Burger King SA drops the “ham” part of “hamburger” on its menu in order to be respectful to Muslims

"Nations of Ham. The Bible directly refers to Egypt as the Land of Ham. The word Ham is believed to come from the word Khawm which means “black, hot, and burnt” in Hebrew and chamam, also a Hebrew word for “to be hot”. Ham is the youngest of Noah’s three sons along with Japheth and Shem."

Nations of Ham - Amazing Bible Timeline with World History

That's funny. I like my hamburgers black, hot, and burnt. But I don't like Burger King. Give me Culver's or Whataburger any day.

"Nations of Ham. The Bible directly refers to Egypt as the Land of Ham. The word Ham is believed to come from the word Khawm which means “black, hot, and burnt” in Hebrew and chamam, also a Hebrew word for “to be hot”. Ham is the youngest of Noah’s three sons along with Japheth and Shem."

That's funny. I like my hamburgers black, hot, and burnt. But I don't like Burger King. Give me Culver's or Whataburger any day.
Alas we don't have any Culver's down here but I can get my Wataburger with green chili all over town, onion rings instead of fries. :thup:

Alas we don't have any Culver's down here but I can get my Wataburger with green chili all over town, onion rings instead of fries. :thup:
We HAVE a Culver's here in town but NO Whataburger. I miss Whataburger, it was my favorite burger joint when I lived in Arizona.

We HAVE a Culver's here in town but NO Whataburger. I miss Whataburger, it was my favorite burger joint when I lived in Arizona.

I miss them too. I used to eat there alot when I lived in Texas. Haven't seen a 7-11 store either, in the last 12 years, but Kwik-Trip stores are pretty good.

They're everywhere here in New Mexico, the primary competition is Lotaburger, a local chain started here in Duke City after WWII by a Navy vet. Though why people like Lotaburger is beyond me, eaten at two different sites in the last 5 years, the second time to give them another chance....... Two strikes and they're out, that was nasty.

I miss them too. I used to eat there alot when I lived in Texas. Haven't seen a 7-11 store either, in the last 12 years, but Kwik-Trip stores are pretty good.
All of our 7-11 stores are being rebranded as DK.

Don't be stupider than you have to be.

It's marketing. They want to sell burgers. In a majority Muslim country it's probably easier to do it they're called burgers instead of hamburgers
Hey, Dummy, "stupider" is NOT a word. You REALLY need to work on that grammar, dimwitted one.

It's marketing. They want to sell burgers. In a majority Muslim country it's probably easier to do it they're called burgers instead of hamburgers

Where are you getting that South Africa is a "majority Muslim" country? Muslims only account for 1.6% there, the majority being Christian.

Religion in South Africa - Wikipedia

Where are you getting that South Africa is a "majority Muslim" country? Muslims only account for 1.6% there, the majority being Christian.

Religion in South Africa - Wikipedia
Well, the Creepy one IS quite dim.

Once invited some visiting Saudi Arabian citizens to a picnic.

At first they were very reluctant to eat a hamburger until I explained that it was just the name and contained no ham. ... :cool:

Once invited some visiting Saudi Arabian citizens to a picnic.

At first they were very reluctant to eat a hamburger until I explained that it was just the name and contained no ham. ... :cool:

Although if someone is a strictly observant jihadi, beef and other meats are only supposed to be ok if they are "halal" which means the mean is blessed by an Ayatollah.

Although if someone is a strictly observant jihadi, beef and other meats are only supposed to be ok if they are "halal" which means the meat is blessed by an Ayatollah.
Ayatollah's are Shia muslim, not sure about their halal requirements.

Saudi's are Sunni muslim, same as me. Any muslim can say the blessing and then slaughter the animal according to Islamic religious practice to make the meat halal. ... :cool:

Last edited:
That's ridiculous since there is no HAM in a HAMburger
It's was originally called Hamburg Steak which came from the city of Hamburg Germany. The name Hamburg comes from the first permanent building on the site, a castle which the Emperor Charlemagne ordered constructed in AD 808. It rose on rocky terrain in a marsh between the River Alster and the River Elbe as a defense against Slavic incursion and acquired the name Hammaburg, burg meaning castle or fort.

Forum List

Back