"Black" Names

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

Urban blacks are not credited with much education
But they do come up with original names

The best that highly educated whites can come up with are John, James, Theresa, Mary

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

"Christian" names?

I have no problem with Malik or Trayvon. But when a set of parents deliberately names their son "Plaxico" I do have to question what the fuck they were thinking.

I admit my bias. With all other things being equal, I would prefer hiring someone with a name I can remember and pronounce.

"Christian" names?

I have no problem with Malik or Trayvon. But when a set of parents deliberately names their son "Plaxico" I do have to question what the fuck they were thinking.
Good Football player
Won us a Super Bowl

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.
Thank you very much Devontravious!

"Christian" names?

You really might want to examine the range of white peoples names before talking.

Yup... here - - - ^ ^ ^ - - - we have the "root cause of the problems" once again, BLACKS BLAMING WHITE PEOPLE FOR ALL THEIR PROBLEMS.

How utterly pathetic.

Thank you very much Devontravious!

Any time Tijn Von Ingersleben

"Christian" names?

You really might want to examine the range of white peoples names before talking.

I have to admit. White names are not very original

I was at the checkout line at a grocery store and the black girl bagging my stuff had a name tag on that said, "Zentyne".

Out of curiousity I asked about her name?

She told me that her Mother admired Zen buddhism and really liked Dentyne gum. So she combined the two and named her Zentyne. .. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Yup... here - - - ^ ^ ^ - - - we have the "root cause of the problems" once again, BLACKS BLAMING WHITE PEOPLE FOR ALL THEIR PROBLEMS.

How utterly pathetic.

You know, your argument would have merit if there was not evidence of laws and policies that support my assertion.

"Christian" names?

I have to admit. White names are not very original
Like "RIGHTWINGER?" ... :lol:

That's not original at all, seeing as you're a leftist joker.

Last edited:

Sorry, no. The root of the problem is how blacks behave in school. Every business knows when they get a resume from Shaquille, youre going to get an uneducated and disruptive and undisciplined worker.

It's up to the black community to change that perception. Threats won't work. Just raise the next generation better than the last.

How utterly pathetic.

You know, your argument would have merit if there was not evidence of laws and policies that support my assertion.
No race on the planet has been more ACCOMMODATED, CODDLED, GIVEN SPECIAL TREATMENT and ALLOWED TO ADVANCE WITHOUT MEETING the LEVELS OF IT'S PEERS than BLACKS. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION being example #1.

Your assertion is a FARCE.

Forum List

Back