Blount Co. (TN) Commission To Ask God Not To Murder Them Over SSM

File under: oy, veh... merde....unglaublich..... wow...... uhm....

So, coming up on Monday:

http://www.blounttn.org/comm/agenda/AG151006.PDF

"Resolution condemning judicial tyranny and petitioning God’s mercy. (Resolution No. 15-10-006) (Karen Miller)"

TN County to Hear Resolution Asking "God to Spare His Upcoming Wrath on Them"

Here's the good stuff:

"RESOLUTION No. 15-10-006

RESOLUTION CONDEMNING JUDICIAL TYRANNY AND PETITIONING GOD’S MERCY

Whereas, the Governor, Attorney General, and ALL WE Blount County Legislators have sworn an oath consistent with the moral Law of God (“So Help Me God”) to uphold the Constitution of Tennessee and the Constitution of the United States; and

Whereas, the fulfillment of this oath, in the American tradition, may not be read to contradict the written Constitution, Justice, Reason and higher Natural Law; and

Whereas, not all orders claiming authority under color of law are lawful; and

Whereas, unlawful orders, no matter their source – whether from a military commander, a federal judge, or the United States Supreme Court – are and remain unlawful, and should be resisted; and

Whereas, the American system of federalism envisions a political stance of resistance by States and their office holders against lawless federal court orders; and

Whereas, modernly, federal judges have once again usurped powers not delegated to them, and have violated Reason, the Rule of Law and Natural Law by purporting to strike down State laws and acts of the People recognizing and protecting Natural Marriage; and

Whereas, the United States Supreme Court is not the sole and final arbiter of the powers of the States under the Ninth and Tenth Amendments, when it acts in an area outside of its jurisdiction; and

Whereas, the federal Judiciary was created by the Founders to have “neither Force nor Will, but merely judgment; and must ultimately depend upon the aid of the executive arm” and the States, for the carrying out of its judgments, and it is high time that the Court be so reminded; and

Whereas, we are forced beyond our wishes to comply with what is clearly against our conscience, and violates what the Bill of Rights, both State and Federal, give us the Right to do…

With a firm reliance upon the providence of Almighty God WE the BLOUNT COUNTY LEGISLATURE call upon all of the Officers of the State of Tennessee, the Governor, the Attorney General, and the members of the Tennessee Legislature, to join US, and utilize all authority within their power to protect Natural Marriage, from lawless court opinions, AND THE financial schemes of the enemies of righteousness wherever the source AND defend the Moral Standards of Tennessee.

WE adopt this Resolution before God that He pass us by in His Coming Wrath and not destroy our County as He did Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighboring cities. As the Passover Lamb was a means of salvation to the ancient Children of Israel, so we stand upon the safety of the Lamb of God to save us.

WE adopt this Resolution begging His favor in light of the fact that we have been forced to comply and recognize that the State of Tennessee, like so many other God-fearing States, MAY have fallen prey to a lawless judiciary in legalizing what God and the Bible expressly forbids."

Uhm, ok.....

This is what publicly elected officials are doing in Blount County, Tennessee.

:popcorn:

So, where is Blount County, TN?

Blount County, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a small border county to North Carolina:

800px-Map_of_Tennessee_highlighting_Blount_County.svg.png

95% White, 2% black. STRONG Tea Party presence

A little bit of the presidential electoral history of Blount County, TN, going back 80 years:

2012: Romney 71.98%, Obama 26.27%, Romney +45.91%
2008: McCain 68.88%, Obama 29.53%, McCain +39.34%
2004: Bush 43 68.24%, Kerry 30.89%, Bush 43 +37.35%
2000: Bush 43 62.15%, Gore 36.12%, Bush 43 +26.03%
1996: Dole 52.29%, Clinton 39.77%, Perot 6.92%, Dole +12.52%
1992: Bush 41 48.91%, Clinton 38.92%, Perot 11.87%, Bush 41 +9.99%
1988: Bush 41 67.26%, Dukakis 32.25%, Bush 41 +30.01%
1984: Reagan 68.74%, Mondale 30.77%, Reagan +37.97%
1980: Reagan 63.81%, Carter 33.44%, Anderson 2.20%, Reagan +30.37%
1976: Ford 52.79%, Carter 46.10%, Ford +6.69%
1972: Nixon 73.85%, McGovern 24.36%, Nixon +49.49%
1968: Nixon 57.10%, Humphrey 23.17%, Wallace 19.73%, Nixon +33.92%
1964: Goldwater 58.40%, Johnson 41.60%, Goldwater +16.80%
1960: Nixon 68.20%, Kennedy 31.27%, Nixon +36.93%
1956: Eisenhower 70.90%, Stevenson 28.41%, Eisenhower +42.49%
1952: Eisenhower 69.22%, Stevenson 30.53%, Eisenhower +38.69%
1948: Dewey 64.47%, Truman 32.91%, Thurmond 2.24%, Dewey +31.55%
1944: Dewey 68.30%, FDR 31.28%, Dewey +37.02%
1940: Willkie 55.85%, FDR 43.56%, Willkie +12.29%
1936: Landon 57.22%, FDR 42.45%, Landon +14.77%
1932: Hoover 67.29%, FDR 31.13%, Hoover +36.16%

Yepp, in our lifetime, the lifetime of our parents and likely, the lifetime of our grandparents, for 21 presidential elections in a row, this county has
not gone for a Democratic Presidential candidate, it has always gone easily for the Republican. That is how unbelievably RED this small county, which accounted for exactly 2.00% of the popular vote in Tennessee in 2012, is. And Romney's +45.91% margin win here in 2012 is the 80-year 2nd place record holder, after Nixon 1972.

Democrat Lyndon Baines Johnson won nationally with
61.04% of the NPV in 1964, the topline record for our Republic. He still lost this county to Republican Goldwater by almost 17 points. FDR never won this county. Al Gore, who is from Tennessee, lost this county by 26 points to Bush 43 in 2000. The only Democrat to really come close in this county was Southern Baptist Jimmy Carter, in 1976, but even a deeply religious Southern Democrat from a border state was not enough for this county, nosiree.

This county is one of the very few counties in the USA to have not switched sides at all in 80 years, quite possibly longer.

That is how unbelievably Conservative this small county is.

So, I'm not surprised that they might also be deeply religious and perhaps intolerant of others.

Sounds like bat-shit crazy to me.

I think so, too.

Having lived in Hickman County I can attest to the fact that people are fiercely and I mean fiercely people of faith in certain counties.

But without mocking them. You really do have to understand that they are people who aren't trying to be mean or horrible. It's just a matter of their faith.

But what kind of faith are they practicing?

Jesus commanded everyone to obey the government.....regardless of whether the government is right or wrong, a Christian obeys. That doesn't mean that any of them have to tolerate homosexuality or participate in it, unless they have a job that caters to the public, like Kim Davis' job, then you have to do what is required, but it doesn't make you a participant. I think many Christians are befuddled about what is expected of them....or maybe they are succumbing to the political pressure put on them by leaders that obviously don't know Christianity either.

So what is your contention? The people cannot vote leaders in that make a petition to God? How is it that they violated you this time?

Do you understand that we have separation of church and state for a reason? The mere attempt to include religion into a political process is against the laws established by the Constitution.
So you think by making a prayer as a public leader is a church?

I don't think so but you can push that agenda if you like. I do think it may backfire on itself very hard though.

So what is your contention? The people cannot vote leaders in that make a petition to God? How is it that they violated you this time?

Do you understand that we have separation of church and state for a reason? The mere attempt to include religion into a political process is against the laws established by the Constitution.

I don't think so but you can push that agenda if you like. I do think it may backfire on itself very hard though.

No, the Supreme Court has already made exceptions for that and allows prayer in certain circumstances, while I personally disagree, I readily accept the decision.

RODISHI SAID:

“And so. It was their faith that established the original government.”

Incorrect.

Our Constitutional Republic is established on the rule of law, not religion; indeed, the intent of the First Amendment was to safeguard citizens from the propensity of the people and those in power to use religion as a political weapon against political opponents, or those perceived to be a 'threat,' or those perceived to be 'different' who must be compelled to conform to subjective, errant religious dogma.

RODISHI SAID:

“Those are elected positions so it looks like they are already in charge at the peoples request.”

Where both the people and their elected officials are subject to the Constitution, its case law, and the rule of law; and the people may not seek to 'ignore' or 'nullify' laws both just and Constitutional.

RODISHI SAID:

“So what is your contention? The people cannot vote leaders in that make a petition to God? How is it that they violated you this time?”

It's not a 'contention,' it's a settled and accepted fact of Constitutional law: that citizens may not seek to conjoin church and state in violation of the Establishment Clause. They're at liberty to 'make a petition to “god”' in the context of public policy and governance provided such a petition conforms with First Amendment jurisprudence, and does not seek to disadvantage a class of persons predicated solely on who they are, such as same-sex couples.

RODISHI SAID:

“And so. It was their faith that established the original government.”

Incorrect.

Our Constitutional Republic is established on the rule of law, not religion; indeed, the intent of the First Amendment was to safeguard citizens from the propensity of the people and those in power to use religion as a political weapon against political opponents, or those perceived to be a 'threat,' or those perceived to be 'different' who must be compelled to conform to subjective, errant religious dogma.

RODISHI SAID:

“Those are elected positions so it looks like they are already in charge at the peoples request.”

Where both the people and their elected officials are subject to the Constitution, its case law, and the rule of law; and the people may not seek to 'ignore' or 'nullify' laws both just and Constitutional.

RODISHI SAID:

“So what is your contention? The people cannot vote leaders in that make a petition to God? How is it that they violated you this time?”

It's not a 'contention,' it's a settled and accepted fact of Constitutional law: that citizens may not seek to conjoin church and state in violation of the Establishment Clause. They're at liberty to 'make a petition to “god”' in the context of public policy and governance provided such a petition conforms with First Amendment jurisprudence, and does not seek to disadvantage a class of persons predicated solely on who they are, such as same-sex couples.
You have belief and faith mixed up. Then again you have already posted enough most Believers already understand that.

I'm not so much troubled by the fact that they include a request to God in their agenda, my concern is the subject of their request. For Christians, God is supposed to be in control of everything that is going on in the world.....I'm sure that God is aware that they (the Board of Commissioners) do not tolerate ssm......but for the entire board of commissioners of a county to think that God is going to punish their county over a law that was passed by the "government" is bat-shit crazy.

Having lived in Hickman County I can attest to the fact that people are fiercely and I mean fiercely people of faith in certain counties.

But without mocking them. You really do have to understand that they are people who aren't trying to be mean or horrible. It's just a matter of their faith.

Jesus commanded everyone to obey the government.....regardless of whether the government is right or wrong, a Christian obeys. That doesn't mean that any of them have to tolerate homosexuality or participate in it, unless they have a job that caters to the public, like Kim Davis' job, then you have to do what is required, but it doesn't make you a participant. I think many Christians are befuddled about what is expected of them....or maybe they are succumbing to the political pressure put on them by leaders that obviously don't know Christianity either.

I understand the Word very well and embrace it. But I've also been worldly. But we are dealing with individuals in my humble opinion here who are only simple.

Boy how do I put this nicely. MMMMMMMMMMMM. I'm really sick so I'm not on my game here. These are really really simple folks. And except for a few this has nothing to do with meaness. Or being cruel. Or wanting deny some body else their rights.

As a born again this is a spiritual struggle. I've known and worked with the sweetest souls from the LGBT community in my days in the entertainment industry. So many far sweeter than those who profess their so called faith.

But Mertex we are not dealing with people like us and I don't want to try to make us come off as superior. Let's just say our intellect is different than theirs. Boy I hope that makes sense.

If one can try to understand that these people just have faith a very simple faith please don't condemn them. And somehow I have my faith that we really will all work it out.

I understand the Word very well and embrace it. But I've also been worldly. But we are dealing with individuals in my humble opinion here who are only simple.

Boy how do I put this nicely. MMMMMMMMMMMM. I'm really sick so I'm not on my game here. These are really really simple folks. And except for a few this has nothing to do with meaness. Or being cruel. Or wanting deny some body else their rights.

As a born again this is a spiritual struggle. I've known and worked with the sweetest souls from the LGBT community in my days in the entertainment industry. So many far sweeter than those who profess their so called faith.

But Mertex we are not dealing with people like us and I don't want to try to make us come off as superior. Let's just say our intellect is different than theirs. Boy I hope that makes sense.

I see what you are saying. It is sad, though, that so many people have gotten confused about their responsibility as being a Christian. Back in Jesus' day, the Pharisees imposed additions to the laws that the Christians were already following as Jews till it became unbearable for the believers. Jesus came to free believers of all that bondage, and yet so many Christians today want to be under bondage and take it upon themselves to own the sins of others.

Uhm, interesting.

How is your intellect different than "theirs"?

I see what you are saying. It is sad, though, that so many people have gotten confused about their responsibility as being a Christian. Back in Jesus' day, the Pharisees imposed additions to the laws that the Christians were already following as Jews till it became unbearable for the believers. Jesus came to free believers of all that bondage, and yet so many Christians today want to be under bondage and take it upon themselves to own the sins of others.
Jesus came to free the people from the bondage death of living in their own sin. He at no time said keep on sinning.

Jesus came to free the people from the bondage death of living in their own sin. He at no time said keep on sinning.

Excuse me for perhaps being a bit trite. But to keep on sinning is the whole reason for Jesus is it not?

Excuse me for perhaps being a bit trite. But to keep on sinning is the whole reason for Jesus is it not?
And contrite you are. No its not.

I'm not so much troubled by the fact that they include a request to God in their agenda, my concern is the subject of their request. For Christians, God is supposed to be in control of everything that is going on in the world.....I'm sure that God is aware that they (the Board of Commissioners) do not tolerate ssm......but for the entire board of commissioners of a county to think that God is going to punish their county over a law that was passed by the "government" is bat-shit crazy.
What's ridiculous is the notion that for elected officials to obey the Constitution and the Supreme Court somehow means they're 'violating' their 'god's' law – when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

That they might perceive this to be the case does not 'validate' their perception; where it's incumbent upon elected officials to at least have a rudimentary understanding of the Constitution, the law, and public policy and governance to indeed govern in a responsible manner consistent with the rule of law.

Which leads us to one of two conclusions:

These elected officials are woefully ignorant of rudimentary principles of the Constitution, the law, and public policy and governance (perhaps willfully); or,

These elected officials are fully aware of the law, that rulings of Federal courts are perfectly just and Constitutional, and that obeying the Constitution and Supreme Court in no way 'violates' their religious liberty or tenets of their faith – that they are in fact pursuing these 'petitions' in bad faith in an effort to realize some perceived political advantage.

Phew it made some sense. Yay. I've been so sick and on the mighty Q I'm thinking maybe I should just stick to a snow shovelling forum.

I think too and I think this is important Mertex. I have read the Word so many times. Both OT and NT and I'm telling you the shit in the OT will set your hair on fire :lol: But most Christians haven't read the Bible.

They are only getting it from the nice man during a Sunday sermon. A man who is just another human talking about three versus for their flock. Boy I hope this makes sense.

Basically what I am saying is we are dealing with spiritual illiterates. Trying not to be harsh here but still laying it on the line.

What's ridiculous is the notion that for elected officials to obey the Constitution and the Supreme Court somehow means they're 'violating' their 'god's' law – when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

That they might perceive this to be the case does not 'validate' their perception; where it's incumbent upon elected officials to at least have a rudimentary understanding of the Constitution, the law, and public policy and governance to indeed govern in a responsible manner consistent with the rule of law.

Which leads us to one of two conclusions:

These elected officials are woefully ignorant of rudimentary principles of the Constitution, the law, and public policy and governance (perhaps willfully); or,

These elected officials are fully aware of the law, that rulings of Federal courts are perfectly just and Constitutional, and that obeying the Constitution and Supreme Court in no way 'violates' their religious liberty or tenets of their faith – that they are in fact pursuing these 'petitions' in bad faith in an effort to realize some perceived political advantage.

I want to make it clear that this does not mean that the entire council supports this. One person has formulated it and it will be discussed on Monday.

The Pilgrims were some of the most intolerant people ever to occupy the shores of America. In fact, they routinely exiled people from the colony for violating the rules of their faith, when such exile meant almost certain death, living outside the colony, at the mercy of native-Americans.
And so. It was their faith that established the original government.

Nobody said everyone from Tenn. is an idiot or a hick. And....there are lots of highly intelligent people who have a belief in a god. It's not an indication that one is stupid......it is an indication that one can be indoctrinated from an early age.

If that's your thing.....have at it. But let's not try to be in charge. That requires reason.
Those are elected positions so it looks like they are already in charge at the peoples request.
No, not at all. We have built our government to have boundaries, Every single one of us is free to practice our own religion, you can practice what you believe and I can do the same. Neither allows infringement upon the laws that bind us together. The people in Tennessee seek to usurp that if I read it correctly and that is patently wrong.

They will violate the 1st Amendment with what is stated in the OP. It is an unambiguous government endorsement of religion which has been unconstitutional since the BoR was ratified.

Their beliefs and intentions are their own but as duly elected officials who swore an oath to uphold the US Constitution what they intend to do will be a violation and a de facto admission that they are unfit to hold office if they pass this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back