Blacks have equal rights but fail to take advantage of what America has to offer (Take 2)

White person, personal history.

Born in the projects (Pittsburgh). Intact family. Went to Catholic schools. Went into the Army to pay for college. Went to college, which was financed by GI Bill, personal savings, employer contributions, small government grant, small government loan. Went to law school, financed by TWO incomes, employer help, remainder of GI Bill, no problem.

Got zero inheritance. My father lived in my home for the last ten years of his life. He was brought up in an orphanage because HIS father abandoned his family when my father was 7.

NONE OF WHAT I GOT was got because I was "white." Any Black person could have done the same. Once educated, employers would be beating down his/her door, provided education was legitimate (no "Ethnic Studies" bullshit).

I had more than a dozen employers in my working life (public and private sector) and EVERY ONE OF THEM would have welcomed a Black applicant with open arms, if he had the same credentials that I did. But they were rare. The ones who seemed to be qualified mostly washed out because they couldn't perform. Some did, but most did not perform up to minimal standards.

Where do I go for my helping of White Privilege? At 72, I didn't get mine yet.

IM2 never seems to respond when I point out that MILLIONS of Blacks are doing fine, despite his reports of all Blacks being held back by white racism. I wonder why that is.

Born in the projects (Pittsburgh). Intact family. Went to Catholic schools. Went into the Army to pay for college. Went to college, which was financed by GI Bill, personal savings, employer contributions, small government grant, small government loan. Went to law school, financed by TWO incomes, employer help, remainder of GI Bill, no problem.

Got zero inheritance. My father lived in my home for the last ten years of his life. He was brought up in an orphanage because HIS father abandoned his family when my father was 7.

NONE OF WHAT I GOT was got because I was "white." Any Black person could have done the same. Once educated, employers would be beating down his/her door, provided education was legitimate (no "Ethnic Studies" bullshit).

I had more than a dozen employers in my working life (public and private sector) and EVERY ONE OF THEM would have welcomed a Black applicant with open arms, if he had the same credentials that I did. But they were rare. The ones who seemed to be qualified mostly washed out because they couldn't perform. Some did, but most did not perform up to minimal standards.

IM2 never seems to respond when I point out that MILLIONS of Blacks are doing fine, despite his reports of all Blacks being held back by white racism. I wonder why that is.
he has never said ALL blacks are being held back....

Um, here's the thing... While I don't subscribe to IM's "everything is a white supremacist conspiracy" POV, there is discrimination out there. Some of it is very subtle.

Part of the human condition is that we will tend to favor people who remind us of ourselves, or our idealized selves. So, yes, all things being equal, an employer is more likely to hire a white person if the employer is white himself. Not because they are a raving bigot, but because on a subconscious level, you are going with a comfort zone.

I've gotten jobs because the person making the hiring decision was a fellow veteran. I've got one job because the person making the hiring decision was a fellow Star Trek fan. Another job I got because an Asian-American woman who I mentored early in her career campaigned to get me hired. There are also factors that have worked against me. Because of my age, I make it a point to dye my hair when I am job hunting. I also know being a larger person, there is still discrimination on weight. There are a lot of factors that go into hiring that have nothing to do with "qualifications", such as who hired the best resume writer, or who is better looking. And yes, race can be one of those factors, which in principle, why I support affirmative action.

The downside of it is when HR people just get lazy, hire someone who is utterly useless to fill a quota, and the whole team has to suffer that person. But the same can be said of the boss's nephew who got the job, and no one wants to criticize him, either.

Last edited:
Because it's kind of true for people of ALL races, not just blacks.

I have as much success as I want, really. I'm never going to be as rich as Michael Jordan or Oprah Winfrey or for that matter, Barack Obama.
Easy there Joe, next you will be saying crazy stuff like "ALL LIVES MATTER". Whooo boy talk about poking the bear. :omg:

He or she doesn't have to say it because ALL blacks are shouting it from the treetops. You can lead them to education, marriage, or legitimate relationships but you can't make them drink it.
oh everyone are?.....you dont know many blacks do you?....

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Because white racism is not just about material wealth, the racism successful blacks have to endure should not be, and I know that the statistics do not support your claim.

Blacks are 13 percent of the population but have 2.7 percent of the wealth.

This is why I don't respond to your opinions.

So it's ok to hire a person because they have black skin but wrong if they have white skin? SMH

Whites are already advantaged in hiring, so that's not an issue.

Since you didn't respond to the rest of post #8 or didn't understand it because of your learning disability, there's not much more to say.

Because white racism is not just about material wealth, the racism successful blacks have to endure should not be, and I know that the statistics do not support your claim.

Blacks are 13 percent of the population but have 2.7 percent of the wealth.

This is why I don't respond to your opinions.

Dude, 80% of the population only has 13% of the wealth... The bottom 60% controls less than 5% of the wealth.

And then they’ll deny that the proper response to racism is racism. Smfh.

No, the proper response is to take in a multitude of factors in the hiring process. (Let's just limit this to hiring for the moment).

I have a lot of advantages when I apply for a job.

I'm white, and most of the people who would be hiring me would also be white.
I'm male, and like it or not, males have an advantage at hiring time.
I have a college degree
I'm a veteran.

So, yeah, I'm sure that these factors have gotten me full time jobs.

I also know of at least one occasion where I was passed over for a position for a less qualified black female because someone was trying to fill a quota. And then I had to work with her incompetent ass for a year.

He or she doesn't have to say it because ALL blacks are shouting it from the treetops. You can lead them to education, marriage, or legitimate relationships but you can't make them drink it.
BS. We don't need to be lead to anything.

"Even after completing undergraduate and graduate degrees, black and Hispanic workers earned less than non-Hispanic white workers with the same, or often less, education."
- Roy Eduardo Kokoyachuk, ThinkNow Research

Kokoyachuck found that blacks and Hispanics with college degrees were paid less than whites and Asians with comparable education. His study showed that blacks and Hispanics who graduated in S.T.E.M majors earned less than whites and Asians with degrees in those same majors. "Even when Blacks and Hispanics go the extra mile and earn professional degrees, their incomes still don’t break six figures. Whites and Asians, however, double their incomes by earning professional degrees, allowing them to make well over $100,000 a year."

Because it is a true statement?
No, it really isn't. And a group of people thinking they can define lives they don't live and situations they do face based on things THEY get is arrogant. Until you live as a black person facing the racism whites such as yourself dishes out, you have no right to make such a comment.

Forum List

Back