Bill would replace Columbus Day with day honoring Chief Standing Bear, other Native American leaders

About time...

Columbus wasn't from this country, wasn't from England, failed to find the West Indies, did not discover America, enslaved half the Natives he found, killed the other half...

LINCOLN — A line spanning nearly 400 years connects Italian explorer Christopher Columbus to Chief Standing Bear of the Ponca Tribe.

When Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, he touched off European colonization that resulted in centuries of displacement of indigenous peoples. In 1879, Standing Bear fought his own removal in an Omaha courtroom, resulting in a landmark decision that recognized Native Americans as people under the law.

Now a state senator from Lincoln wants to replace Columbus Day with an official state holiday honoring Standing Bear and other leaders from Nebraska’s four American Indian tribes. The bill also could bring a national conflict over Columbus — a hero to some, a villain to others — to the floor of the Nebraska Legislature.

“We don’t have a day honoring our first people,” said State Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks. “Truly, Standing Bear is our Martin Luther King.”

Bill would replace Columbus Day with day honoring Chief Standing Bear, other Native American leaders

Excellent idea.

Okey dokey. Christopher Columbus never ever touched the shores of America.

Why is everyone freaking out about the dude?

American myths.

I am down with adding another federal holiday to the calendar.
We need a holiday for a Jew.

I would like to see Moses' Day on Yom Kippur.

And we should make Good Friday also Federal.

We have a holiday for a Negro.

We don't need a holiday for a digger Indian.

Make all those holidays.

LINCOLN — A line spanning nearly 400 years connects Italian explorer Christopher Columbus to Chief Standing Bear of the Ponca Tribe.

When Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, he touched off European colonization that resulted in centuries of displacement of indigenous peoples. In 1879, Standing Bear fought his own removal in an Omaha courtroom, resulting in a landmark decision that recognized Native Americans as people under the law.

Now a state senator from Lincoln wants to replace Columbus Day with an official state holiday honoring Standing Bear and other leaders from Nebraska’s four American Indian tribes. The bill also could bring a national conflict over Columbus — a hero to some, a villain to others — to the floor of the Nebraska Legislature.

“We don’t have a day honoring our first people,” said State Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks. “Truly, Standing Bear is our Martin Luther King.”

Excellent idea.
Nobody cares about the stupid digger Indians.

They lost their land to germs and guns.

You're just jelly.

Excellent idea.

Give them their own day...I can always use another federal holiday....but Columbus stays....

Typical. We pay for your laziness.

Besides, King TrumpleThinSkin wants to name a new national holiday where we will all be forced to salute the flag. No, I'm not kidding but hey, maybe we can spend that same day saying happy xmas.

Either way, the tax payers widll be forced to pony up for whatever the fascist slime wants.

If not for Columbus the primitive natives would still have no word for wheel, and still would have no clue what a horse is.

Just kidding.

They would have eventually figured out how to build a wheel and make boat bigger than a canoe.

I mean, I am sure they would have. I, I am just sure....they would have.

Excellent idea.

Give them their own day...I can always use another federal holiday....but Columbus stays....

Typical. We pay for your laziness.

Besides, King TrumpleThinSkin wants to name a new national holiday where we will all be forced to salute the flag. No, I'm not kidding but hey, maybe we can spend that same day saying happy xmas.

Either way, the tax payers widll be forced to pony up for whatever the fascist slime wants.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the bill in Nebraska.

Excellent idea.
Nobody cares about the stupid digger Indians.

They lost their land to germs and guns.

That's what happened to the Poles about 80 years ago, isn't it?

Excellent idea.

I don't know about knocking Columbus off the holiday, but I would be open to expanding it. That wouldn't be a bad idea since it's related

Why do we celebrate a man that to the day he died swore he went to Asia? Even after it was proved he was wrong he denied it. He was responsible for bringing back syphilis (according to one hypothesis). He never reached what we is now called the United States. It's like celebrating mediocrity.

But I guess in this day and age everyone gets a trophy for trying. :laugh2:

If sharing space is as close as it can get then it might be doable.

LOL, he did make it across the ocean

Next time you want to celebrate an American Indian go to a powwow.

There are many Chiefs that deserve recognition.

I haven't been to a pow wow in some years.

If not for Columbus the primitive natives would still have no word for wheel, and still would have no clue what a horse is.

Just kidding.

They would have eventually figured out how to build a wheel and make boat bigger than a canoe.

I mean, I am sure they would have. I, I am just sure....they would have.
No. They wouldn't. I know you're being sarcastic but some might agree with that.

as a full blooded Wopaho im kinda conflicted.....
As a full blooded Native American (I was born here, my parents were born here, their parents were born here), I'm not conflicted. My European ancestors brought civilization to this hemisphere

I think Harry just has a Cherokee princess problem Navajo style. Or not. Hell, I don't know.

Last edited:
Little Patty could best honor Chief Standing Bear by packing up her little girl panties and self-deporting to wherever her forebears came from when they stole his people's land.

But.....

Awwww, you know......

She won't.

Excellent idea.
I don't understand why replacing Columbus Day with another holiday.
Maybe they could add a day honoring Standing Bear without repealing Columbus Day
I mean Christopher Columbus was a very important historical figure for the entire world (and for America above all) :)

Forum List

Back