Brain & mental disorder research

How I wish this country would treat mental illness like an illness instead of like a life choice

I used to think the stigma of mental illness would be gone. However, I have decided it will not happen in my lifetime. Even in my profession, the stigma attaches. Mine is the most UNglamorous job in nursing. Over the spectrum of nursing, the pay is less for those of us who work in psychiatry. If we didn't love the job we wouldn't stay in it. I have NP friends in dermatology who make a great deal more than I do. LOL. But I can't complain. I do pretty well.

It never really occurred to me that the way the profession looks down upon us in psychiatry was the stigma of mental illness attaching to the providers, but this article in Current Psychiatry articulates it very well. Even in the medical profession, MDs don't consider psychiatrists to be doctors, just we in psych nursing aren't considered to be 'real' nurses.

Invisible tattoos: The stigmata of psychiatry — Current Psychiatry Online

that could be because psychiatry is a pseudo -science funded by pharma companies

I do not get paid to convince you of the validity of my profession.

How I wish this country would treat mental illness like an illness instead of like a life choice

I used to think the stigma of mental illness would be gone. However, I have decided it will not happen in my lifetime. Even in my profession, the stigma attaches. Mine is the most UNglamorous job in nursing. Over the spectrum of nursing, the pay is less for those of us who work in psychiatry. If we didn't love the job we wouldn't stay in it. I have NP friends in dermatology who make a great deal more than I do. LOL. But I can't complain. I do pretty well.

It never really occurred to me that the way the profession looks down upon us in psychiatry was the stigma of mental illness attaching to the providers, but this article in Current Psychiatry articulates it very well. Even in the medical profession, MDs don't consider psychiatrists to be doctors, just we in psych nursing aren't considered to be 'real' nurses.

Too many Americans want it swept under the rug instead of dealt with.

Much of it has to do with the cost of treatment for mental illness.

Or they believe mental illnes is merely a construct created by 'pharma'............LOL

Case in point: eots

there you have it.

Part of the problem is that its a money game instead of a medical game

Or they believe mental illnes is merely a construct created by 'pharma'............LOL

I believe that pharma controls "research" and "treatment" because.. they do

I believe that pharma controls "research" and "treatment" because.. they do

Of course the NIH has nothing to do with research and treatment at all! You are entertaining. I'll give you that.

there you have it.

No different than any other illness. Otherwise, why would my medicine for a physical illness cost $20K/month

the difference is other illnesses and their treatments can be confirmed with diagnostic test and are not subjective observations

Its a big wide open "take our drugs' feast.

If we were serious about mental illness we would be doing more government ( un profit related) research

there you have it.

No different than any other illness. Otherwise, why would my medicine for a physical illness cost $20K/month

the difference is other illnesses and their treatments can be confirmed with diagnostic test and are not subjective observations

Here's a proposal for you. How about we start a boarding home for unmedicated schizophrenics next door to you! :lol:

the information is true and available through many forms of media...so instead of
using a strawman like youtube please state what issue yoiu have with the information

and btw... nurse

neu·ro·lep·tic (nr-lptk)

A tranquilizing drug, especially one used in treating mental disorders.

Noun 1. neuroleptic drug - tranquilizer used to treat psychotic conditions when a calming effect is desired
antipsychotic, antipsychotic agent, antipsychotic drug, major tranquilizer, major tranquilliser, major tranquillizer, neuroleptic, neuroleptic agent

Last edited:
I do not have schizophrenia I have recurring major depression, delusional paranoia and paranoid personality disorder.

I know for a FACT medication helps. I also know it can be hard to find the right medication.

Medication works.

I do not have schizophrenia I have recurring major depression, delusional paranoia and paranoid personality disorder.

I know for a FACT medication helps. I also know it can be hard to find the right medication.

Medication works.

that does not mean it is organic in nature or that it works for everyone or that there are not other therapies that could help someone with these conditions that have less or no negative side effects

Medication works.

that does not mean it is organic in nature or that it works for everyone or that there are not other therapies that could help someone with these conditions that have less or no negative side effects

It does mean that medication is not a fake, nor a lie nor a placebo. I spent 10 YEARS doing other things as well as taking different meds. You do not help the situation by pretending medication does not work.

Does psychiatry over prescribe? Yes it does. And that should be addressed. But your ignorant rant about meds does not address reality. They work. And for a hell of a lot of people they are the ONLY thing that works well enough to let them lead semi regular lives.

There is a plethora of evidence to substantiate the fact that meds work and are needed.

Medication works.

It does mean that medication is not a fake, nor a lie nor a placebo. I spent 10 YEARS doing other things as well as taking different meds. You do not help the situation by pretending medication does not work.

Does psychiatry over prescribe? Yes it does. And that should be addressed. But your ignorant rant about meds does not address reality. They work. And for a hell of a lot of people they are the ONLY thing that works well enough to let them lead semi regular lives.

There is a plethora of evidence to substantiate the fact that meds work and are needed.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'over prescribe.' Perhaps you could clarify that. If you mean keeping a patient sitting against the wall drooling, then yes, that is over prescribing as that is completely unnecessary with modern antipsychotics.

The meds do work. And many lives have been saved because of them. The bottom line with an illness like schizophrenia is that the meds do not 'cure' it. The person can remain stable over the long term with medications, and I have seen and facilitated that for several years.

As to there being 'tests' I think it noteworthy to mention that while Florence Nightingale believed with every fiber of her body that 'cleanliness' was therapeutic and facilitated health, she did not believe in Germ Theory. And Germ Theory was not born out until there were microscopes.

But link between caffeine and depression remains unclear...
:confused:
Study: Female Coffee Drinkers Are Less Depressed
September 30, 2011 - Women who drink coffee may have a lower risk of depression, according to a study from the Harvard School of Public Health.
Several recent studies have looked at a possible link between coffee and suicide, and found that coffee drinkers were less likely to kill themselves. Depression can contribute to suicide, so a logical question might be, does coffee lower the risk of depression? In this new study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, researchers used data from an ongoing project called the "Nurses' Health Study." Women in the study periodically answer questionnaires about their health and lifestyle. Some 50,000 nurses who reported their coffee consumption and depression status were included in this study. Researchers found that women who drank more coffee were less likely to be diagnosed with depression. However, the association is not necessarily a cause-and-effect relationship.

"This study can not prove that caffeine reduces the risk of depression," says Michel Lucas, of the Harvard School of Public Health, "but only suggests the possibility of such protective effect." The lower risk of depression was not observed in people who drink decaffeinated coffee. Also, nurses in the study who reported drinking tea and other beverages with caffeine didn't show a significant change in their risk of depression, possibly because of the much lower levels of caffeine in those drinks. Lucas say the study cannot answer whether coffee possibly helps protect against depression, but he says caffeine does have biochemical effects that might explain why coffee-drinkers – or, more accurately, caffeine-users – are less likely to be depressed. "We cannot assume causality in this study. It suggests some possibilities. As we know, caffeine is a well-known psycho-stimulant, which increases also a sensation of well-being and energy."

Lucas says caffeine is also associated with regulation of dopamine and serotonin, chemical neurotransmitters linked to mood and depression. Future research may prove whether there is a cause-and-effect relationship between coffee-drinking and a lower risk of depression. But for now, the Lucas says, "If you're worrying about your drinking cups of coffee, then I think this study is a little bit reassuring for people that like coffee." Michel Lucas of the Harvard School of Public Health and his colleagues published their study on the link between coffee consumption and depression in the journal, Archives of Internal Medicine.

Source

I'm not sure what you mean by 'over prescribe.' Perhaps you could clarify that. If you mean keeping a patient sitting against the wall drooling, then yes, that is over prescribing as that is completely unnecessary with modern antipsychotics.

The meds do work. And many lives have been saved because of them. The bottom line with an illness like schizophrenia is that the meds do not 'cure' it. The person can remain stable over the long term with medications, and I have seen and facilitated that for several years.

As to there being 'tests' I think it noteworthy to mention that while Florence Nightingale believed with every fiber of her body that 'cleanliness' was therapeutic and facilitated health, she did not believe in Germ Theory. And Germ Theory was not born out until there were microscopes.

these drugs have killed many people and caused premature death and life long movement disorders in many others

Forum List

Back