evenly what with the air flow. I bet it would be the cat's ass for pan cornbread.

I'd still preheat the pan in the oven just like you do when making cornbread in the oven.
Grease that sucker down put it in the oven and get it nice and hot and pour in the batter.
Dammit now I want some sweet cornbread and some honey!

Cornbread, skillet bread and Dutch babies...

Last edited:
Just recently discovered the air fryer.

Bought a small cast iron pan for $8... the handle is going to have to go to make it fit.

It's so small it likely could easily be removed with a spatula...but I'm thinking of drilling holes for a bail or leaving a stub of the handle with a slot cut into it.

Anyone have any clever ideas?

View attachment 710117

Yeah.....................cut off the handle, and weld medium sized U bolts upside down where the dimples are on either side. Then, when you want to remove it, just use something like a screwdriver with a wooden handle that is longer than the pan is wide, slide it through the openings on the U bolts, and you can easily lift it out of the oven, even if it's full of whatever you cooked.

Yeah.....................cut off the handle, and weld medium sized U bolts upside down where the dimples are on either side. Then, when you want to remove it, just use something like a screwdriver with a wooden handle that is longer than the pan is wide, slide it through the openings on the U bolts, and you can easily lift it out of the oven, even if it's full of whatever you cooked.
LOL....Are you German?

OIP.6jhuqig-r19xJ4Uo7Qn9RgD8D3

LOL....Are you German?

OIP.6jhuqig-r19xJ4Uo7Qn9RgD8D3

My Grandmother was half German, half Scottish, and my Grandfather was full blood Norwegian, who also happened to be an expert mechanic and metal fabricator. He could fix any car, and could usually diagnose the problem simply by listening to it run for a minute or two, as well as build damn near anything you wanted out of metal. Lived with them after my Mom died when I was 8, and learned a LOT from both of them.

My Grandmother was half German, half Scottish, and my Grandfather was full blood Norwegian, who also happened to be an expert mechanic and metal fabricator. He could fix any car, and could usually diagnose the problem simply by listening to it run for a minute or two, as well as build damn near anything you wanted out of metal. Lived with them after my Mom died when I was 8, and learned a LOT from both of them.
I suspect most folks here would have to go out and buy a pr of the channel-locks I suggested, maybe not even have a hacksaw to remove the handle. I have a welder and would not go through all that for a handle-less skillet.

LOL....The mom & pop pizza place uses channel-locks for deep dish pizza pans.....just sayin. ;)

Last edited:
I actually just bought two new cast iron skillets myself. Haven't seasoned em yet, though. Need some bacon for the grease.

The air fryer I never really liked. Maybe mine's an el cheapo, I dunno. Seems like it's basically just an electric toaster oven that blows the heat around but still burns the food.

Good luck with it, though.

Last edited:
I actually just bought two new cast iron skillets myself. Haven't seasoned em yet, though. Need some bacon for the grease.

The air fryer I never really liked. Maybe mine's an el cheapo, I dunno. Seems like it's basically just an electric toaster oven that blows the heat around but still burns the food.

LOL....There's a learning curve.....If you are going to heat up a frozen personal pan pizza it will burn sliced pepperoni to a crisp but if you dice the pepperoni it does just fine.

Welding cast iron is ify if you dont use the proper wire and you have to know what you're doing.
While I know how most do not.

I got an el cheapo and love it.

Get one of those pork tenderloins from smithfield, cut it in half and throw it in there for 22 min @ 400°f.

Turn it over at 10 min.

Forum List

Back