Birth Control Pills For Men

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
Birth Control Pill for Men

Men may soon be able to bear their share of family planning. Since the advent of the birth control pill in the 1960s, women have used pills, patches, and implants to avoid becoming pregnant, but guys had only two choices — a condom or a vasectomy. That may soon change.

Researchers are testing forms of hormonal contraception for men that would temporarily stop the production of sperm. Formulations include an androgen and a progestin, which work together to block the production of sperm in much the same way female birth control pills prevent eggs from being released. These formulations have been even more effective at preventing pregnancy than condoms, but scientists have questioned whether or not the effects are permanent.

A study that reviewed male contraceptives has shown that after quitting the contraceptive, most men become fertile once again within five months, and 90 percent were fertile within a year.

Still, male contraception won’t be as simple as taking a pill each day. Dr. Peter Liu, who co-authored the study, thinks male contraception will consist of a monthly injection of an androgen, such as testosterone, coupled with a daily pill or implanted capsule of progestin.

Liu predicts the new form of male contraception will be popular once it is available. “Couples want to share the responsibility of family planning, and this allows them to do it,” said Liu.

Birth Control Pill for Men

Men may soon be able to bear their share of family planning. Since the advent of the birth control pill in the 1960s, women have used pills, patches, and implants to avoid becoming pregnant, but guys had only two choices — a condom or a vasectomy. That may soon change.

Researchers are testing forms of hormonal contraception for men that would temporarily stop the production of sperm. Formulations include an androgen and a progestin, which work together to block the production of sperm in much the same way female birth control pills prevent eggs from being released. These formulations have been even more effective at preventing pregnancy than condoms, but scientists have questioned whether or not the effects are permanent.

A study that reviewed male contraceptives has shown that after quitting the contraceptive, most men become fertile once again within five months, and 90 percent were fertile within a year.

Still, male contraception won’t be as simple as taking a pill each day. Dr. Peter Liu, who co-authored the study, thinks male contraception will consist of a monthly injection of an androgen, such as testosterone, coupled with a daily pill or implanted capsule of progestin.

Liu predicts the new form of male contraception will be popular once it is available. “Couples want to share the responsibility of family planning, and this allows them to do it,” said Liu.

I'd rather have the right to keep the fetus I helped create from being killed.

Nienna and Dillo,

Are you saying we should not use birth control? Do you think birth control kills fetuses?

Using birth control pills (for women), there is the possibility that IF an egg manages to get fertilized (some do), that egg will fail to implant and/or the nutritional lining may not be developed enough to sustain the fertilized egg. I would not use birth control pills on my body. (I can't anyway bc of a blood condition.)

However, I started this thread to see what people think about male birth control pills.

For myself as a male, in my earlier days I would have welcomed it. However I don't think most women would believe a man if he said, "I am on the male pill." Just as no man should believe a woman who says it, although we do and many of my friends have been trapped by that. This kind of birth control only gives piece of mind to the person who's taking it, not his/her partners.

I must admit, I am not a Catholic, but I have come around to the point of view that the Pope and the Church have. Birth control is immoral.

Here's why. It has imbalanced the gene pool. Dumbasses don't use birth control and produce many dumbasses. Intelligent people look at all these dumbasses running around and decide the humane thing to do is not to bring a new life into this dumbass world. It's only been going on like this since the early 60's but already we can see that the percentage of intelligent people in the world has declined because of this.

The main argument most people make in favor of birth control is that the world is overcrowded and we need to reduce population. However with pollution, driving SUV's, deforestation etc. what we really need is a change in lifestyle. A drop in numbers will not save the planet or the human race. I think birth control is ineffective as a way to save the planet.

I mentioned that factor. It's a heinous thing but the man always ends up paying for it.

I thought you mentioned men doing that. I think I meant "remember women who do that', instead of 'what about'. OMG. Is this what Roomy's world is like? " I think I ment this , but I forget".

Seriously though, I think birth control such as this, for men is a good idea.

The morning after pill is being sold over the counter in Canada (I think, there was a thread about it somewhere, maybe it's not official yet) and I have to admit to posting that I would buy it for my daughter in an emergency.

I'd do it until I saw this part.... Nope I'm a wimp!:funnyface

C'mon, Mr. P! My last three pregnancies, I had to inject myself with heparin twice a day! It's not pleasant, but not THAT big a deal! :tng:

C'mon, Mr. P! My last three pregnancies, I had to inject myself with heparin twice a day! It's not pleasant, but not THAT big a deal! :tng:

Comes from when I was a kid. I had tonsillitis all the time. The treatment of choice was an injection of 3cc of penicillin in the butt. To this day, just the thought of a shot brings back that pain.

Nienna and Dillo,

Are you saying we should not use birth control? Do you think birth control kills fetuses?

No--I'm saying that if I am going to be given a choice in "family planning" I would like the right to prevent the killing of my unborn child.

No--I'm saying that if I am going to be given a choice in "family planning" I would like the right to prevent the killing of my unborn child.

Are you saying that it's a raw deal that when women go through with the pregnancy we are held responsible, but that when they decide not to, we have nothing to say in the matter? If so, I agree. I believe that kind of thing is called a double standard.

Are you saying that it's a raw deal that when women go through with the pregnancy we are held responsible, but that when they decide not to, we have nothing to say in the matter? If so, I agree. I believe that kind of thing is called a double standard.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Some women are livid that they can't have sex without having to think or deal about the real consequences of them becoming pregnant. Why should I take part in any family planning when the female has all the legal authority to make family planning decisions all by herself? Male contraception is a little bone to toss to males to make them think they have some say in reproduction rights.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc

Forum List

Back