"Black" Names

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

"Christian" names?

I have no problem with Malik or Trayvon. But when a set of parents deliberately names their son "Plaxico" I do have to question what the fuck they were thinking.
You really might want to examine the range of white peoples names before talking.

I have to admit. White names are not very original
Like "RIGHTWINGER?" ... :lol:

That's not original at all, seeing as you're a leftist joker.

My parents named me Rightwinger after my maternal Grandfather......Rightwinger McGee
He was a left handed pitcher for the Chicago Whitesox in the late 1920s

promoted-media-optimized_5769e65da2dc8.jpg

Rightwinger McGee

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

"Christian" names?

I have no problem with Malik or Trayvon. But when a set of parents deliberately names their son "Plaxico" I do have to question what the fuck they were thinking.
You really might want to examine the range of white peoples names before talking.

My parents named me Rightwinger after my maternal Grandfather......Rightwinger McGee
He was a left handed pitcher for the Chicago Whitesox in the 1920s

Fun fact: Lefty Frizzell was righthanded.

upload_2019-11-23_13-38-48.jpeg

"Christian" names?

He was a left handed pitcher for the Chicago Whitesox in the late 1920s

promoted-media-optimized_5769e65da2dc8.jpg

Rightwinger McGee
That would be cool if you had any proof it was true.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.
Sorry, no. The root of the problem is how blacks behave in school. Every business knows when they get a resume from Shaquille, youre going to get an uneducated and disruptive and undisciplined worker.

It's up to the black community to change that perception. Threats won't work. Just raise the next generation better than the last.

I'm black. That means I know what the problem is. You're white and want to deny any negative effects of white racism. If perception and behavior was the problem, blacks who are in management would not hire anyone white. If perception was the deal, the same thing. But it's not. And look at what you have said. You confirm my comment- the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites.

I was at the checkout line at a grocery store and the black girl bagging my stuff had a name tag on that said, "Zentyne".

Out of curiousity I asked about her name?

She told me that her Mother admired Zen buddhism and really liked Dentyne gum. So she combined the two and named her Zentyne. .. :lol: :lol:
I’ve seen a negro She-boon with a name tag that said “La Treen”. So...

I was at the checkout line at a grocery store and the black girl bagging my stuff had a name tag on that said, "Zentyne".

She told me that her Mother admired Zen buddhism and really liked Dentyne gum. So she combined the two and named her Zentyne. .. :lol: :lol:

Wait ... you've seen a what?

Yeah... Vocabulary... It matters...

That it does.

Care to essplain yours?

That it does.

Care to essplain yours?
I like literature..?

"Christian" names?

The least original names are Muslim names.
The second least original are Hispanic names.

I admired Bruce Lee and Fruitstripe gum......so my kids gonna be named Bruce Leefruitstripe. Sounds Jewish.

I admired Bruce Lee and Fruitstripe gum......so my kids gonna be named Bruce Leefruitstripe. Sounds Jewish.

No no, you need a religion.

How bout merging Hi Ho crackers with Baha'i? Baha'i Ho.

Japanese religion and a car --- ShintoPinto.

Methodist with Tinactin --- Methodactin

I say there is Methodist to your madness.

I say there is Methodist to your madness.

You could combine the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster with Cheerios and get Flying Spaghetti - Os...

"Christian" names?

The least original names are Muslim names.
The second least original are Hispanic names.

Korean last names
All Park or Kim

Forum List

Back