Bit Defender

>>

In its note on the issue, posted around 4 pm Pacific Time, the company said it had issued a fix for the problem and offered instructions on how to repair the damage, saying that customers should remove files from quarantine and reboot.

Users who can't do that need to either use Windows' Last Known Good Configuration restore or System Restore options.
Bad BitDefender update clobbers Windows PCs

Turned out to be a big f up on BD's part. The damn thing was eating itself...along with every other program on the computer. jeesh! Not sure where you got that celebrity virus info from Val, but that wasn't the issue.

Uh, yeah. I have no idea what that's about. I simply turned on my computer and then all the fun started.

You say, eating itself....not really. It is putting files in the quarantine area. I think the fix will search for files in quarantine with that trojan name and un quarantine them..I hope.
Well, it did put itself in quarantine, which is why I said it ate itself. Apparently all is well, but not for the unlucky ones that rebooted.

Ooops! I'm so happy I switched to Linux Ubuntu. I keep threatening to switch my wife's Vista piece of crap over also but unfortunately she needs Windows for here job. At least I know not to put Bit Defender on the damn thing when I upgrade to 7 for her.

Ooops! I'm so happy I switched to Linux Ubuntu. I keep threatening to switch my wife's Vista piece of crap over also but unfortunately she needs Windows for here job. At least I know not to put Bit Defender on the damn thing when I upgrade to 7 for her.

Did you know that ubuntu doesnt work with a dell vostro 1000. It works but no matter what you do, it wont read the wireless card. Its a common problem on vostro 1000's it seems after doing a little research on this.

The only people affected by this bit defender problem were people with windows 64..(not 32) if they had bit defender. I am one of those people.

Like I said before, they would build a batch file that would unquarantine files, then you reboot your computer, and run the update for bitdefeneder.

All is well now, but I did lose a Saturday and boy oh boy did a lot of people lose their minds yesterday because they were impatient and tried to fix it themselves.

As far as you not using BD. Well, i have a feeling this will NEVER happen again. It would destroy their company. All anti virus companies screw up occasionally, so its a personal choice really. I will stay with them until my subscription runs out and if nothing happens between now and then, I will re subscribe.

Last edited:
Turned out to be a big f up on BD's part. The damn thing was eating itself...along with every other program on the computer. jeesh! Not sure where you got that celebrity virus info from Val, but that wasn't the issue.

Uh, yeah. I have no idea what that's about. I simply turned on my computer and then all the fun started.

You say, eating itself....not really. It is putting files in the quarantine area. I think the fix will search for files in quarantine with that trojan name and un quarantine them..I hope.
Well, it did put itself in quarantine, which is why I said it ate itself. Apparently all is well, but not for the unlucky ones that rebooted.

I left mine on for 24 hours....lol I am so glad I did a little reading before trying to fix anything. Its all good now with a simple exe file from them and a re boot.

Done deal for me, but I was a little concerned yesterday. Dammit, I am using my new computer as my blu ray player, so I lost a day of viewing :eek:.....no biggeeeee.

Did you know that ubuntu doesnt work with a dell vostro 1000. It works but no matter what you do, it wont read the wireless card. Its a common problem on vostro 1000's it seems after doing a little research on this.

The only people affected by this bit defender problem were people with windows 64..(not 32) if they had bit defender. I am one of those people.

Like I said before, they would build a batch file that would unquarantine files, then you reboot your computer, and run the update for bitdefeneder.

All is well now, but I did lose a Saturday and boy oh boy did a lot of people lose their minds yesterday because they were impatient and tried to fix it themselves.

As far as you not using BD. Well, i have a feeling this will NEVER happen again. It would destroy their company. All anti virus companies screw up occasionally, so its a personal choice really. I will stay with them until my subscription runs out and if nothing happens between now and then, I will re subscribe.

One of the reasons I refuse to buy Dell products. I have a couple of Dell desktops I'll let you have cheap. Hell, I can't even strip em down and reuse the cases with out installing a Dell mobo designed for each case, i.e. limited upgradeability. Currently I have an older IBM Lenovo T-60 laptop but I only use it for work. If I ever go straight laptop (I seriously doubt it) Toshiba has some very good products right now (for the money).

What about a dual boot? I had to put XP back on for work reasons (Open Office is great but I got MS Office Ultimate at student price so I installed it and use it for work reasons) and installed Karmic from a cd and it works beautifully, defaults to Ubuntu in grub. Doesn't seem to be any anger between them either.

I have a iMAC, it always works perfectly, it never gets viruses and I don't have any virus protection........ shit, I don't even know what the fuck you guys are talking about. Maybe I should get a Windows based machine so I can understand, yea sure.:razz::lol::lol::lol:

yep, some people seek out misery

This thing infected everyone with bit defender 2012 and windows 7 64. No fault of ours. We didnt click on anything. It is a bit defender issue, not a users one.

I don't think it affected everyone with windows 7 64.

emails and links need to clicked on

Not everyone with windows 7 64, everyone with windows 7 64 with bit defender.

This wasn't a windows thing, it was a bid defender thing.

I have a iMAC, it always works perfectly, it never gets viruses and I don't have any virus protection........ shit, I don't even know what the fuck you guys are talking about. Maybe I should get a Windows based machine so I can understand, yea sure.:razz::lol::lol::lol:

I hear you. the only problem with mac is, the price. In order to get anything even close to what I have now.

One of the reasons I refuse to buy Dell products. I have a couple of Dell desktops I'll let you have cheap. Hell, I can't even strip em down and reuse the cases with out installing a Dell mobo designed for each case, i.e. limited upgradeability. Currently I have an older IBM Lenovo T-60 laptop but I only use it for work. If I ever go straight laptop (I seriously doubt it) Toshiba has some very good products right now (for the money).

That is exactly what I bought two weeks ago.

Toshiba Qosmio X505. 18.4 inch screen. 500 gig hard drive and a blu ray player. Great freaking laptop except for my bit defender.....lol

33949166-2-200-0.gif

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q870 - Core i7 720QM 1.6 GHz - 18.4" TFT Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

That is exactly what I bought two weeks ago.

Toshiba Qosmio X505. 18.4 inch screen. 500 gig hard drive and a blu ray player. Great freaking laptop except for my bit defender.....lol

33949166-2-200-0.gif

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q870 - Core i7 720QM 1.6 GHz - 18.4" TFT Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

You got the i7 core, when I built my last desktop the i7 chipset was going for almost a grand - hello AMD! :lol: I prefer AMD anyway. Looks like the i7 price has been dropping, you can pick them up now for $400-500.

Hmmmm - sounds like a Mac anyway - a Toshiba Qosmiolotofdough

Its pronounced "Cosmios"...technically it is spanish for "damn this thing costs a lot". The mac is insane to get anything even close to what I have. I like the design and the fact that no one hacks them, but damn, they cost a lot to get a decent screen size in laptops.

:lol:

Last edited:
I didn't see anything about what type of screen the Toshiba has. I would imagine if it was an LED screen like the MacBook Pros have they would have mentioned it in their specs. That would be one major difference beside the fact that you have to use Windoze. Hell, even the much cheaper MacBooks have an LED screen.

I didn't see anything about what type of screen the Toshiba has. I would imagine if it was an LED screen like the MacBook Pros have they would have mentioned it in their specs. That would be one major difference beside the fact that you have to use Windoze. Hell, even the much cheaper MacBooks have an LED screen.

The one I have is not a true 1080i, it is a 720, but that is fine with the 18.4 inch screen. The next level up was a 1080i but it wasn't worth $500.00 extra just for that. (It is the Qosmio x505 880, I have the 870). The blu ray player on mine makes the screen really sharp and it transfers nice to my vizio t.v. So far, it is just fine for me and eventually I will start with the gamer crap. From what I read, it is really good for that purpose as well. I know next year it will be antiquated, but for the time being, it is fine with me.

When my wifes Vostro finally dies, I will really look into getting her a mac. I like the fact that NO ONE hacks into them. She has no interest in a huge screen and likes the fact that mac's are so thin, so we will see about that.

All anti virus companies screw up occasionally, so its a personal choice really. I will stay with them until my subscription runs out and if nothing happens between now and then, I will re subscribe.

scary thought: that people just accept this.

I am wondering whether I should get a piece of crap as a second computer, to be used for generalized browsing on the web. Then just keep my main computer for serious stuff and use it only when going to known...geesh..sigh....I miss my mac.

:(

All anti virus companies screw up occasionally, so its a personal choice really. I will stay with them until my subscription runs out and if nothing happens between now and then, I will re subscribe.

scary thought: that people just accept this.

I am wondering whether I should get a piece of crap as a second computer, to be used for generalized browsing on the web. Then just keep my main computer for serious stuff and use it only when going to known...geesh..sigh....I miss my mac.

:(

Honestly, you are right. Hackers just suck and for every anti virus program out there, there is a little virus just waiting to appear.

Mac's (from what I read) never get hacked.

Forum List

Back